Tires and Brakes? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Someone ride with me

Bike: 07 Yamaha R6
Tires and Brakes?

Have a 2007 R6. The front brake seems a bit spongey and I really have to squeeze to get a full sense of braking. Back brake causes wheel to lock up relatively quick and I seem to be sliding quite easily by applying pressure to rear brake. Any suggestions as to what can be causing these problems? Braking fluid is good I haven't gotten around to checking brake pads. Bike was serviced before bought so all this should have been done. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Tires and Brakes?

the front may need to be bleed a little more. either that or the pads someone put on there are junk. possibly organic compound which is not what you want on a sportbike. it is also common for people not to prep the rotor for the new pad compound which will give a bad experience to the rider. you really need to get the old pad material off when changing pad brands and compound. using red scotchbrite pads (can get at the auto paint supply store) or 120-150 grit sandpaper will work too. there is a tool you can use in a drill called a rotor hone. they work really well.

as for pads, if you don't know what's on there I'd go ahead and get new pads. I love and recommend Ferodo ST pads. they're kind of tough to find but are amazing pads. but a set of EBC sintered pads or any brand in a HH compound. just don't jump on ebay and find some china garbage. use name brand stuff like Ferodo, Brembo, SBS, Vesrah, EBC, galfer, DP or Carbone Lorraine. next would be to replace all the rubber lines for braided lines. this alone is more than enough for a street rider or a semi fast rider on the track. DO NOT BUY RACE PADS. these only work when they get really hot on a track. you will not be able to stop very well until they get hot.

as for the rear, since it's a 13 years old now, it may need a good cleaning, flushing, lubing. dirt tends to build up in the rear caliper and make them stick. if you find it's still too much brake with all of that work performed try a softer compound like an organic pad that will have less bite to them.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 04-20-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in