FuelCel tank guards (06-09 R6) and tank baffling - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Arrow FuelCel tank guards (06-09 R6) and tank baffling

I wanted to post a few pics of the FuelCel tank guards I installed this past weekend. After a quick email to John at Fuelcel, the guards arrived after about 3 days unpainted and I shipped them out to MCProdesign for custom paint to match my tank and fairings. I also got the fuel baffling that installs inside the tank and aids in killing all the fuel slosh that occurs during abrupt braking and throttle and left-right transition that occurs on track. I have noticed a huge difference on track with these foam baffles installed. The chassis is more settled upon braking and entry.

These guards are a must for anyone who rides on the track. I installed the FuelCel tank guards and modified the side tank panels so the side tank bolts underneath are easily accessable at the track. The install went really well with the exception that 2 of the bolts provided in the kit were too short for mounting at the base of the tank. A quick trip to Home Depot and I had the right hardware for the guards. I'm honestly hoping the kevlar guards never get tested!!! I've heard (from those that have lowsided with the guards on) that the kevlar protected the tank from rupture and explosion.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The guards were 180 and the baffling was 38 bucks. Check out Fuelcel's website for more pics and information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius
Re: FuelCel tank guards (06-09 R6) and tank baffling

I cant remember for sure, but I think I remember hearing that the tank foam renders your low fuel warning system inoperable. Basically, the bike never thinks its out of gas....can we say walk of shame...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

You have to install the foam properly from the fuel pump side of the tank with the pump off... I tested the baffles over 2 days at Barber and my fuel light came on every time I was low. When installing the baffles, you must leave room for the fuel pump as the low fuel sensor is built into the bottom of the pump.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

Okay, that sounds legit. I hadnt heard of this company. I do have the Weapon MX foam in my RM 125. It made a slightly noticeable difference there, but then I just add gas after every moto and I am not on the road or anything.

I might have to give this stuff a try in my 08
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Faster than a speeding...

Bike: '08 R6
Send a message via AIM to willyc

what are the tank guards made of??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Has Gold & A Pager

Bike: 2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyc View Post
what are the tank guards made of??
he said in his post they're made of Kevlar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Velocity Stacks][Ignition adv.][520conversion][Full Yoshi System][PCIII]
[ASV's][K&N][Vortex Rearsets]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)

Im looking at ordering these.
Few questions.

I've heard that the foam cuts down the amount of gas you can hold allot (seems like I read 1 gallon less). Did you notice the same thing or just a small amount difference.

How do you install the foam in such a way that it will not interfere with the low fuel gauge? Wouldn't the foam move around or lower as gas gets low?

Last.
Looking at the picture on the site, once installed with the add on bolts, can you still take the tank off with ease? and in one piece or will you have to remove the tank sliders to gain access?

ps: first post....
new 2011 R6 owner as of 1 day ago.

Stomp grips still fit good?

Thanks in advance, hope these are not annoying questions.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

if you're not battling for podiums in close quarters where a little slosh in gas is felt and seen in times, don't get the baffling.

as for the sliders, you'll need to take them off to get the tank off. they attach at the base where the side tank covers attach at the front of the seat. attaching at the front is no big deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

...and welcome to the forum.
i don't remember my first post. that was a LONG time ago.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon

Bike: 2011 R6 & 2011 ZX10Rs (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
if you're not battling for podiums in close quarters where a little slosh in gas is felt and seen in times, don't get the baffling.

as for the sliders, you'll need to take them off to get the tank off. they attach at the base where the side tank covers attach at the front of the seat. attaching at the front is no big deal.

Perfect, just what i wanted to hear, but at the same time always wondered if it was someting that would make a huge difference.

Ill keep things the way it is.

I shouldn't have to go in the tank to often so I can use these for the protection.

Ill look for a set.

thx.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (On FB) WERA Nov# 325/ CCS Nov# 326
  • 2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) |
    ABS (Street) |
    (Superbike Race) |

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    | 2009 WR250F

|
    |

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in