R6 vs FZ6 vs CBR vs GSXR - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ebster1085

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
STK
My R6 eats me.

R6 vs FZ6 vs CBR vs GSXR

Hey everyone, I'm new here so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I felt it was pretty much on point.

For the past year I've been getting into sport bikes, and February of this year I bought my very first bike.

It's a 2005 Ninja 250. I bought this bike cause it was my first bike so I didn't know what to expect out of anything. Since I bought it, I've been absolutely in love with it. I love the freedom of riding a bike and the experience that comes with it. However, over the months I've been starting to get "too bored" with it as most people would agree, a 250 does. So next summer I'm planning to get a 600cc / 650cc sport bike. The question is, which one?

I'm narrowing my choices down to either the Yamaha R6, Yamaha FZ6, Suzuki GSXR, or Honda CBR. Can I get y'alls inputs on each of these bikes, please?

From what I'm understanding, GSXRs, and R6s are more track-oriented bikes, and I'm hearing CBRs are more street-oriented bikes and are designed more properly and comfortable. I've heard that CBRs are more reliable and haven't had nearly as many recalls as the other makes have had. I do like the exhaust underneath the seat, but can that be done with any bike? I do plan to add a couple mods to the bike such as a rev-limiter, custom paint job, probably with plasti-dip, frame sliders, LED under-glow lighting, maybe some LED turn signals and probably a couple other things I can't think of at the moment. What bike handles with mods like these better? Can I get all of your opinions and experiences please?

To be honest, I'm looking for speed and power delivery of a bike. On my Ninja, I throttle on a hill and I just stay put pretty much, sometimes I even decrease in speed. I know almost any super sport bike would fix this issue, but what bike do you guys like the best?

I'm a 19 year old male from Colorado. About 5'6" tall and roughly about 170 lbs. Though I am in the land of the hills and mountains, it is actually pretty flat where I am for the most part. There are a lot of pot holes here, though.

Last edited by STK; 10-18-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:26 AM
My R6 eats me.

Re: R6 vs FZ6 vs CBR vs GSXR

I ride a 2009 FZ6, it's been a great bike to me. Super reliable.

Pros:
  • Just as fast as R6 until 100 mph (I've actually beat a few R6 down the 1/4 mile, but I blame the riders on those bikes. With equal launches I'm usually dead even through the 1/8th with supersports including the R6, but after the 1/8th they walk me to the 1/4.)
  • More comfortable than R6
  • Cheaper insurance than R6
  • Looks (subjective)
  • Keeps up with supersports at the track (up to a certain point)
  • Easier to make slow speed maneuvers on (parking lots, traffic, etc.)

Cons:
  • Heavier than R6
  • Slower over 100 mph (good luck passing that R6 down the front straight of your favorite track)
  • Suspension not as good
  • Doesn't corner as well
  • Throttle not as smooth (fueling)
  • Aerodynamics not as good as R6

Personally, I'm considering buying a R6 IN ADDITION TO my FZ6. I've spent a good amount of time on a couple of 2008+ R6's and there's no way I'd trade my FZ6 for one (for street riding). However, for track riding (dragstrip or circuit) the R6 is where it's at.

Last edited by thisisbenji; 10-19-2015 at 11:34 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Yamaha 4 Life

A lot of this decision should depend on what kind of riding you do. That said...

I used to own a 2008 FZ6 and it was an awesome bike. As mentioned above, its a great motor and down low is very similar to its R6 brother. The bike has raised bars and an upright seating position, so it caters well to comfortable street riding. Looks wise, I think it is pretty ugly, but a lot can be done to spruce it up. I turned mine into a street fighter which didnt cost much and made the bike look bad ass. Note that the newer FZ6 is a much different beast than its predecessor with a dubbed down motor and a cheaper looking 160 rear tire. If you go this route, I recommend the older version.

