2001 Yamaha R6 (Blue) // What do ya think ? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

2001 Yamaha R6 (Blue) // What do ya think ?

Opinions & or Suggestions please.

I was going to buy a 2002 R6 and a buddy of mine wants to sell his 2003 R6. However, I just found out today that my neighbor wants to step up to a R1 and is willing to sell me his 2001 Blue VERY clean R6. For the most part its stock except for a MIG slip on and polished wheels. He's an older guy (mid 30's) and never raced it and doesnt even how to do a wheelie. Anyhow....is the 2001 R6 a good bike ? or should I still keep an eye out for a 2002 and up ?? Mind you this is my first bike and this 01 is VERY clean.

Please no comments on why Im getting a R6 as my first bike...Ive heard enough about staring on a 250cc.

What Im looking for is expierenced advice or review / comments on what you guys feel about a 2001 R6.

Thanks !!!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2K7 Blue R6S
Send a message via MSN to R6speedfreak
Welcome to the club of newbies wanting an R6! Im in the same boat but looking to buy new. There's nothing wrong and you shouldnt get flamed for looking for a 600cc bike to start on, its all about respect and riding smart and safe. With that said, welcome!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From what I have heard the '01 R6 is a good bike. Its carburated and wont get quit the milage of the fuel injected ones but havent heard anything bad about them. Good luck with your purchase and be sure to take pics when you get either that bike or any other one.

Later, R6Speedfreak
Old 03-19-2004, 06:06 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to vtlion
I have an '01 and I really love it. If you're gonna ride sane, its a great bike. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to stunt or abuse it because of the well-known 2nd gear 'problems' from 99-02. If your neighbor has ridden it gently and has good shifting technique then the bike shouldn't have any troubles. I would never buy a used 99-02 if I didn't know how it had been ridden before.

99-00 are very similar and 01-02 are very similar in styling. Since its your first bike, I would recommend thinking used because lets face it, bikes fall over, and they fall over more when they are owned by newbs (i know, i've been riding for a year now and I've had some terrifyingly close-drops). I got most of my 'oops'es out of the way on an old GS500 for 4 months, then I went used instead of new with the R6 so it wouldn't sting so badly when I finally put it down...so far I've defied the odds

The 2001 has 100 hp, sweet LED tail lights, and the best styling/ergos of any 600cc bike on the road... why WOULDN'T you want to buy that bike?!?!?!

This is a great list of what to look for in a used bike.. I think it might be helpful.

btw, how much are these respective bikes going for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 AM

Umm..I never heard bout a 2nd gear issue...I have a '99 so clue me in!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I eat my R6

Well the 2001 R6 IS the fastest R6 ever produced--contrary to the miscnception that the liquid silver paint contains teflon additives.

I happen to have one of these incredible macheens myself...

how i bought it and now....

Great First Bike!!

as long as you dont act like an ass, but instead, take the time to learn how to ride it.

These bikes are notorious for trouble with second gear. Mine pops out occasionally when i shift hard into second without the clutch. In order to minimize the risk of this happening, dont beat on it, and use the clutch when shifting into second gear.

"Treat it like you love it , ride it like you hate it"

PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ANNOY THOSE OF US THAT DO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I eat my R6

Jasamb:

Is the '01 R6 the fastest R6 produced? I thought the '04 was? The '04 supposedly does the 1/4 in 10.65 and tops out at 165.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
I eat my R6

The blue 01 R6 IS the fastest R6 ever produced**...

**This is based on nothing more than the fact that the blue 01 R6 is the one that I ride...If I owned an 04....then the 04 would in fact, be....the fastest one....

I hope this clears up any confusion....

"Treat it like you love it , ride it like you hate it"

PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ANNOY THOSE OF US THAT DO!

Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I eat my R6

Gotcha
Old 03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to vtlion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv1guy
Umm..I never heard bout a 2nd gear issue...I have a '99 so clue me in!
Some R6 owners have reported problems with 2nd gear slipping out due to premature wear of the drive dogs on the gear. Yamaha denies that it is a design/manufacturing flaw, but they added two additional dogs to the 03 design. Basically, I think they didn't want to hear any more griping.

If your technique sucks or you are riding like a psycho and missing/grinding second gear alot, you can wear the dogs down and the bike will start slipping out of gear. Believe me, I'm not trying to talk you out of the R6, its an AWESOME bike. Any chuckle-head can grind the gears on any bike, so its good to know how a used bike was treated regardless of the make/model.

Its not generally a problem IF you shift like you mean it and don't miss the gear alot. So if you are buying a bike with thousands of miles on it, its best to know who rode it and how they treated it. I just thought you would want to be able to make the most informed decision you can about it. The topic has been covered many times on discussion boards... search around and you'll get a feel for it.

Others may disagree with me, but I like to err on the side of caution.

JMHO

Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback.

I appreciate the info on second gear, that is new news to me. I know that my neighbor (seller of bike) pampered his bike. Again he doenst even know how to do tricks and rides very modestly. Its a very clean 01 with 4800k miles, I believe thats low for an 01 ? Anyhow, since I know the care he's taken with the bike I may as well get that one instead of a used 02 from the dealer right down the street.

Thanks dude !!

He's asking $5,500
-O1 Blue/White Yamaha R6 (mint) / 4800K miles
-Polished wheels
-Custom rear turn signals
-License plate fender eliminator
-Steering Dampner
-MIG slip on
-Matching Yamaha leather jacket (1 size to small for me)

So is that a good deal, or is there any room to play ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in