Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Tires for aggressive street riding

16K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Intuit 
#1 · (Edited)
I read through some of the older forum threads and a lot of the suggested tires are discontinued.

Does anybody have any tire suggestions for aggressive street riding (no track)? Especially now since several new tires came out this month. Currently running the stock Dunlop Sportmax D214s and they are pretty terrible—no feel and they slide on mildly aggressive turns. The roads here are pretty bad (potholes, gravel, leaves, rain). Hoping to get ~5000-10,000 miles out of the tires. Mostly looking for a good balance between tire life, stickiness, and usability during suboptimal conditions. Cost does not matter but within reason.

Pretty torn between the Q3+, Pilot Power 3s, S21, Angel GT, Pilot Road 5, and the Power RS. Would have pulled the trigger on the Pilot Road 5 but I don't know how I feel about putting touring tires on my bike. Also they're so new I can't find a lot of reviews for them.

#2 ·
No such thing as aggressive on the street, unless you're racing in the IOM.

#7 · (Edited)
Was hoping to get that much since I ride about 600-1000 miles a month. Not really sure how long tires last since I’ve never bought any. Usually sell my bikes right around when I need new tires. Only started riding daily recently. Not sure where all this ‘flaming’ is coming from. I never said I ride aggressively or that I’m even good, rather I’m hoping to ride a bit more aggressive and still be safe.

I’m sure the argument could be made that my skill is not sufficient to make use of the tire blah blah. I’m hoping for an actual response.

Never said I experienced any wear.

#8 ·
Not Power RS. That is more geared to the track and you will get terrible miles on that tire.

Try the PP3's or Q3's, both come highly recommended. You won't get near the miles you hope for, but it's not unreasonable to get 5k before the rear really squares off. It's a sportbike (race bike with lights) after all. Fuel mileage and tire conservation is not their strong suit.

Next tire change try a different brand and see how it compares.

#10 · (Edited)
Nobody is flaming you, quit acting like a weiner. Pick a tire that you think looks neat, any of them will provide far more grip than you can use on the street.

But, more than likely, your quest will continue to find a super sticky tire because you just plan on being the fastest dude in the canyon, then you'll be back bitching about how it "only" lasted 3,000 miles, then we'll have a good laugh.

Then maybe, just maybe, if you stick around long enough, you'll do your first track day and realize that a mid pack Novice group rider goes 10x faster than you ever did on the street and you'll realize how insignificant it is trying to split hairs over grip that you thought you needed to ride on the street.

#11 ·
I live in Hawaii. Even if I wanted to do a track day we don’t have a track.

I’m the type of person who does a lot of research before I buy anything and have to know it’s the best possible choice before I can proceed. It doesn’t matter to me whether or not I can use it. It’s just so I know I’m making the best decision. Personally I don’t mind paying for the tires, it’s just a pain in the ass to keep wasting time to go get new tires.

Your “I go to the track so I’m better than everyone who doesn’t” attitude doesn’t really help anyone other than your (probably fragile) ego. I’m sure you’re a good rider even if everything about you screams squid. Even if you don’t understand my way of thinking I’d appreciate it if you kept your replies constructive.

#13 ·
It is constructive, just pick any big name brand tire. You'll be happy with any of them. At the end of the day, it's just a tire. Shit ain't permanent. Any of them, hell even Shinko's, will suffice for street riding.

Reactions: robbier6
#16 · (Edited)
There are a couple other questions you should ask yourself, like will I be riding in rain. The Q3+ is a fantastic tire for all sorts of riding. I was on track during one of the wettest days earlier this year (PNW - Seattle). They worked fine in the wet, and even better in the dry. Dunlop had a $100ish rebate just recently on them (likely due to the new Q4).

BTW - Since I brought up the Q4 I would rule that out as a street tire only option (those things are simply amazing though). We left both the Q3+ and the Q4 out in the sun for about an hour. The Q4 was so soft, due to being a single compound, that I could literally push the tread in with a finger (off rim).

I've been a fan of Dunlop and encourage you to look at Q3+ for multipurpose use. Good luck.

Edit: I read your initial post again and it appears you already considered the rain factor. It also looks like you're asking for 5k-10k mileage. Not sure what you can get out of Q3+ but it has been said that Dunlop's quest was longer street life over the previous Q3.

#17 ·
Hey FB.

Here are some past comments on my experiences...
Click: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/63-tire-tech-talk/433713-best-affordable-tires.html#post5683489
Click: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/63-tire-tech-talk/432401-tires.html#post5673377
Click: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/63-tire-tech-talk/433321-long-lasting-tires.html#post5678369

Harder track tires won't work for the street. You'll never get enough heat in them to be sticky. So the suggestion that any tire will do, is just not accurate. We also know that leaning over doesn't require high speeds. For example, I'm too heavy and the streets are too screwed up to do it now (bicycle tire just slips) but used to lean my ten speed bicycle way over back in my 100lb middle-school days. We also know that different tires use harder and softer compounds on the sides and middle; affecting dry traction, stability. Tread pattern features also affect traction under precip and pseudo-sandy road conditions. Bottom line, we know that tire choice for street, actually does matter. We shouldn't be manipulated into denouncing the obvious. Like any forum, some of us here have an online personality that is less than mature, to say the least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)
Siping and softer sides on the multi-compound Michelin Pilot Road 4s helps a with cooler temp street/tire gripping. Soft slicks might provide better traction but we know that they'd be deadly with precipitation on the road. Wet sewer grates, train tracks, road plates and raised painted lines are bad regardless. But on a slick I'd imagine it's going to be even worse; if possible.

