They look awesome
Dude! Thank you
Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: LED Headlight Cap Adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezr6 View Post
That looks awesome. Man the clearance there is tight. I want to ask, did your LEDs have fans? It seems that one’s that do cause moisture in the lens like a kid breathing his hot breath on glass. It seemed that so far the only way to mitigate the issue is unplugging all 4 breather/vent caps on the back to let the hot air vapor out. But no full preventative measures yet.

Anyone, ideas?
Drop a few dessicant packets in the housing. Open them up only on a day with low humidity.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- good thinking!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 PM
I eat my R6

Garage
Yeah the leds i installed do have fans. I have not had any issues with moisture inside my headlight housing. Of course, when i did the leds, i did an H4 conversion and installed halos and turn signal leds inside the housing also, but thats a different topic for a different thread. However in doing all that it forced me to removed the lens and then reseal it when i put it back on.

My housing is dry inside 24/7.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 PM
I eat my R6

Garage
And thanks for the comments guys.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post

Drop a few dessicant packets in the housing. Open them up only on a day with low humidity.

@
- good thinking!

Thanks for the suggestion, Just bought it. I’ll try it and see the outcome. I’m curious on the effectiveness. Like how much water can be absorbed over a given time per whatever sealed volume.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareForTakeOff View Post
Yeah the leds i installed do have fans. I have not had any issues with moisture inside my headlight housing. Of course, when i did the leds, i did an H4 conversion and installed halos and turn signal leds inside the housing also, but thats a different topic for a different thread. However in doing all that it forced me to removed the lens and then reseal it when i put it back on.

My housing is dry inside 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareForTakeOff View Post
And thanks for the comments guys.
Interesting. Quite the setup. Gooot to hear not all LEDs cause moisture.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezr6 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Just bought it. Iíll try it and see the outcome. Iím curious on the effectiveness. Like how much water can be absorbed over a given time per whatever sealed volume.
@
was nice enough to perform an experiment on request -

I was thinking, abrasion may eventually wear a hole in those packets, much like it's worn holes in the jumper-cable bags that are in my trunk. (I've since wrapped them in cloth rags.) Then you'll have a minor mess inside those housings. It may be a good idea to use a little folded-over packaging tape to try and secure the packets. (of course if they're taped down from the top side, it'll mostly block them from absorbing moisture)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
@
was nice enough to perform an experiment on request -

I was thinking, abrasion may eventually wear a hole in those packets, much like it's worn holes in the jumper-cable bags that are in my trunk. (I've since wrapped them in cloth rags.) Then you'll have a minor mess inside those housings. It may be a good idea to use a little folded-over packaging tape to try and secure the packets. (of course if they're taped down from the top side, it'll mostly block them from absorbing moisture)

Things worked out great. I used a hair dryer to evaporate the condensation off the lens then heated up the desiccant packets and put them in the housing and let sit over night. Looks good. Thanks for that.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Hey just a follow up to this problem. It seems that the LEDs I used were the culprit. A combination of the way the fans blew along with the structure of how the reflectors sat guided the hot air right onto the lens causing the problem. By simply switching to another LED headlight I no longer had the problem. The new LEDs I got has the fans blow the hot air out the rear.

Last edited by nezr6; 06-12-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in