Tires for aggressive street riding - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Tires for aggressive street riding

I read through some of the older forum threads and a lot of the suggested tires are discontinued.

Does anybody have any tire suggestions for aggressive street riding (no track)? Especially now since several new tires came out this month. Currently running the stock Dunlop Sportmax D214s and they are pretty terrible—no feel and they slide on mildly aggressive turns. The roads here are pretty bad (potholes, gravel, leaves, rain). Hoping to get ~5000-10,000 miles out of the tires. Mostly looking for a good balance between tire life, stickiness, and usability during suboptimal conditions. Cost does not matter but within reason.

Pretty torn between the Q3+, Pilot Power 3s, S21, Angel GT, Pilot Road 5, and the Power RS. Would have pulled the trigger on the Pilot Road 5 but I don't know how I feel about putting touring tires on my bike. Also they're so new I can't find a lot of reviews for them.

Last edited by funnyboy1000; 05-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus
Re: Tires for aggressive street riding

No such thing as aggressive on the street, unless you're racing in the IOM.
TurboBlew and IronCactus like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Letís say Ďspiritedí then. Even if we change the adjective Iím sure you understood what I meant and the question still remains.
Straight Success likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Wink Re: Tires for aggressive street riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
No such thing as aggressive on the street, unless you're racing in the IOM.
he wants aggressive tars... but probably wont check the air pressure or tell us what tires he currently has!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High Side likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I keep up with all my maintenance including tire pressure using a bicycle pump. Though I admit that I slack on lubing the clutch cable. Not sure what you mean but the tires I currently have are in my original post.

Last edited by funnyboy1000; 05-25-2018 at 07:09 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

I couldnt stop rolling my eyes at the 5,000-10,000 mile comment...lol. Guess I missed it.

Better yet post pics of the "wear" you currently experience with your dunlops.
High Side and Flyers28 like this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Was hoping to get that much since I ride about 600-1000 miles a month. Not really sure how long tires last since Iíve never bought any. Usually sell my bikes right around when I need new tires. Only started riding daily recently. Not sure where all this Ďflamingí is coming from. I never said I ride aggressively or that Iím even good, rather Iím hoping to ride a bit more aggressive and still be safe.

Iím sure the argument could be made that my skill is not sufficient to make use of the tire blah blah. Iím hoping for an actual response.

Never said I experienced any wear.

Last edited by funnyboy1000; 05-25-2018 at 08:43 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:15 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Not Power RS. That is more geared to the track and you will get terrible miles on that tire.

Try the PP3's or Q3's, both come highly recommended. You won't get near the miles you hope for, but it's not unreasonable to get 5k before the rear really squares off. It's a sportbike (race bike with lights) after all. Fuel mileage and tire conservation is not their strong suit.

Next tire change try a different brand and see how it compares.
UrbaN845 likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Iím really glad you steered me away from the pilot rs, that was actually my top choice at the moment.

What would you say is the difference between the pp3, q3+, and say the s21? Everyone says good things about all of them but nobody seems to compare tires.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Reads the rulez

Bike: Turbo'd Ruckus

Nobody is flaming you, quit acting like a weiner. Pick a tire that you think looks neat, any of them will provide far more grip than you can use on the street.

But, more than likely, your quest will continue to find a super sticky tire because you just plan on being the fastest dude in the canyon, then you'll be back bitching about how it "only" lasted 3,000 miles, then we'll have a good laugh.

Then maybe, just maybe, if you stick around long enough, you'll do your first track day and realize that a mid pack Novice group rider goes 10x faster than you ever did on the street and you'll realize how insignificant it is trying to split hairs over grip that you thought you needed to ride on the street.
Flyers28, SweptCobra and UrbaN845 like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgess05 View Post
I was going to continue to trash you rookie clowns but it's not even worth it. You're going to spend the rest of your days wasting away and possibility of aquiring talent because you're too ignorant and stubborn to realize you suck... but could be good. You all just keep proving my points.
NESBA "A"
WERA Expert

Last edited by High Side; 05-26-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in