Li-Ion Motorcycle Battery Review - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Thumbs down Li-Ion Motorcycle Battery Review

The R6 wasn't designed for cold weather. The small lead-acid battery simply doesn't have the cranking amps for it.

Couple of years ago I bought a new Li-Ion Shorai brand, well known, flawless reputation, via manufacturer website. Same or better CCA rating and the battery manufacturer recommended replacement for my lead-acid model. Longer story short, I immediately had to reinstall the lead-acid. In all the reviews and forum postings, no one mentioned that Li-Ion *severely* under-performs in cold weather. It requires unrealistically long "wake up" times and even then, would bbaarreelly sustain a good enough crank to start. It too was optimized for weight and size. Given it's smaller size, I did look at a larger replacement with higher than OEM lead-acid CCA but the post arrangements were different.

That turned out to be a real waste of time and money for me. Just wish the manufacturer, reviewers and forum posters would've given me the benefit of a heads-up about cold weather performance of these Li-Ion batteries. Apparently "CCA" rating is only good, within a given technology of battery and doesn't necessarily translate well between them.

I may settle on wiring up a custom quick-connect with 14 gauge wire; using a Li-Ion jumper instead.

BOTTOM LINE: Stick to lead-acid if you ride in cold weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Li-Ion Motorcycle Battery Review

You are in Cinci?

And unless you are doing track days nothing is wrong with keeping everything stock
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 AM
I eat my R6

The only time i have wanted to “upgrade” a battery was to lose weight.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:51 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duder View Post
The only time i have wanted to “upgrade” a battery was to lose weight.
I stopped eating candy for a few months and had the same effect!
R6Jay. likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

@
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Affirmative. There are a ton of dry days in the Winter that I could be taking advantage of for more seat time. But low-20s is risking a no-start, stranded; until I find a good quick connect. The Rugged Geek Li-Ion jumpers look like something I can just throw in the backpack along with other gear. Yeah I've been all street, solo rider. If there is such a thing as an "open track" as in, just show up and ride for kicks, no leather suit, I'd do it. Showing up with competition racers doing everything they can to come in first, nah. It ain't that serious for me. I'll peak out at 172 and come out of a corner near maximum lean angle but I'm not going to risk a dismount just to get past someone. Those types can have the track to themselves.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane View Post
I stopped eating candy for a few months and had the same effect!
You took the words from beneath my fingers LoL...
Urbane likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 AM
I eat my R6

Lol, you should do a novice day at sportbike track time at Putnam Park SW of Indianapolis, or go to Mid Ohio and do a Mid-O novice day. They don't allow corner passing, just straight line passing stuff in the Novice group.

Rules for their org - Just need a two piece text or leather, preferred to zip together:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Thanks for the locations. That's step one. I'll see what their schedules and pricing are like. Step three will then be pricing out some skin suits. But I did that before and know that they aren't cheap.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
@
- Affirmative. There are a ton of dry days in the Winter that I could be taking advantage of for more seat time. But low-20s is risking a no-start, stranded; until I find a good quick connect. The Rugged Geek Li-Ion jumpers look like something I can just throw in the backpack along with other gear. Yeah I've been all street, solo rider. If there is such a thing as an "open track" as in, just show up and ride for kicks, no leather suit, I'd do it. Showing up with competition racers doing everything they can to come in first, nah. It ain't that serious for me. I'll peak out at 172 and come out of a corner near maximum lean angle but I'm not going to risk a dismount just to get past someone. Those types can have the track to themselves.
Never riding a super sport on a race track is like having a law degree and not practicing law. You owe it to yourself to experience it. Novice groups are great learning experiences and most include classroom components as well.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Thanks for the locations. That's step one. I'll see what their schedules and pricing are like. Step three will then be pricing out some skin suits. But I did that before and know that they aren't cheap.
Riders discount has some great deals on RST suits. He is their winter sale add on the zx10 forum.. Not sure if it is on here or not. @
;

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in