2Likes
  • 1 Post By skuo116
  • 1 Post By kj604

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Question 2 wheelsets for track & occasional road use

Hi all,

I want to set up my '09 R6 with 2 wheelsets for the track and occasional roaduse.
Although i get a decent lean angle (without any chickenstrips) i think i'm not quite ready to benefit from real slick tires, so maybe a semi-slick will be best suited.
I ride in the lower half of the intermediate group (previous with my bmw r1200gsa, hope that'll change with the R6
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).
I live in belgium: cold & wet to a hot 30C in summer.

I was thinking to gear up 1 wheelset for dry and another for wet conditions.
1 of them will be preferably suited for the occasional road-use.
What pressure would you use ?

On the road I'm most used to the michelin pilot road 4, but more than happy to try something totally different.

Any tips ?

Last edited by eldje; 07-07-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

After some reading I think I'll be going for the best bang for your buck: q3 plus, unless you can convince me otherwise. This fits the race and road.
Any recommendations for the 2nd wheelset ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:52 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: 2 wheelsets for track & occasional road use

Why not the Q4 for a more dedicated track set and then a nice sport touring set
eldje likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

True, good proposal 😁
At first I picked the Q3 plus for longevity and cost, I don't know if my intermediate level will benefit from the q4.
First tests I could find are really pro q4 so it will be a story of cost vs grip 🤔😁
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:22 AM
My R6 eats me.

Garage

A friend and I went from beginner all the way to upper mid-pack of the expert group before we outpaced the tires and possibly crashed a few time...

Q3 is probably your best bang for buck track day tire. A friend of mine (2010 Kawasaki Ninja 1000r) went through many sets at the beginning of our track day journey together.

I (2006 Yamaha R6), on the other hand, ran the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa which held up well at the track also in terms of wear and performance. Was able to ride with knee down on mild wet conditions at Thunderhill in California on some bends with these. Gave signs of slippage before giving out completely (Can't comment about that on the Q3 tho).

I like a pointier tire rather than the rounder Q3. I found the tip in on the Pirelli's were quicker, tho the Q3 felt effortless when needing to adjust lean angle mid-corner.

At the end of the day, they are both awesome tires that will go the distance are perfectly capable of getting you into the expert group without breaking the bank.

But since your running 2 sets of wheels and if it's in your budget, wouldn't hurt to get some slicks as an insurance policy. The price difference is probably still cheaper than having to repair the bike at the end of the day.

If Pirelli still made the Diable SuperBike Pro, I definitely recommend those. No Tire warmers needed with 1-2 warmup laps depending on ambient temperature and made to withstand many heat cycles where most slick aren't.

And god damn.. they lasted for so f***ing long.... Probably why Pirelli decided discontinued it.... LOL
eldje likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for your insights KJ604!

few facts:
none recommends a wet tire,
i still have 1 set with slicks who can be used for 1 trackday,
Q3plus/Q4 do not seem to be available here in belgium,

so i'll keep a slick set and the other set will probably be a set of pirelli's diablo rosso 3 (street & circuit).

thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in