Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s... - Page 6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 01:13 AM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Insight Needed Regarding Slicks vs. Supercorsas & Q3s...

I ran a set of Q3Plus and they had a pretty good amount of grip good enough for advanced group pace when used with tire warmers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Mannn,

Between picking up a new set of track boots out of necessity, and needing warmers, slicks, new chain and sprocket, it gets ugly quick. That's like a Madison right there. Sheesh!

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

I'll start by saying, I spoke to a couple of people, one who actually races. Although they've never been on a SC3, they said that the SC3 wouldn't be their cup of tea. In contrast, I spent hours reading reviews, performing research, and then ultimately reaching a buying decision. I was looking at the SC2s and SC1s as well. I look at it this way, I'm not starting with their highest rated performance tire, and this gives me room to grow later.

I went with the SC3. My understanding is, it will have more grip than a Supercorsa SP V2, and now I can gather what a slick feels like. I will be using warmers with these when the time comes, and I'll give feedback in comparison to the SP V2. I see it as, we all have to start somewhere.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

An update as this question has been brought up before.

So, despite how cold it is outside, I decided to test fit the SC3s with my chain and sprocket to see if it'll fit while in my somewhat-warm garage. To my surprise, I can run the slicks with my current setup, and the warmers fit. This is using a 180/60.

I have the stock front and rear sprocket (16/45), and the only thing difference is I have a RK (O/W/X) Ring Gold chain (I forget which model exactly) - it was an expensive one. I know it was longer than stock, but then it was cut to fit when I replaced my OEM chain. I don't know how many links are there, so I have to go and count them. I'm guessing 114. I was able to place the rear adjusters at the 2.5 line mark (which equated to an ~19mm spacing between the end of the swing arm and the inside portion of the adjuster). This allowed for the chain to maintain about 1.0" worth of slack as the manual reccomends. Now I just have to see how it handles in comparison to the 180/55 SP V2s.

post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:01 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I went from Q3s to Racetek RR's (Soft front/Medium rear). The Q3s never really gave me alot. The Q3s were consistent and never caused me problems but the Racetek's feel like another level in comparison. I know they are not quite the same class of tire but have enjoyed the Racetek's alot. I like the feedback I get from the Raceteks on the front. They don't give alot until I'm getting near their limit. I had a day on some Pirelli slicks and found them very predictable, but as i was borrowing a mates GSXR600 for the day I wasn't to keen on finding their limits. The feel and wear seemed good and it would appear I could get them warm enough to perform. So next stop is a set of Dunlop slicks next week. I'm looking forward to experiencing the different feel with a tire that uses such a lower pressure on the rear.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Well, I really liked the Dunlops.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Touchdown!

Supercorsa SP V2 vs Superbike SC3

Yesterday I was able to ride on my SC3 slicks for the first time.

My first few sessions were on my 180/55 SP V2s. They didn't feel as grippy as they did when they were new as they were heat cycled to hell. The confidence was still there, just not like they were when they were fresh.

I slapped my 180/60 SC3s slicks on during lunch. Right away after my first session I realized how much taller and more grip at lean angle is available. You can get a lot more lean angle with these. I checked my tires and still had like 10mm of unused edge left after my first session. Wow. After the next session, I was down to like 4-5mm of unused tire. By the end of the day, I had like 3mm of unused tire. Now I know I can carry a lot more speed and lean angle with these. I didn't get my suspesnion readjusted, but I think I will to accomdate for the taller tire. The confidence was there even over the bumps and uneven parts of the track.

In addition, I wasn't pushing my bike as hard as I was a Laguna Seca, but I could tell you can throw a hand full of throttle at these things while leaned over, and they'll say "no problem, I'll hold you upright!"

There was no slipping, loads of stability, and it looks like the wear on them is non-existent after 3 sessions.

I'll have to push them in the future to see if the are equal to or surpass the Supercorsa SP V2s, but I'm thinking they are just a notch higher in term of grip and feel.

Last edited by Straight Success; 05-24-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in