How many miles on what tire? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

How many miles on what tire?

Hey all, I'm a new rider and recently learned that tires for the R6 don't last very long. I just purchased a '15 R6 with about 3400 miles on it and the tires seem short on life.

While looking at reviews and posts, I've gotten confused as to what might actually work best for me. Being a new rider, I don't plan on tracking the bike and my skill level won't allow me to canyon carve yet.

I was thinking about getting the Shinko 005 or 009 tires, but I've heard they don't last very long, so I'd be paying to replace them more often Revzilla suggested that I get the Michelin Road 5, but is that too much tire for just street riding? Will they last long enough to offset the mount/balance costs of a shorter life tire? What about the Dunlop Q3+? Will they last? Revzilla said that the Michelin will get longer life than the Shinko, so paying the higher price will be offset by replacing them less often, so paying less in mount/balance charges.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck, not a cheap tire, but I also don't want to buy more tire than I'll use.

What tire are you running for street use only and commuting purposes, and what mileage have you gotten before you needed to replace them? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:19 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange
Re: How many miles on what tire?

You are on both ends of the price spectrum, shinkos are black round rubber that hold air and allow you to ride the motorcycle, they will last a decent time depending on which model shinko you look at. The pilot road 5 is Michelin's latest sport touring tire designed for the best grip wet and dry and being a sport touring tire last longer than a super sport tire. Depending on where you live and how well you maintain tire pressure will be a big determining factor on tire life. Living in the DC metro area, tires dont last quite a long because it takes a half hour hour to get to any where decent to ride so the centers wear out faster than the sides do. Check the prices on the Pilot road 2, they are an older version of the pilot road series, not the latest and greatest but people loved them when they first came out so they still produce them in the 120/70 and 180/55 sizes for sportbikes.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Okay so you're strictly street. Will you ride on wet? Will you ride cold? Definitely not cheap, but love the Pilot Road 4. Big difference over the stock Dunlops that came with it. Got over 20k out of the last set, but unlike most I rode them until threads were showing... front was the first to show.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I will be strictly street and will only ride wet if I get caught in the rain. I plan on using the bike for pleasure use, so riding , so mostly nice weather riding. Living in Florida, there won't be many cold days, so I should be a warm weather rider.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check the reviews at the bottom of the page, living in florida these will serve you well.

March 2014 Bike of the month

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in