LED Headlight Cap Adapters - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

LED Headlight Cap Adapters

Hey there,

I've been on and off this forum throughout the years and am either buying or selling parts for my shop. I also have asked for help or gave help in the general discussions based off my experience. This is my first post in the product reviews section though so please if I am not within the guidelines just let me know.

In regards to the product, I really like the effect that LEDs have. They are bright, more efficient (draws less current), and come in different color outputs across the temperature spectrum such as 6000k. It seems that a lot of people are upgrading or wanting to upgrade to LEDs now. The issue is that with most LEDs, the back of the LED headlight sticks out pass where the headlight cap screws back in. So a lot of riders have the same issue of riding without caps on the back and when it's humid out, the lenses would have condensation inside them. The amount of moisture over some time may affect the terminals and electronics inside. I decided to develop these cap adapters for LEDs that are extended in the back so that they screw in just like the original ones but are also able to fit the entire LED in the housing. I 3D printed prototypes to get it all started, but sine a lot of people were interested in it I ended up getting them professionally made. The sealing is perfect and it got rid of any condensation. Later I included selling them in my motorcycle business. Attached are some pictures showing the concept and comparison.

I just hope that this will reassure people that they can buy LEDs without worrying about the physical constraints LEDs carry, and not limit or guide people away from being able to upgrade their headlights to see better and be more aware as well as safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_04841.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	360114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Injection Top.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	360116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Injection ISO.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	360118   Click image for larger version

Name:	injection-install.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	360120  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange
Re: LED Headlight Cap Adapters

Can you PM me more info, or a site to get them. I have a 2005 and 2009 both with LED and would really like to cover those holes back up

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Yeah, of course.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Are the caps the same between the quads and duals?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Are the caps the same between the quads and duals?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If you mean between the R6s and R6r, yes. The OEM number for the caps on both headlights are the same.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

How do I get a set of these? Just installed my LEDs and as you said, they stick out past the dust cap
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:16 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

I saw the DRIM setup on the site. I just have black electrical tape over the upper part of right-hand side lamp, allowing me to run it full time without blinding drivers. Can you develop and sell a professional looking "masking" alternative? Kind of like a peel and attach "wrap" for the headlamp(s), masking off the top part and thus allowing to keep the full luminance.

Question about the cap adapters: I have R6S model with the quad lights. Do the cap adapters fit without hitting the left/right "console panel" fairing behind it?

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
I saw the DRIM setup on the site. I just have black electrical tape over the upper part of right-hand side lamp, allowing me to run it full time without blinding drivers. Can you develop and sell a professional looking "masking" alternative? Kind of like a peel and attach "wrap" for the headlamp(s), masking off the top part and thus allowing to keep the full luminance.

Question about the cap adapters: I have R6S model with the quad lights. Do the cap adapters fit without hitting the left/right "console panel" fairing behind it?

I noticed we chatted a bit about the DRIM and your taping method in another thread. That’s a good idea, but I don’t think a professional looking masking alternative will carry many benefits over tape if you think about simplicity, availability, and cost. Especially with a big investment in R&D just to launch a new product.

In regards to the R6s, you’re correct. It looks like those ram air covers ride up to the back of the caps pretty tightly. Although the cap adapters fit the housing, the plastics wouldn’t allow it. So an R6s using these may not be ideal. I need to confirm this as we haven’t had an R6s in ever since the caps were made. Thanks!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 PM
I eat my R6

Garage
In regards to installing led headlamps in the quad light bikes.

The leds i purchased also had the heat sink stick out past the housing not allowing the dust cap to screw on. At first i modified the original dust cap, and then it dawned on me that home depot sells FERNCO plumbing caps. I believe the correct diameter was 4". They were less than 10 bucks each and they look nice. Clamp them on with a large hose clamp and problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_001257_HDR_1552799782727.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	360294  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepareForTakeOff View Post
In regards to installing led headlamps in the quad light bikes.

The leds i purchased also had the heat sink stick out past the housing not allowing the dust cap to screw on. At first i modified the original dust cap, and then it dawned on me that home depot sells FERNCO plumbing caps. I believe the correct diameter was 4". They were less than 10 bucks each and they look nice. Clamp them on with a large hose clamp and problem solved.
That looks awesome. Man the clearance there is tight. I want to ask, did your LEDs have fans? It seems that one’s that do cause moisture in the lens like a kid breathing his hot breath on glass. It seemed that so far the only way to mitigate the issue is unplugging all 4 breather/vent caps on the back to let the hot air vapor out. But no full preventative measures yet.

Anyone, ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in