180 vs. 190 Rear Tires - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Bike: '03 YZF-R6
180 vs. 190 Rear Tires

Hey guys,

I'm picking up an '03 R6 this weekend. It needs some new rubber, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should be looking into. It's currently got a 190 tire in the back, although I've heard that it's not necessarily a great idea to run that width on a 600cc bike.

This is my first street bike, so forgive my ignorance if this has been covered a million times before. I just didn't really know how to search for something like this. Any thoughts / insight / opinions are greatly appreciated!

-Garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid
Re: 180 vs. 190 Rear Tires

I run a 190 rear on my 03. As a newb, u won't really notice a difference. 2 cents!

R6/R1 hybrid
Zeus Armor crash cage, sub-cage, stunt stay, subframe brace, R1 rectifier mod. ATC steel subframe & ATC 12 bar. Runman big rotor HB setup with r6 monoblock calipers. Stunter-X res clamp hose kit. Dented gas tank with HT moto grip. Kleen air mod. GPR V1 steering damper. Brembo RCS 19. SS brake lines. BMC air filter. ATC adjustable clip ons. Brembo 16x18 HB. 05 R1 front forks. 06 FZ-6 rear rotor. NGK plugs. DCP radiator cage. LP gas cap. Secondary radiator fan switch setup. HT Moto Rear Seat. Leo Vince CBR 250 exhaust. Naarden shark fin. 14/54t 520 gearing. Intergrated rear turn signals. Engine Ice. Shaved wind screen.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridick_bowen View Post
I run a 190 rear on my 03. As a newb, u won't really notice a difference. 2 cents!
Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Most 190's are made for a 6 inch wide rim. When you put one on the R6's 5.5 inch rim, the tire bows up and gets taller than it's supposed to be. This pitches the bike forward significantly.

I don't know how you wouldn't notice it. The bike will feel heavier when you goto turn. The right way to do it is to raise the front of the bike the difference that the rear is being raised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Most 190's are made for a 6 inch wide rim. When you put one on the R6's 5.5 inch rim, the tire bows up and gets taller than it's supposed to be. This pitches the bike forward significantly.

I don't know how you wouldn't notice it. The bike will feel heavier when you goto turn. The right way to do it is to raise the front of the bike the difference that the rear is being raised.
Ok, this makes sense. I thought 190's were intended for liter bikes, generally speaking. I just didn't know if one had any significant performance benefit [or downfall, for that matter] over the other on a 600. Thanks for the info, Chief.

Flat Black '03 YZF-R6 | ART Exhaust | Scott's Steering Dampener | Vortex Sprockets | 8000k HIDs | GP Pegs

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." - J. Clarkson
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

This debate will, and has been going on for years.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by just browsing View Post
Ok, this makes sense. I thought 190's were intended for liter bikes, generally speaking. I just didn't know if one had any significant performance benefit [or downfall, for that matter] over the other on a 600. Thanks for the info, Chief.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people love and prefer the 190! In AMA they run a 190. It is actually designed for the 5.5 inch rim so it doesn't bow out like that. Some 190's are made for 5.5 inch rims. Manufacturers will provide that info.

There's nothing wrong with running one. U should set the bike up properly for it if u choose to go that route. It can be a 5 mm height difference. That's something u should notice. 1 mm here or there is less noticeable to the average rider.

So whatever u end up with, just make sure u do the research and make the needed changes.

To provide u an example. Carlos on here runs with me at the track. He always ran a 190 and LOVES it. Switched to a 180 and didn't make the changes needed. Bike started running wide on him despite his efforts. After inning into the grass 3 times he adjusted his ride height and has recently bested his personal fastest lap times. He will switch back to a 190 soon.

I get no less traction than he does with a 180, but I prefer a 180!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Yes, I ride my R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
This debate will, and has been going on for years.
I figured as much. Please forgive my ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post

Some people love and prefer the 190! In AMA they run a 190. It is actually designed for the 5.5 inch rim so it doesn't bow out like that. Some 190's are made for 5.5 inch rims. Manufacturers will provide that info.

There's nothing wrong with running one. U should set the bike up properly for it if u choose to go that route. It can be a 5 mm height difference. That's something u should notice. 1 mm here or there is less noticeable to the average rider.

So whatever u end up with, just make sure u do the research and make the needed changes.

To provide u an example. Carlos on here runs with me at the track. He always ran a 190 and LOVES it. Switched to a 180 and didn't make the changes needed. Bike started running wide on him despite his efforts. After inning into the grass 3 times he adjusted his ride height and has recently bested his personal fastest lap times. He will switch back to a 190 soon.

I get no less traction than he does with a 180, but I prefer a 180!
Thanks again! I'm going to keep the 190 for a while, just to see how I like it. I'm not sure that the ride height has been adjusted accordingly yet, so I'll make sure that I do that before anything else.

As you said though, differences in traction are probably minimal, so at that point I guess it's just personal preference. Regardless, though, I'll make sure that I adjust my ride height based on the size tire that I end up running. Since this is my first street bike, it's going to be more daily / recreational use with some spirited runs every once and a while, so I'm not looking for a good track tire right now. Maybe a few years down the road

Flat Black '03 YZF-R6 | ART Exhaust | Scott's Steering Dampener | Vortex Sprockets | 8000k HIDs | GP Pegs

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." - J. Clarkson
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
AMA runs 190 because DUNLOP's 190 is like a 180 (race tires). Notice they don't make 180 nTecs? That's cause they make 190s and 200s. I've run 180 and 190 and prefer the 180

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

Last edited by SIKBLU; 09-27-2011 at 07:41 AM.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by just browsing View Post
I figured as much. Please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks again! I'm going to keep the 190 for a while, just to see how I like it. I'm not sure that the ride height has been adjusted accordingly yet, so I'll make sure that I do that before anything else.

As you said though, differences in traction are probably minimal, so at that point I guess it's just personal preference. Regardless, though, I'll make sure that I adjust my ride height based on the size tire that I end up running. Since this is my first street bike, it's going to be more daily / recreational use with some spirited runs every once and a while, so I'm not looking for a good track tire right now. Maybe a few years down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKBLU View Post
AMA runs 190 because DUNLOP's 190 is like a 180 (race tires). Notice they don't make 180 nTecs? That's cause they make 190s and 200s. I've run 180 and 190 and prefer the 180

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
In what aspect? Cause when I measured the tread are on a 180 pirelli vs the 190 dunlop 211, the 211 had .5 inch of additional tread area than the 180.

Circumference was about the same on the two tires.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in