TurboBlew though combatively expressed, brings up something to consider adjusting. Tire pressure can affect contact surface patch, tire temp and traction. For example, I reduce tire pressures for snow and increase for better wear/mileage under warm conditions where traction is less of a factor for the car. (and prevent wheel damage over craters since going low-profile) Re motorcycle, you can also lean/sway back and forth in the lane for a bit to scrub up a portion of the sides. The swaying can spook surrounding traffic so you'll have to be selective about when to do that. But flattening the profile of a motorcycle tire (with lower pressure) may also affect handling, not just heat/stickiness. Avoid going significantly lower than recommended pressure, as this can damage the tire in ways we can't see from the outside.

#19 ·
Harder track tires won't work for the street. You'll never get enough heat in them to be sticky.
You also won't be needing all the traction available that they have to offer. Yes I'll agree that a lukewarm slick isn't providing all the traction it can...but you're also not needing/using it to it's maximum capacity...so what makes you think you need the maximum grip it can provide?

So people like to ask which came first, the chicken or the egg...but what grips more, a Q3 or a race DOT tire ridden at what some talk of an "aggressive street pace"?? :D

#21 ·
I would recommend seriously considering some sport touring tyres. They aren't as sexy as some of the hypersport tyres, but far more practical. Should have more than enough traction for the street. I ran PR4s and now PR5s on my ZX10R and loved them. Loads of grip, great when they're cold or wet, and they lasted me about 12,000 kms. If you were going to the track you might want something more, but for 100% street, they're the most logical choice.

Reactions: El Duder
#22 ·
Dunlop Roadsmart grips well and wears longer than the Q3/Q3+. I run the Q3+ though. You're not going to get 10k miles out of anything remotely sporty. There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.

#23 ·
There is no free lunch here. If you want good traction that gives you a little margin for error you will have to trade off wear life. Keep your tire pressures set properly and minimize any squid behavior and you'll get the most life out of any tire.

This needs to be read, re-read, and read again. Then read it one more time...until it sinks in. :werd

#24 ·
I had the Pilot Power 3s on my 2012 R6. Good grip, rolls over nicely in the turns and I think I got around 8 or 9k out of them. My buddy ran the Q3's on his ZX6R and got around 5k on his set. The Q3's I found were stickier but because of that you eat through the tire faster. Im looking at either buying another set of PP3s or deciding if I want to go with the S20 or s21. Another friend has the S20 and he likes them. Doesn't have much mileage on them yet though

#25 · (Edited)
you guys are not getting 10k miles from sport tires. when I do tire changes at the dealership I work at most people on hard ass cruiser tires only get that.

sportbikes etc are only getting 3k at the most. how do i know this? they're in the system when they had them put on the last time... and guess what, most of them think they got 8k+ miles on them. lol memories get super fuzzy when it comes to this stuff.

I've got some pretty decent life out of my current set of bridgestone S21. decent grip for aggressive riding.

#26 ·
Well for starters, everyone rides their bike differently. Also they ride in different conditions and road routes. I know for a fact I got over 8,000 kms on my PP3s because I don't my oil change every 5000km. Did an oil change and replaced my tires at the same time. Had to do a second oil change before replacing my tires. I love when one person on here tries to tell everyone they are all wrong and he is right

#27 · (Edited)
it's called experience and skepticism. because you're claiming miles not seen by 99.99% of the people I know and the bikes I've worked on. you are literally the guy that gets 1million miles out of a car and claims all he did was oil changes.

if I get 2700 miles out of a set of tires it's a record and cords are showing.

#28 ·
It also depends how long these people ride on flat spotted tires. I am sure most people wait till the tread is almost worn before they replace their tires and say they got really good mileage out of them. When in reality they should have been replaced miles ago when the tire profile considerably changed. Unless your fortunate to live only around super twisty roads (or you only ride the mountain roads), flat spotting a street tire is almost inevitable and comes long before the tread is worn.

Or maybe I am the minority here and replace a tire as soon as it has noticeably developed a flat spot, thus only getting 3-5k miles on a rear tire. I hate the way a rear tire feels when it gets like this though so I have no problem replacing it.

#29 ·
Umm, what tread ? This is roughly 20,000 miles...
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMgaQYI76jD_jZnJY_tA
That's November... road salt being a dead giveaway. >:)

Riding them until they're bald makes a difference. Road temperatures may also account for a large difference. A significant portion of my miles are on cold and/or wet pavement meaning, far less wear. Hot, dry, debris-less pavement and those baldies are actually quite nice for leaning. (have'n fun with'em now LoL...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.