Hi from Utah - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
R6 gets the babes?

Bike: Yamaha 2018 R6
Hi from Utah

I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha FZ-09 for a 2018 Yamaha R6.

This is my second R6. And my third sport bike. I trade/buy/upgrade bikes rather frequently I guess
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I joined this forum to find any other riders and such

Thnx
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019.06.22 r6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	607.5 KB
ID:	361920  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Hi from Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatmanblue View Post
I just traded in my 2016 Yamaha FZ-09 for a 2018 Yamaha R6.

This is my second R6. And my third sport bike. I trade/buy/upgrade bikes rather frequently I guess
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I joined this forum to find any other riders and such

Thnx
Matt
what's your thoughts on the new r6 compared to the 09?? I have a 2019 mt-09 right now and I hear the low end is just not great at all on the r6 compared to any bike never mind the 09 with its great low end. Are you happy with it compared? any feedback would be appreciated!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
R6 gets the babes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6realtor View Post
what's your thoughts on the new r6 compared to the 09?? I have a 2019 mt-09 right now and I hear the low end is just not great at all on the r6 compared to any bike never mind the 09 with its great low end. Are you happy with it compared? any feedback would be appreciated!
I found the FZ-09 fickle. I struggled to get smooth consistent feedback on throttle-regardless of mode. Sport mode handled down shifting better. None of the modes felt smooth all the way through the throttle change. Other than that, I enjoyed the bike.

I feel the r6 gives the rider much more consistent feedback. It has taken me by a bit of pleasant surprise how easy it is to change direction on the r6.

I haven't decided how much I'll miss the more seated like position you sit in on the FZ. They are different bikes and are meant for different riding.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:21 AM
My R6 eats me.

In 2017 the throttle got a lot better and of course an ecu tune cured it completely below the 2017's. I'm on my 4th fz/mt-09 now(2015, 2016, 2017 and a 2019) I've also had 3 new generation r1's and countless other bikes but never an r6, so I thought I might give one a go.

The seating position doesn't bother me at all, well maybe after the 1st couple of days and then I'm fine.
My concern is the usability of the engine, the mt-09 is right there all the time and from what I hear the r6 needs to be wound up much more(a front and rear sprocket change may help that situation?).

I only street ride at this point but would love to try to make time for a track day every once in a while with the r6 being such an amazing platform for racing.
I'm looking at the matte grey right now but absolutely love the 18 white/grey that you have, it's such a good looking bike!
Grinch and tatmanblue like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
R6 gets the babes?

I see what you're saying.

I think I was letting off the clutch on the FZ09 under 3k rpm. Im definitely letting off the clutch at a higher rpm in the R6, maybe around 4k. Hard to say exactly since I go by sound and feel. Next time I ride, I'll find an empty parking lot and watch more closely

I wonder if that has anything to do with the slipper clutch. I thought the FZ didn't have that (which was an upgrade I was considering)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatmanblue View Post
I see what you're saying.

I think I was letting off the clutch on the FZ09 under 3k rpm. Im definitely letting off the clutch at a higher rpm in the R6, maybe around 4k. Hard to say exactly since I go by sound and feel. Next time I ride, I'll find an empty parking lot and watch more closely

I wonder if that has anything to do with the slipper clutch. I thought the FZ didn't have that (which was an upgrade I was considering)
the 2017 and up fz/mt-09 does have a slipper clutch not sure on the 14-16??( I don't think so)
Does the r6 feel under powered compared to the 09?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
R6 gets the babes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6realtor View Post
the 2017 and up fz/mt-09 does have a slipper clutch not sure on the 14-16??( I don't think so)
Does the r6 feel under powered compared to the 09?
Not at all. I've been happy with the "output". I have the break in period to work through, which keeps me limited a bit from really pushing it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:59 PM
My R6 eats me.

congrats on the new pick up! I also have a 2018 R6 but in matte grey. The color you got looks amazing. I just got through the break in period and oh man is it fun!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 PM
My R6 eats me.

Looks good congrats!
tatmanblue likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
R6 gets the babes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyP View Post
congrats on the new pick up! I also have a 2018 R6 but in matte grey. The color you got looks amazing. I just got through the break in period and oh man is it fun!
Thnx. The matte grey looks great too. That was my first choice but decided on the white at the last moment. Glad you're enjoying your bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in