Storing slicks in freezing temperatures? - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:03 AM
I eat my R6

Re: Storing slicks in freezing temperatures?

I already know the Michelin Road 5s can tilt. I saw a vid where someone tilted like 45 degrees on Dunlop Krs that weren't on warmers and went down. I mean, w/ enough money you should be using Supersofts and nothing else if not just use Road 5s and ride for fun in the dry hot summer only.

I would be scared to use say Endurance unless they were on warmers but w/o proper understanding they could be Worse than Road 5s and other eq. street DOT tires. You get it wrong Once you lose bike and some of your body function forever. It doesn't matter if you know or don't know the limit. Physics doesn't care, just acts.

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-26-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
I already know the Michelin Road 5s can tilt. I saw a vid where someone tilted like 45 degrees on Dunlop Krs that weren't on warmers and went down. I mean, w/ enough money you should be using Supersofts and nothing else if not just use Road 5s and ride for fun in the dry hot summer only.

I would be scared to use say Endurance unless they were on warmers but w/o proper understanding they could be Worse than Road 5s and other eq. street DOT tires. You get it wrong Once you lose bike and some of your body function forever. It doesn't matter if you know or don't know the limit. Physics doesn't care, just acts.
Why are your bringing up DOTs in a thread about slicks? They're two completely different tires for different purposes. #rhetorical
Flyers28 likes this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
1up,5down

Bike: 2003 r6

Say they go all winter and show zero cracks... Are they good to go or is the rubber compromised by being exposed to the freezing temps?

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:42 AM
I eat my R6

You won’t know until you try to mount them.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Touchdown!

They should be good to go with a thorough inspection showing no defects or cracks. If cracking does occur, it would most likely be near the edge of the tire or surface cracking. By the edge I mean the part that sits in inside of the bead of the wheel. It's a good chance the internal structure of the tire wouldn't crack before the outside judging by the lattice structure of it. You'll most likely experience surface defects before anything else.

However, if the slick is really cold (they become really hard), and if the slick is deformed/bent/distorted/twisted, that could lead to a serious crack or internal defect that the eye may not be able to see. Be careful as it states it on the label. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Go to the track when it's warm, and commence to a good tire inspection. I was on the phone with Pirelli yesterday.
WristTwister likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 01-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:18 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Why are your bringing up DOTs in a thread about slicks? They're two completely different tires for different purposes. #rhetorical
I saw a vid of someone going down on an S1000RR with Dunlop KRs that weren't on warmers. The lean angle wasn't even more than 45 degrees in the dry! I assume endurance tires not on the warmers are harder than say DOT Road 5 street tires unless there was too much front braking going on but it didn't seem like it..
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Touchdown!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Does this mean slicks are worse when they are cold over DOT?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Touchdown!

The OP question(s) have been answered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in