Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s... - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:34 PM
I eat my R6

Re: Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s...

Ive used q3, superbike pro and superbike sc3. All of them on the track. My friends have used the super corsa, but the dont last that long. If you are not running a supper faster pace, i think you are spending a lot of money on a tire that you dont need. The only reason i stopped using q3 is that they were not keeping up with my pace. I used the q3 even when i was in the slow pace of the advanced group. My sc3 is lasting quite a bit and the grip is there

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get to see real soon which tires does what.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Just to update this thread with my decision.

I ordered an extra set of wheels, and then some new tires to accompany my extra set. Currently for daily commuting and canyon carving, I have Michelin PP3s mounted which are okay for that purpose, and that purpose only - just my personal experience.

The tires I ended up ordering were SP V2s in 120/70 front and 180/55 rear. Let's see if they feel as amazing as everyone said they would. I'll be trying them out at my upcoming track day. Also this will be my first track day in the advanced group. Many people have told me I'm ready, and I'm pretty sure I am - at least I hope so.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 05-18-2017 at 01:11 AM.

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM
Mr. HER6

Bike: 08 R6, 15 Ninja300

Where is your upcoming trackday?
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

By the way, why does one tire look really shiny and the other looks really dull?

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Reviving this thread as I believe I am ready for some slicks. I'm just about running a decent pace in A group - well, decent enough at my own pace to keep up with the faster folks in A group for about 1/2 - 1 full lap.

The SC V2s are the
. I love 'em. However, I'm working on smoothing out my riding, my lines, my throttle control, my body position, and a whole lot of other stuff to improve. With that said, I know my lap times at various track will start to drop, I'll pick up the pace, and be a little more demanding in the "trust your rubber department."

With that said, any updates here in 2018 for decent affordable warmers?

post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

my old woodcrafts were cooking my pirellis last weekend. Not a lick of trouble from them in ~5+ years? The newer style is even nicer. Really like the cord disconnect feature versus others that have to be powered off.
Nothing worse than cheap warmers.
That being said my buddy still has his tire sox! About $200 new.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Reviving this thread as I believe I am ready for some slicks. I'm just about running a decent pace in A group - well, decent enough at my own pace to keep up with the faster folks in A group for about 1/2 - 1 full lap.

The SC V2s are the
. I love 'em. However, I'm working on smoothing out my riding, my lines, my throttle control, my body position, and a whole lot of other stuff to improve. With that said, I know my lap times at various track will start to drop, I'll pick up the pace, and be a little more demanding in the "trust your rubber department."

With that said, any updates here in 2018 for decent affordable warmers?
I really like my Moto-D dual temp warmers. The make single temp warmers as well that I think are just north of $300.

If you're gonna run warmers, I think it makes sense to run the slick compounds except maybe in cooler temperatures if you can't keep them at operating temps. An SC2 front (slick or dot) and SC1 or SC2 rear can last a while depending on your pace, suspension and track temps. The SC3 rear lasts forever. I went from SP v2s to SC3s to SC2 F and mostly SC1 R. There's really no going back. There is a night and day difference in my opinion, and they'll only wear worse if you start going faster. But that's the idea.
Straight Success likes this.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6bk View Post
I really like my Moto-D dual temp warmers. The make single temp warmers as well that I think are just north of $300.

If you're gonna run warmers, I think it makes sense to run the slick compounds except maybe in cooler temperatures if you can't keep them at operating temps. An SC2 front (slick or dot) and SC1 or SC2 rear can last a while depending on your pace, suspension and track temps. The SC3 rear lasts forever. I went from SP v2s to SC3s to SC2 F and mostly SC1 R. There's really no going back. There is a night and day difference in my opinion, and they'll only wear worse if you start going faster. But that's the idea.
I've been doing reading in different places on the net regarding different Pirelli race compounds. I've aloso been looking at the Dunlops as well. It just boils down to which tires I choose.

Pirelli or Dunlop - hmmmm?

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
I've been doing reading in different places on the net regarding different Pirelli race compounds. I've aloso been looking at the Dunlops as well. It just boils down to which tires I choose.

Pirelli or Dunlop - hmmmm?
The two manufacturers have very different philosphies on how to build a tire, and will need a different chassis set-up if you are semi-serious. The dunlop has a much stiffer side wall and carcas, whereas the Pirelli is a lot more pliable. Something to consider depending on what you have already been running and where your set up is. If you get the chance to speak to someone who is fast and has moved one direction or the other in regards to what tire they run, that would be a good conversation to have to ask them what they changed in regards to chassis set-up.

2008 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in