Tires for aggressive street riding - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:13 AM
I said biiiiiiiitch.....

Bike: 2006 R6R
Re: Tires for aggressive street riding

I would recommend seriously considering some sport touring tyres. They aren't as sexy as some of the hypersport tyres, but far more practical. Should have more than enough traction for the street. I ran PR4s and now PR5s on my ZX10R and loved them. Loads of grip, great when they're cold or wet, and they lasted me about 12,000 kms. If you were going to the track you might want something more, but for 100% street, they're the most logical choice.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
El Duder likes this.

80%+ of my responses start with "If you look in the service manual..."

If you have an electrical problem, buy a multimeter and learn how to use it. It's surprisingly easy. Or, you could just cut the blue wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:59 AM
My R6 eats me.

Dunlop Roadsmart grips well and wears longer than the Q3/Q3+. I run the Q3+ though. You're not going to get 10k miles out of anything remotely sporty. There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.
High Side likes this.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.

This needs to be read, re-read, and read again. Then read it one more time...until it sinks in.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Bike: 2014 Yamaha R6
Garage

I had the Pilot Power 3s on my 2012 R6. Good grip, rolls over nicely in the turns and I think I got around 8 or 9k out of them. My buddy ran the Q3's on his ZX6R and got around 5k on his set. The Q3's I found were stickier but because of that you eat through the tire faster. Im looking at either buying another set of PP3s or deciding if I want to go with the S20 or s21. Another friend has the S20 and he likes them. Doesn't have much mileage on them yet though
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

you guys are not getting 10k miles from sport tires. when I do tire changes at the dealership I work at most people on hard ass cruiser tires only get that.

sportbikes etc are only getting 3k at the most. how do i know this? they're in the system when they had them put on the last time... and guess what, most of them think they got 8k+ miles on them. lol memories get super fuzzy when it comes to this stuff.

I've got some pretty decent life out of my current set of bridgestone S21. decent grip for aggressive riding.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-04-2018 at 07:14 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Bike: 2014 Yamaha R6
Garage

Well for starters, everyone rides their bike differently. Also they ride in different conditions and road routes. I know for a fact I got over 8,000 kms on my PP3s because I don't my oil change every 5000km. Did an oil change and replaced my tires at the same time. Had to do a second oil change before replacing my tires. I love when one person on here tries to tell everyone they are all wrong and he is right
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachroy View Post
Well for starters, everyone rides their bike differently. Also they ride in different conditions and road routes. I know for a fact I got over 8,000 kms on my PP3s because I don't my oil change every 5000km. Did an oil change and replaced my tires at the same time. Had to do a second oil change before replacing my tires. I love when one person on here tries to tell everyone they are all wrong and he is right
it's called experience and skepticism. because you're claiming miles not seen by 99.99% of the people I know and the bikes I've worked on. you are literally the guy that gets 1million miles out of a car and claims all he did was oil changes.

if I get 2700 miles out of a set of tires it's a record and cords are showing.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-04-2018 at 08:08 PM.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

It also depends how long these people ride on flat spotted tires. I am sure most people wait till the tread is almost worn before they replace their tires and say they got really good mileage out of them. When in reality they should have been replaced miles ago when the tire profile considerably changed. Unless your fortunate to live only around super twisty roads (or you only ride the mountain roads), flat spotting a street tire is almost inevitable and comes long before the tread is worn.

Or maybe I am the minority here and replace a tire as soon as it has noticeably developed a flat spot, thus only getting 3-5k miles on a rear tire. I hate the way a rear tire feels when it gets like this though so I have no problem replacing it.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Umm, what tread ? This is roughly 20,000 miles...

That's November... road salt being a dead giveaway.

Riding them until they're bald makes a difference. Road temperatures may also account for a large difference. A significant portion of my miles are on cold and/or wet pavement meaning, far less wear. Hot, dry, debris-less pavement and those baldies are actually quite nice for leaning. (have'n fun with'em now LoL...)
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 AM
My R6 eats me.

Sc2 imo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in