New tire - different types - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage
New tire - different types

This will be the first tire change that I'm thinking about swapping out from OE.

My front tire is pretty worn (into the wear bar), but the back tire is new and has plenty of life. Both are OE spec currently. I've heard some really good things about the Pilot 5 and I wanted to try it out, is it safe to have two separate type tires? (I'd swap the rear out when it gets more worn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:58 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: New tire - different types

hello,try pirelli supercorsa sp f/r
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:20 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

yeah its safe to do it but it's not optimal for ride and handling quality. motorcycle tires are designed to work in tandem with each other. so if you're just a commuter I don't see much of an issue. but if you like to ride the bike on curvy roads etc, don't do it. buy a set of tires. look online at dunlop or bridgestone. they may both still have their rebate program on new sets. for the last few years both of them have been offering $50, 60 and 70 rebates.
michelin thinks their tires are gold. but they're not. don't pay the prices they want for their tires.
bridgestone is often the least expensive with some of the best handling and grip.
dunlop often is comparable in price with bridgestone.
pirelli's have great high end race tires but shitty middle of the road tires. (in my opinion) just from personal bad experiences.
and for whatever reason avon and continental think their tires are also made of gold.
metzeler has decent tires too. but often over priced.

you should be able to get a 120/70/17 front and a 180/55/17 rear set for about $240-250 shipped for a set of hypersport tires like the dunlop Q3+ or the bridgestone S21 or S22, something like these from michelin will be closer to $300-315

if you're just a commuter and will never ride the bike at a quick pace on curvy roads often a set of cheap tires from shinko will suffice. i wouldn't bother buying high end supersport/hypersport tires if you commute mostly.

looks like dunlop and continental have some rebates.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

motomummy and american moto tire are 2 other places I sometimes buy tires from. shopping around will save you money.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
yeah its safe to do it but it's not optimal for ride and handling quality. motorcycle tires are designed to work in tandem with each other. so if you're just a commuter I don't see much of an issue. but if you like to ride the bike on curvy roads etc, don't do it. buy a set of tires. look online at dunlop or bridgestone. they may both still have their rebate program on new sets. for the last few years both of them have been offering $50, 60 and 70 rebates.
michelin thinks their tires are gold. but they're not. don't pay the prices they want for their tires.
bridgestone is often the least expensive with some of the best handling and grip.
dunlop often is comparable in price with bridgestone.
pirelli's have great high end race tires but shitty middle of the road tires. (in my opinion) just from personal bad experiences.
and for whatever reason avon and continental think their tires are also made of gold.
metzeler has decent tires too. but often over priced.

you should be able to get a 120/70/17 front and a 180/55/17 rear set for about $240-250 shipped for a set of hypersport tires like the dunlop Q3+ or the bridgestone S21 or S22, something like these from michelin will be closer to $300-315

if you're just a commuter and will never ride the bike at a quick pace on curvy roads often a set of cheap tires from shinko will suffice. i wouldn't bother buying high end supersport/hypersport tires if you commute mostly.

looks like dunlop and continental have some rebates.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

motomummy and american moto tire are 2 other places I sometimes buy tires from. shopping around will save you money.
Thanks!
I ended up going with an S22 since it's the OE spec upgrade from the S21 I had on already. I figured it'd be nice to stick with OEM, this is the first time I'm riding with a brand new front tire and god it feels insanely good, never knew.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

The Pilot Road 4s are great on wet and cold roads. The 5s have far less sipping, and have personally stuck (no pun intended) to the 4s. Even worn those have more grip that the stock Dunlops that came with it. Under ideal conditions, (dry warm, roads with no debris,) it probably won't matter what you go with. As road temps decrease, the differences get more and more apparent. Tire pressures are on your VIN tag. Reduce a little, for improved grip under less than ideal conditions. Set properly for good wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in