Optimal Race Fairings Install - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09
Optimal Race Fairings Install

Me and fellow forum member Tobanybe got plenty of wrench time on my bike this weekend. Bought and installed Optimal Race Fairings. I was skeptical on buying Optimal, and changed my mind to Rockwall, then to Factory Bodyworks and kept going back and forth between the 3 brands. Since I'm on a budget I decided to get Optimal after reading WERA members positive feedback for the $ on them. My other criteria was to order glass from a company that will sell invividual pieces when I wreck.

I haven't used other race glass so I can't compare weight or flexibility but I'm pleased with the quality for $345. Fitment wasn't much of an issue, I give fitment a 7.5 out of 10 because the windscreen doesn't match up 100% and the belly pan, upper, and tail have a few gaps. I have OCD so if something is off by just a notch I fuss about it.

I got a little crazy with the dremel and made the frame slider holes too big, but whatever. Most guys have track bikes with some, if not several flaws when you get up close to inspect. I'll fit right in
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bergster; 06-15-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
190rwhp......:eek5

Bike: 2011 S1000RR, 97 CR500
Send a message via Yahoo to jwxfd
Re: Optimal Race Fairings Install

Very nice...I like

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig courtesy of the man himself: GIjoe007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I eat my R6

Very nice

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I eat my R6

funny i just installed my optimal racing race glass this weekend too. i'd give it about the same review.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

looks good, like the red brake lines

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2005 CTS V

The fitment looks great from my view! Great work, mang.

Full Titanium Sato GP
Woodcraft Clip-Ons
Graves Smog Plates
Fren Turbo Type 4's
AggRacing Rear Wave Rotor
Pazzo Shorties
Bazzaz ZFI + AFM

Future Mods:
Track time +++
Brembo RCS
HyperPro RSC
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2004 R6 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergster View Post
Me and fellow forum member Tobanybe got plenty of wrench time on my bike this weekend. Bought and installed Optimal Race Fairings. I was skeptical on buying Optimal, and changed my mind to Rockwall, then to Factory Bodyworks and kept going back and forth between the 3 brands. Since I'm on a budget I decided to get Optimal after reading WERA members positive feedback for the $ on them. My other criteria was to order glass from a company that will sell invividual pieces when I wreck.

I haven't used other race glass so I can't compare weight or flexibility but I'm pleased with the quality for $345. Fitment wasn't much of an issue, I give fitment a 7.5 out of 10 because the windscreen doesn't match up 100% and the belly pan, upper, and tail have a few gaps. I have OCD so if something is off by just a notch I fuss about it.

I got a little crazy with the dremel and made the frame slider holes too big, but whatever. Most guys I meet in expert group have track bikes with some, if not several flaws when you get up close to inspect. I'll fit right in

Other things on our to do list was change the oil to Yamalube Synthetic, install Woodcraft frame sliders, and drink beer. We achieved 3 of the 4 tasks..

The task we didn't complete is the oil change because the Dbags at the Yamaha shop stripped my drain plug when I had them do my oil last September. We had to use a breaker bar to get the plug loose and we knew something was wrong. So now I'm waiting until Tuesday to haul the bike to them and raise hell and tell them they are installing a new oil pan free of charge. Picture of the stripped threads I pulled off the plug:
Looking good... You doing Hallet May 15th/16th?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
track junkie

Bike: 07 R6 (sold)06 R6 (track)

looks good. I'll probably be ordering a set very soon
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Nice!

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Jonesing for track

Bike: 06 Track, 03 R6, 14' FZ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_SIXXER View Post
Looking good... You doing Hallet May 15th/16th?
I signed up for the 15th/16th but had to cancel my entry...I have to go down to Louisiana Tech for a friends graduation that weekend. I'll be at Hallett on June 6th. Question is: when are you going to go?! You can't keep showing up just to take pictures

Last edited by Bergster; 05-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in