Woolich Racing leaving a bad taste. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Woolich Racing leaving a bad taste.

woolich racing is a company that makes flashing kits for your ecu. much like FTECU. I bought $1253 worth of it. I have the onboard flash cable, logging device, quickshifter with autoblipper, and the zietronix wideband O2 sensor setup for auto tuning. basically everything they offer for the R1 except the pit lane limiter button for the handle bar. I don't have a problem with their system as it works as intended even though it has a few quirks. I do have a problem with how they don't tell you if you don't flash your bike often (every 3 months) they deactivate your account and you have to open a support ticket and wait days for someone to re-activate it. I spent a lot of money on this system, I should be able to use it whenever I feel like it. it's as if my purchase is always being held hostage. what happens if WR goes out of business and my account is dead? I means I can't log into the software and I own $1253 worth of paper weights. and apparently they can see everything you do to your bike. because he gave me the exact date I last flashed my ecu. so yeah, you don't own anything you bought. you're renting it.

there is only 1 guy responding to help tickets apparently. he is a nice guy and all but the company's policy is complete bullshit. I don't feel this is legal in any way so I sent a complaint to the Ohio AG. we will see how it goes.

so if you're looking at buying one of these systems just beware that this is how woolich racing conducts business after your purchase, you don't technically own it. I would only recommend FTECU instead after having to deal with this.

if there is any of you guys with issues with FTECU or Woolich please share. I'm not purchasing systems from companies with this kind of policy ever again.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-25-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Woolich Racing leaving a bad taste.

Don't know what their brochure documentation states, but it sure sounds like a 'hidden gotcha' to me. A small claims court filing may spur them to reconsider any refusal to return/refund; particularly if it were marketed/sold without adequate documentation.

Is the product licensed per individual or per VIN or both or neither?

Maybe all this is because they don't want one individual flashing 300 bikes?

Do they also provide and maintain a repository of programs?

There are a lot of companies in general that try to turn what was traditionally a one-time purchase into a monthly bill. Pelaton for example.
The video game industry has gone that way, for another example. Modern games generally require that a server be built and maintained now though. Cisco tries this with many of their product line. It's a more sustainable business model for situations where on-going support of a product is required; and an otherwise more lucrative approach to normal operations. Some home A/C repair places are more interested in selling a monthly service agreement than actually diagnosing and repairing the problem. Microsoft sells you the O/S once, but ends up patching it for over a decade; which ordinarily isn't a sustainable model. They've been using income generated by their corporate and business licensing to prop-up and sustain their consumer operations. Other companies such as Apple, D-Link, etcetera, simply drop support rather than continually sustain older products.

Legitimate or not, they may respond to any AG inquiry by claiming the approach is required to limit piracy/theft and sustain on going support costs. You may want to file with their home state's AG. It may also help if you've identified specific ways in which their practices violate specific law. Anything going through government action it seems, can unfortunately take years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage
It seems they just deactivate you from being able to use the software if you don't flash your bike often.
When the software starts it has a login popup before it even starts to load. The system doesn't get online. As it will work offline. But when you turn on wifi etc that's when it sends the data back to them.
I guess if I don't keep it online they think I've found a loophole to flash other bikes possibly. However, you can't download another bin file( the files for another bike). You have to purchase them before that can happen. Apparently it reads the serial number or something in the ecu. So you can only flash that single ECU.
And that's all fine and dandy.

But I should be always able to log into the software to tweak my bike regardless how long it's been since the last time I used it. This is where my complaint is.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-26-2019 at 05:55 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

This was a serious read. This is crazy from a consumer standpoint. Thanks for posting.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 AM
I eat my R6

It's a valid complaint. This sounds like an activation scheme that many software companies employ. Once it activates on the internet, it'll allow use of the generated token for some predetermined amount of time. Depending on how "well" or thorough the software was engineered, sometimes you can simply roll the clock back prior to token expiration to get around the impending reactivation problem.

Some companies, as they're going out of business will transfer the software to GPL and release a final update that removes or disables the activation mechanisms. Valve software's Steam platform I think does that temporary activation crap. You have to put it on the internet for initial activation and make sure it's able to check in every so often; or it won't let you run it offline. I've had customers that purchased tax prep software from Office Depot, Staples, etcetera. Because they were out in the boonies with no way to get internet, they couldn't activate it, and was therefore useless to them. Their tech support was ill-informed and not helpful. Situations like this are why Microsoft has phone-in activation for XP, Vista, 7. There are many ready-made anti-theft solutions out there that software companies license and incorporate into their release product. Companies typically engineer certain "triggers" in their anti-piracy software, such as a time change, that automatically invalidate the existing token; requiring another online activation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage

i've noticed on the software it's linked to my laptop before I replaced the harddrive to a SSD and re-installed windows. it's showing the old computer name. it's still showing that i have not used it since 2017. even though I just did a write to the ecu this morning. I wonder if this is the issue. they're just so bad at communication it's pain in the ass to find out.

honestly I would love to see laws passed that this kind of "gotcha" stuff needs to be in the product description without having to read 7 pages of legal mumbo-jumbo AFTER you already paid for it. they do not provide any of the legal agreement until after they have your money.

below is a screenshot of what I'm talking about. my pc name has changed since then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woolich shit.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	361446  

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-26-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:54 PM
I eat my R6

I think that's probably just the original download and/or revision date. Have you noticed the date progressively changing before?

2 Race Tools Keys - does this equal the number of bikes that the software is registered with?
1 BIN file key - so it looks like you can purchase more than one BIN file for that specific vehicle. When you click on it to show info on that BIN file, it says "purchase"... why?

Is there a 'help' 'about' or 'license' menu that allows you to confirm status and details of the software registration?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
I think that's probably just the original download and/or revision date. Have you noticed the date progressively changing before?
I initially bought this kit in feb of 2016. so this 2017 stuff is arbitrary to me. it doesn't correlate with anything on my end. all of my flashes are automatically dated and none of them are the date they have. but you don't really ever look at that screen after you've already chosen the correct ecu setup. I have not looked at that since 2016. that's the first thing you do when they unlock the software with your email confirmation. after that you just open the bin file thats been downloaded already. that screen is where you download it from woolich.

2 Race Tools Keys - does this equal the number of bikes that the software is registered with? no it's the amount of the features I think. it came with the quick shifter and auto blipper. so i think that's what that means. the R1 already has a launch control built in but they do sell one separate for guys with air shifters for drag racing. the other options are pit lane limiter and an engine warm up. it blips the throttle and warms the engine up faster like you hear the motogp teams doing. it's useless shit I don't use.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and yamaha's launch control is useless in my opinion. you still have to keep the bike from flipping even with wheelie control on during launches with LCS activated. all it seems to be is a 10k rpm rev limiter so you can hold the throttle open sitting there.

1 BIN file key - so it looks like you can purchase more than one BIN file for that specific vehicle. When you click on it to show info on that BIN file, it says "purchase"... why?
you can buy as many as you want for $100 ea. i imagine so you can flash more than 1 bike. they discount it if you buy 3 pack. the only info about the bin file is what you see in that picture. the rest of it is just the maps etc.
the weird thing is with my purchase i have access to just about any suzuki key for free. don't know if that's a mistake but it lets me download them.
Is there a 'help' 'about' or 'license' menu that allows you to confirm status and details of the software registration?
everything in the software sends you to their website. so if I click on account it takes me to their website where I have to login there. and it just shows you what you bought. no other kind of info about how they hold your purchase hostage for life.

replies are in the quote.

screenshot of the free suzuki files
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	free suzuki files.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	361448  

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-26-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in