CustomLED Integrated Tail - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
CustomLED Integrated Tail

Initial Thoughts
One of the few flaws, to me anyways, of the '03's is the mudflap/rear blinker combo. To remedy this situation, I choose a CustomLED (
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) Integrated tail kit. My chosen vendor suggested McCoy Motorsports as the outlet of choice for the purchase since they were running a special on them. I paid $179.00 plus $10 for shipping for a total of $189.99 (yes, I know, fantastic math skills! what else did you expect 6 years of college to impart upon me?). There were many other vendors out there that had similar kits but I chose this one as I had seen a animation of it somewhere and the blinker lights are offset a bit to the outside of the brake lights on their respective sides so it gives it a bit of an animated look as if the blinker is kinda of moving in that direction. Aside from that, it's also much brighter then the stock LED's. So by installing this, I could clean up the rear quite a bit and make room for my pipe as well. When I received the piece (2 days), it was quite the looker. Lots and lots of LED's, good directions and some real nice waterproof wire splicers. I couldn't wait to get it installed.
The Install
After reading through the directions once, I set about installing it. Now, one quick word. You'll need some kind of rotary tool (ala Rotozip, Dremel, etc) and a cutting wheel. I went to Home DePot and looked through their tool corral for Dremel cutting wheels. I came upon a small canister of them, about 36 of them for $5.99 that were less than an 1/8 in width (#409 wheel I believe). Then I saw a cutoff wheel pack that included the same canister, plus another one of different sizes and about 20 other sizes (2 each of those) for $9.98 so I grabbed that as you never know what other uses you might have for them... Just some shopping advice... what can I say, I'm a cheap ass.... Anyways, once you get the passenger and drivers seats off, you can unbolt the stock mudflap from the trunk and then proceed to remove the plastic pop rivets from the undertail by pushing in the center of them until they "pop" and then pull them out. Drop the undertail down and let it hang for the moment. Then remove the one allen bolt that holds the tail on right above the tail light assembly (and 2 smaller pop rivets at the drivers seat). You can now remove the tail and start disconnecting the wires. Now you can follow the directions included with the piece. The hardest part is cutting off the lense. Just be slow and steady with the cutting wheel and you'll be straight. Don't cut to far through otherwise it'll make remounting the lense a nightmare. Luckily, you can "feel" the change in the materials (lense vs. the backing plate) when you cut throught the lense. Work your way around the lense, then pry off with a flat head screw driver, but be gentle. With the supplied splicers, connections are quick and simple. The whole process probably took about an hour. I used clear silicone sealant (hi grade) to re-attach my lense. Let the lense sit up over night and then re-install.
Post-Installation
The light looks great! Cleaned up the back end so much it's unbelievable. It's also very bright. Almost has a strobe effect to it when the blinkers are on, especially with the higher flash rate due to the higher efficiency of the LED's (fronts also flash faster). What more can I say? The piece was really well built, easy instructions made for an easy install, and it looks great when it's operating. Other wise, no one would know you put it in. Just looks like you unbolted everything from the back of the bike. Now if my pivot kit would just get here!

If any one has any questions feel free to contact me!

Penfold

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:29 AM
JL
I eat my R6

Any pics? I have been thinking of doing something like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:05 PM

Ya, I'll post some pics when I get back from vaca in Vancouver. I also have a vid of it in action that I hope to get up on site.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 PM

Ya, I'll post some pics when I get back from vaca in Vancouver. I also have a vid of it in action that I hope to get up on site.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Here's the vid of it. It's in the download section if you haven't checked it out already. Sorry for the quality. Had to use the video function on my digital camera....

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 12:30 AM
I eat my R6

dam i wanna see ,but is it just me or is your pic not working ??

So many turns , And a whole lot of time!!!!
---------->Ahhhh,Heaven<----------
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 01:57 AM
I eat my R6

no pen' its not workin.if u want to c the finished job with pivot kit fitted,my 'old' bike is in IMAGES,MEMBERS RIDES,page 8

THE MILEAGE MURDERER,SCRATCHIN ASSASSIN

---------------------------------
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Ya, the link to the vid doesn't seem to be working. Just reported it to Deej so hopefully it'll be fixed. If anyone wants the vid of it in the meantime, PM me and I'll email it to you. Also have pics of my pivot kit installed as well...
this is it with the plate turned up. You can see the laser cut R6 emblem pretty clearly though..

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
I eat my R6

yo pen.the exhaust

THE MILEAGE MURDERER,SCRATCHIN ASSASSIN

---------------------------------
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 10:07 AM
I eat my R6

Question--do the leds in this thing work well... can you see them??

"Treat it like you love it , ride it like you hate it"

PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ANNOY THOSE OF US THAT DO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in