2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In what aspect? Cause when I measured the tread are on a 180 pirelli vs the 190 dunlop 211, the 211 had .5 inch of additional tread area than the 180.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Circumference was about the same on the two tires.
The 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190 Dunlop. This can turn into a pissing match but in the CMRA, Pirelli takes the most wins and total podiums.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKBLU View Post
The 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190 Dunlop. This can turn into a pissing match but in the CMRA, Pirelli takes the most wins and total podiums.

I don't see how it could. We aren't debating anything at all, and nobody is asking which one is better. I'm just tryin to get some more info since u race and I'm just starting too!

I was wondering what aspects of the 180 & 190 are the same! Tire height is the same about. But the tread is a lot wider. The weight difference is something I'm not sure of.

I'm curious like a cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Bluer Than You!

Well if the 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190, i assume that the bead is made a certain way for each tire and make a certain profile. Maybe the Dunlop is technically wider but if it's taller it will still fit on the same rim. Does that make sense?

Pirelli - 180/60 (tall because of higher sidewall)
Dunlop - 190/55 (tall because of profile)

I'm just assuming what's above. I am making a well educated guess

The Pirelli also has a more flexible carcass. The carcass will flatten out the side when leaned over. The Dunlop has a rather hard carcass (especially the front) and a lot of people don't like it because it generally has no feel while the Pirelli actually flexes (commonly mistaken for slipping). So at full lean angle you actually have the same (if not more) contact patch than the Dunlop.

So all in all, idk why Dunlop doesn't make a 180... All I know is they compare the 190 to 180s of other brands

post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Parts Pimp

Re: 180 vs. 190 Rear Tires

Quote:
Well if the 180 Pirelli is made for a 5.5" rim and so is the 190, i assume that the bead is made a certain way for each tire and make a certain profile. Maybe the Dunlop is technically wider but if it's taller it will still fit on the same rim. Does that make sense?

Pirelli - 180/60 (tall because of higher sidewall)
Dunlop - 190/55 (tall because of profile)

I'm just assuming what's above. I am making a well educated guess

The Pirelli also has a more flexible carcass. The carcass will flatten out the side when leaned over. The Dunlop has a rather hard carcass (especially the front) and a lot of people don't like it because it generally has no feel while the Pirelli actually flexes (commonly mistaken for slipping). So at full lean angle you actually have the same (if not more) contact patch than the Dunlop.

So all in all, idk why Dunlop doesn't make a 180... All I know is they compare the 190 to 180s of other brands

Thanks for the info bro. The 190 dunlop is actually about the same height as the 180/55 pirelli. It's a negligable difference. I measure the circumference on them.

The carcass difference is the MAIN reason I stuck with Pirelli.
coming off track day slicks to a D211 woulda been too much a change for me, so I opted for the softer carcass cause it's almost an in between tire in regards to carcass softness. U can sit on a D211 and not crush it!

Thanks so much for the info and feedback! I am that much happier I stuck with Pirelli! DSC's FTW!!!!!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Bike: '03 YZF-R6

Okay, well from what I've gathered thus far, I'll definitely be going with Pirelli. I think I'll be good with the 190 width, especially if that particular tire squats well in corners [I'm assuming it's a good thing to have more contact surface when turning? Please correct me if I'm wrong] so that sounds like the way to go for my particular application. Lots of useful info in this thread though, thanks fellas

Flat Black '03 YZF-R6 | ART Exhaust | Scott's Steering Dampener | Vortex Sprockets | 8000k HIDs | GP Pegs

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." - J. Clarkson
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Bluer Than You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

Thanks for the info bro. The 190 dunlop is actually about the same height as the 180/55 pirelli. It's a negligable difference. I measure the circumference on them.

The carcass difference is the MAIN reason I stuck with Pirelli.
coming off track day slicks to a D211 woulda been too much a change for me, so I opted for the softer carcass cause it's almost an in between tire in regards to carcass softness. U can sit on a D211 and not crush it!

Thanks so much for the info and feedback! I am that much happier I stuck with Pirelli! DSC's FTW!!!!!
Yep. I race on the sc1 (blue) and track days on the sc2 (medium)

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Bluer Than You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just browsing View Post
Okay, well from what I've gathered thus far, I'll definitely be going with Pirelli. I think I'll be good with the 190 width, especially if that particular tire squats well in corners [I'm assuming it's a good thing to have more contact surface when turning? Please correct me if I'm wrong] so that sounds like the way to go for my particular application. Lots of useful info in this thread though, thanks fellas
These are race/track tires we are talking about. WAY different than street. If you get Dunlop race tires get 190. Pirelli get 180. If you are getting any street tires get a 180. No need in the 190

post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Yep. I race on the sc1 (blue) and track days on the sc2 (medium)

Perfect. Have u ever run blue front and green rear? I hear it's a sick setup. I've got sc2's front and rear for track days.

OP, the tires we are discussing are race DOT tires. They are Not great on the streets In wet conditions!

-
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Bike: '03 YZF-R6

Quote:
These are race/track tires we are talking about. WAY different than street. If you get Dunlop race tires get 190. Pirelli get 180. If you are getting any street tires get a 180. No need in the 190

Okay, thanks for the info. I was thinking I would do Pirelli 180's then. Looks like everyone I've talked to has been happy with those, although I don't think I could really go wrong either way. Sorry for the misconception that you were talking about street tires. I know that they're way different and wouldn't think running about them on the street.

Flat Black '03 YZF-R6 | ART Exhaust | Scott's Steering Dampener | Vortex Sprockets | 8000k HIDs | GP Pegs

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." - J. Clarkson
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by just browsing View Post
Okay, thanks for the info. I was thinking I would do Pirelli 180's then. Looks like everyone I've talked to has been happy with those, although I don't think I could really go wrong either way. Sorry for the misconception that you were talking about street tires. I know that they're way different and wouldn't think running about them on the street.
Pirelli makes a street compound version of the Supercorsas!

But like I mentioned, the wet traction is an issue. And they probably won't reach 5000 miles like power pures or Q2's, etc.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in