Track Days, help on the step up - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory
Track Days, help on the step up

Hello one and all- Finally got a 3rd track day in for the year and am feeling that I'm starting to get past the initial shock and awe of the track day experience (the glory of knee dragging, the running off track incidents, and past group 1!). I found myself a few times during yesterdays sessions riding mostly alone on the track (had found a few people ahead of me at times however made my way past them with most of them). My overall goal would be to become a solid group 3 (groups based on what groups absolute was running yesterday, I'm assuming would be a solid intermediate level). Aside from apparel issues to resolve to increase my comfort how do you feel about transponders? I think an ability to gauge how fast I am during sessions will at least help give me a ball park as too if I'm doing better and / or worse. I've ridden with a few coaches who've given me good advice & observations but maybe I should consider a sportsbike school as well? Thanks everyone.

Here's a shot of me at the track yesterday. I know I could do better getting off the bike, however compared to my first two outings I feel I'm making decent progression.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	50652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	50653  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
B4B

Bike: my bitch
Re: Track Days, help on the step up

U look like ur getting off the bike just fine. If anything i would suggest maybe getting ur head off the side of the bike more, towards ur hand if u will. Dont worry bout running lap timers IMO. The most important thing is to just get out there and get tons of seat time. That itself will get you where you wanna be. If you have any questions or concerns get with your control riders. They will be able to help you the most since they are on the track with you. As far as the school, i say wait until you are the faster of the I group and then take the school.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Jason

R.I.P David

R.I.P Josh
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluna9657 View Post
U look like ur getting off the bike just fine. If anything i would suggest maybe getting ur head off the side of the bike more, towards ur hand if u will. Dont worry bout running lap timers IMO. The most important thing is to just get out there and get tons of seat time. That itself will get you where you wanna be. If you have any questions or concerns get with your control riders. They will be able to help you the most since they are on the track with you. As far as the school, i say wait until you are the faster of the I group and then take the school.
+1

I totally agree with juan. get ur head out more like kissing the mirrors and drop the elbows to help ur shoulder. This by itself will tremendously improve your feel on the bike. I know it did for me.
I never ran a lap timer yet thats coz I'm still in the middle level of the intermediate group. Once I get fast enough to pass mostly everyone in the intermediate group then I plan on getting a lap timer. At this time, focus should be on line-building, body positioning, corner techniques and braking. Times will go down rapidly first and then tail off.
When I get to the advanced group, then I'll go to the race school of some sort.

Good luck and try to get as much time on the track as possible. Control riders are the best resource out there and use them as much as you can.

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I eat my R6

is there any specific place on where to read the "kissing the mirror technique"?

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
B4B

Bike: my bitch

Man im shocked that there isn't a ton of guys commenting on this thread......

RIP Jason

R.I.P David

R.I.P Josh
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Sho'Nuff

Bike: 2000 R6
Send a message via AIM to Neo Xian Wu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluna9657 View Post
Man im shocked that there isn't a ton of guys commenting on this thread......
+1. I half expected it to be at least a few pages by now.

As far as technique goes, when I had my first trackday, the control rider said to try to get half a cheek (not your face) off the seat. You use the arm opposite the lean to gauge how far you're going to get off the bike. They recommended laying your outside arm against the tank, then bending the inside arm at the elbow until you're up against the tank. Head should be down near the mirror location, looking through the turn. Have your outside knee braced against the tank and inside knee out towards the turn.

One tip the control rider also mentioned, if you're doing it right, you should be able to look down and see the track. If you still see the bike, you're not over far enough.

Just look through the turns. Generally, there's gonna be cones, so look to each cone as you're going. When you get to a turn, look to the cone at the apex, then when you're about to hit the apex, look to the cone of the exit. It's a fast paced game of connect-the-dots lol.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
www.1seven1.com

Transponders rock, but I've never been to a track day where they fire up the equipment. It's mostly used for races, as far as I've seen.

I've got an XT lap timer but I don't often use it ... once in a while when I'm doing set-up or something, I'll pull my transponder and run the lap timer (saves the public embarrassment of slow lap times).

My riding position sucks, but I know what I *should* be doing. One of the best tips I picked up was from a top-level racer was watching how economical his body movements were ... no wasted movement. Smooth and didn't upset the bike. He got off the bike as little as he needed to to reduce lean angle (and risk)

More head and shoulders off the bike, less ass and body. I've got red tape on the corners of my windscreen as a reminder.

-D

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Custom User Title

Bike: Built 08 r6 race bike
Send a message via AIM to Daredevil

brake later
carry more corner speed
get harder on the gas sooner. don't wait to be almost vertical before snapping that throttle open. spread the butter while picking up the bike

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 03:34 AM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

If you are in the middle group, or group two as they call it where you are at. I would worry more on getting comfortable in that group and passing people. When you are passing the same guy in the group 2 times in a session and you are not nervous about working around other riders, then you may be ready for the fastest group.

The A group, group 3, or group 1 guys depending on what organization you go through all have one thing in common. They are really F-N fast and will pass you in spots where you least expect it and where you thought that there was no room to get by. You will think you are fast, until some dude ( or chick ), blows by you like you are sitting still in the middle of a corner, between you and the rumble strip where you left a one and a half foot hole that they could fit through. I'M NOT KIDDING........ I'm one of those guys which is why I warn you. If you at all skiddish about being passed by someone going twice as fast as you in what you thought was the least likely spot then you are not ready to move forward.

About the lap timer and why I made a segway about groups. You will not need a lap timer until you are ready to think about racing. You will be ready for racing when you are the guy that is passing people in the A group like I mentioned above. Having a lap timer now will only give you an idea of where you stand in terms of race time. Perhaps you will be 20 seconds off the race pace. Loosing a few seconds won't matter much and seeing it won't help you loose them any faster. When you start getting to around 10 seconds off of race pace it gets more difficult to loose time. That is when a lap timer is helpful. It will help you grasp where you are slow. Time gets harder to loose as you get closer and closer to race pace. The lap timer will help, but only because you will be able to see the difference in time from changes done to the bike. At this point in time there is no real gain from seeing if changes work or not and how they reflect on time. You need to get comfortable, and confident in your riding first. Once you get to the fastest group and can work your way through most of them easily, then a lap timer will be of more use.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 AM
slow guy

Bike: 2007 R6

good stuff^^^^ I've also found that signing up and actually racing is the best way to learn and go faster. The race pace is always faster then when you are out practicing at a track day.

Rockriverpowersports.com
Trackside suspension and engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in