I see you also mentioned the 650 power plant as an option. Both the Ninja 650R and Suzuki SV650 are also great road bikes. Comfortable to ride, much more power than your 250, and a nice flat power curve which is great for the street. I had a 650R for a bit and really enjoyed it. Not the same "thrill" as a supersport 4 banger, but lots of fun none the less, and would be a great transition from your 250.

The R6, CBR 600, and GSXR 600 are all very comparable 600cc super sports. The R6 is the most aggressive of the bunch and also lacks the low and mid range power that are more suitable for street use. If you want a sick track bike, I say go for an R6. Also a nice token is that (I think) it looks the nicest. The GSXR is considered by many to be the most comfortable to ride on the street as it has a lower seat (could also help since you are 5'6") and a slightly more relaxed riding position. The Honda is also a fine choice, but considered by many to be boring. It seems like if Honda isnt dumping millions into a prototype bike, they just arent competitive. All three, as well as the ZX6R are similar bikes and equally reliable. Not a ton separating any of them if you ask me.

You may also want to consider the R6S as an option which is a nice "middle ground" of sorts. Very simple bike without all the track oriented bells and whistles of the R6R, but still a great bike, especially for street use.

Good luck, and happy buying!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster1085 View Post
Looks wise, I think it is pretty ugly, but a lot can be done to spruce it up.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love the looks of mine, it's a very simple motorcycle.

Your right though, stock they're pretty ugly. This bike was designed to be a naked from the start. That bikini fairing that the US version got is hideous.

Fortunately, doing a naked conversion on a FZ6 couldn't be easier.

Personally, if I had the funds, my #1 choice would be a Street Triple R. That bike is inline price wise with the supersports, meaning more expensive than the FZ6. However, it's a super quality machine. It really leaves nothing to be desired on the street. You get supersport quality suspension and handling, all day comfort, and that amazing inline three motor.

Last edited by thisisbenji; 10-19-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Yamaha 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I love the looks of mine, it's a very simple motorcycle.

Your right though, stock they're pretty ugly. This bike was designed to be a naked from the start. That bikini fairing that the US version got is hideous.

Fortunately, doing a naked conversion on a FZ6 couldn't be easier.
Agreed on all counts. Pic of mine attached. I thought it looked awesome, and worlds better than it did in stock trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ6.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	288281  
thisisbenji likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
STK
My R6 eats me.

When you say the R6 lacks low to mid-rage power, what does that mean exactly? In my example earlier with the hill. Let's compare the R6 to a bike though would have better low to mid range power, does that mean when I throttle the other bike will go farther than the R6, even being on a hill?

I don't necessarily need a super powerful bike, but I do want it to be there when I desire it. I'm kind of leaning towards the R6 because while I have heard good things about all of the bikes, the R6 seems to be the most popular and bang for your buck kind of bike. Would you agree?

I wouldn't be taking it on a track, just cruising the streets.

I rode down to my local bike shop and rode an FZ6, and a GSX-S 750. I kept stalling on the GSXS, and it was very tall. Even when leaning to one side I had to be on my toes. The sound of the bike just sounded like a higher-pitched version of my bike, and I just didn't like the overall style of it. The FZ6 I rode was very nice. I thought it was smooth on the throttle, the sound of the bike was beautiful, and it was a lot lower than the GSXS. Though, looking at bikes like Thisisbenji posted, I just don't like that look with the pipes exposed like that. I like full on fairings. If I get an FZ6, would I be able to add a fairing that covers it, like my Ninja has?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:16 PM
My R6 eats me.

R6 and FZ6 has gobs of low and mid range power compared to your 250, not so much compared to a Triumph 675. Although, the jump from R6 to 675 is MUCH MUCH smaller than the jump from 250 to R6.

You can get belly pans for the FZ6 to cover the headers as well, but I like my pipes exposed.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honestly, in the 600cc class, pick whatever bike is most comfortable for you and you like the looks of. That's all that really matters, they're all so close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in