2Likes
  • 1 Post By yamahacrazy
  • 1 Post By yamahacrazy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.

Bike: 2007 R6
Michelin RS vs Dunlop Q3 (+)

Just felt like writing this.... Iíve used the Dunlop Q3 for years and loved it. My track times were great and canyon rides were fun and confident. Until I tried the power Rs. The soft carcass of the Michelin gives your premium corner entry feel and confidence far superior to the Hard carcass Q3+. The Q3 will tend to get a greasy feeling when it reaches max temperatures which some trick riders like to use to their advantage. I donít feel this with the power rs. The q3 tends to wander into a corner where as the RS will conform to the entry angle and grip your line immediately. The final thing I will address is the skill required to use each time, the Dunlop has a slightly higher learning curve where as he power rs is very forgiving. Itís longevity seem similar with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- It really does, rev your heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
I quit using dunlops years ago because they just felt greasy to me all the time. tried a set of bt002rs from bridgestone and been hooked on bridgestone ever since.
I didnt like the bt003rs and tried pirelli diablo corsa III and the front developed a bad belt or something. It started to fight me in the corners trying to stand the bike up as i leaned in. Tried pilot power 2ct and for the cost they wore out too fast. Initial rurn in was mushy aka slow. Went back to bridgestone with the new s20 evo for a few years. Ran a few sets of their rs10 but dont need that for the street so ive been using the s21 for 2 years.

Pirelli race tires are my fav but cost too damn much. You can brake or accelerate as hard as you want mid corner on those suns a bitches and they dont complain. By far the best tires ive ever rode on. Thats not saying much but im a fan. They give a guy like me who will make mistakes by almost over riding my abilities plenty of a safety margin if you know what i mean. I could never out ride these.
Trixim likes this.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 08-12-2018 at 10:33 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
R6 is Love. R6 is Life.

Bike: 2007 R6
Re: Michelin RS vs Dunlop Q3 (+)

Been wanting to broaden my tire selection and familiarity but itís hard to leave what you know....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- It really does, rev your heart.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 AM
My R6 eats me.

Q4 kicks ass

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Iíve been though all the Dunlop qualifiers. Oem, Q2, Q3 and about to go Q3+. That Q line has always been good to me at every updated tire change for street/canyons. Go Dunlop!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 PM
My R6 eats me.

Now you have muddied the water for me. Have Michelin Pilot Power 2ct, and was thinking about the q3+, now I have to research the RS. Well at least I have three rear rims for my R6.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 09:13 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post
Q4 kicks ass

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
don't waste them on the street. they are a track tire. any modern hypersport tire will give you the grip you need. some just have unnerving feel to them.
that's why I think some guys never get to the top of their game in racing because of the tire rules. if everyone could bring their own tires, I think you'd see guys that are never on the podium suddenly kicking ass.
bbsteinnewyork likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2010 R6
Garage

I just started using the new Pirelli Rosso Corse IIs on my R6 and love them. I've always ran Dunlops, and the biggest hurdle I had to get over was tire pressures. I always ran low tire pressures with the Dunlops because of their stiff carcus. With Pirelli you can't get away with that because they will feel really loose. Ran the tire pressure up, and they work perfectly.

After 20+ years of running only Dunlop, I now have Pirellis on all my bikes.

On the subject of the Q4, they are the equivalent of running a Supercorsa on the street. You're going to have to push it hard to get enough heat in the tire to make it work properly.

2010 R6
2011 Ninja 250
2012 Ducati 1199s Tricolore
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
that's why I think some guys never get to the top of their game in racing because of the tire rules. if everyone could bring their own tires, I think you'd see guys that are never on the podium suddenly kicking ass.
there is a series you can bring whatever tires and mods you want... its called national & regional club racing. A spec tire doesnt make anyone slower... it levels the field the same way a spec fuel does as well as limiting "B" bikes. You will always have teams or individuals outspending the competition for an edge. Thats a given.
Also no race has a predetermined finishing order. Everyone has about the same chances of a podium or victory. The tires arent holding anyone off a podium whether they are Dunlop or Pirelli or Michelin.
That being said... there are minor setup issues between tires that must be addressed. That depends on your pace. If you were given a bike to ride and were instructed to ride a pace you feel comfortable at... why would you care who made them? So long as they were properly inflated and the chassis setup... you probably couldnt convey which tires feels like what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in