Storing slicks in freezing temperatures? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:18 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Storing slicks in freezing temperatures?

They are Pirelli Superbike SC3s.

As far as the raditor/cooling system goes, I flushed it before winter storage and filled the system with antifreeze and distilled water to keep the rubber components lubricated to avoid drying out and cracking. When Spring shows her face, I'll drain the system and go back to running distiled water only.

BTW, I think I need a new raditor cap. #reminder
Radical Pharaoh likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:04 PM
I eat my R6

Next time wear your slicks to the end on the last day before track session ends.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 PM
My 600RR headbangs

Bike: BMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
They are Pirelli Superbike SC3s.

As far as the raditor/cooling system goes, I flushed it before winter storage and filled the system with antifreeze and distilled water to keep the rubber components lubricated to avoid drying out and cracking. When Spring shows her face, I'll drain the system and go back to running distiled water only.

BTW, I think I need a new raditor cap. #reminder
The Graves 2.0 Bar radiator cap is my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Next time wear your slicks to the end on the last day before track session ends.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." Valentino Rossi

"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELL YEAH WE DID!!!

Amat Victoria Curam

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:22 AM
I eat my R6

Just use engine ice. Just about all race organizations allow it. As for slicks, cold weather will definitely damage them. Race tire services (Dunlop USA) requires you within two days of receiving tires, to check for cracks if they ship them during the winter. Sometimes they won't even ship them if it is too cold. I was at Jennings one time waiting to get a tire changed and this guy in front of me bought a brand new slick from Jennings the night before. Put the tire in his trailer and the next morning went to have it mounted. When they tried to mount it, the tire cracked. They said it was because he left he tire in his unheated trailer all night.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duder View Post
Just use engine ice. Just about all race organizations allow it. As for slicks, cold weather will definitely damage them. Race tire services (Dunlop USA) requires you within two days of receiving tires, to check for cracks if they ship them during the winter. Sometimes they won't even ship them if it is too cold. I was at Jennings one time waiting to get a tire changed and this guy in front of me bought a brand new slick from Jennings the night before. Put the tire in his trailer and the next morning went to have it mounted. When they tried to mount it, the tire cracked. They said it was because he left he tire in his unheated trailer all night.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pharaoh View Post
The Graves 2.0 Bar radiator cap is my recommendation.

Wear your slicks down to the end of it's life so you when warm season comes you can order and install a fresh set. It's like having supplements. If you decide to use them again after opening them, they will get old and hard. If you consume them all and use a new batch next year you will have a fresh set.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:09 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duder View Post
I wonder if other companies are immune to cold crack failures as they might have patents designed to prevent this from happening. Of course the other manufacturers who don't have it wouldn't steer you to another company if they know this exist w/ say Michelins.

It's nice to do the right thing to an extent.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:17 AM
My 600RR headbangs

Bike: BMX

Quote:
Wear your slicks down to the end of it's life so you when warm season comes you can order and install a fresh set. It's like having supplements. If you decide to use them again after opening them, they will get old and hard. If you consume them all and use a new batch next year you will have a fresh set.
I agree, but sometimes it's not exactly under your control. You're not going to do a burnout with a slick when you're out of riding weather and still have some rubber left.

Quote:
I wonder if other companies are immune to cold crack failures as they might have patents designed to prevent this from happening. Of course the other manufacturers who don't have it wouldn't steer you to another company if they know this exist w/ say Michelins.

It's nice to do the right thing to an extent.
I have heard it's a Dunlop thing, but don't quote me on it.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside." Valentino Rossi

"When I arrive at di front.... big fight" Rossi

HELL YEAH WE DID!!!

Amat Victoria Curam
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:32 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Pharaoh View Post
I agree, but sometimes it's not exactly under your control. You're not going to do a burnout with a slick when you're out of riding weather and still have some rubber left.

I have heard it's a Dunlop thing, but don't quote me on it.
I mean, it's cool to know what to possibly expect than to find out the hard way by storing them in the cold then going out for a ride w/o checking and it failing. Prob the result of some people's demise. All death statistics aren't really evaluated like the NSTB w/ plane commercial airline crashes. People just clean up the accident and move on.

I mean, I was riding in shorts at 140+ w/ a herniated front valve stem.. I was wondering why I was going wide even under some braking so I added throttle and I could turn tighter. Changed everything to 90 degree CNC and never had a problem since.

I have cleared so many potentially life changing events but haven't forget what has happened and why. It's always good to know more information from others who have experienced it w/o us experiencing it first hand because sometimes the good information will be known After the negativity has unfolded.

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-23-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:41 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

In short, just try to keep them someplace warm. It says so on the label.
El Duder likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in