Winterizing. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas
Winterizing.

Hey guys,

Wondering if there is anything special I should do to winterize my bike, now that i'm using it for track riding.

Cooling System
I'm going to drain the Water+Water Wetter that I have in there now.
--Do I need to fill the bike with coolant, or can I just let it sit empty?

Battery
Taking the battery out and putting it on a tender.

Tires
I've got BT-003RS's on there with one track day on them. I plan to put the bike up on front/rear stands and leave it that way all winter.
--Any specific pressures I should have in the tires?

Fuel
Tank is full of 91 and Stabil. Ran the bike for about 10 minutes to get the stabil in the entire fuel system.

Thanks!
Panici
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, Pirelli SBK Pro Slicks, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...
Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Panici; 10-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: Winterizing.

There was a thread posted like 4 days ago about this. in that thread you will find a link to a search showing other threads

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Knee drags YOU!

Bike: '05 R6 + Vintage Yamahas

Right, but my question was more specific in a few areas. Namely tire pressure and running straight water.

Mods: Armor Bodies Superbike bodywork, Pirelli SBK Pro Slicks, Renthal 50mm Clipons, Bickle warmers, etc, etc...
Gear: ATGATT down to the mouthguard.

A few vintage Yamaha bikes

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Motorcycles rock!!

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6

If your storage area will never get below freezing for extended periods of time, their should be no need to drain the water+water wetter. However, for insurance, you may want to drain and refill it with the standard 50/50 antifreeze mixture. This just makes more work in the spring because I would drain/refill with distilled water a couple of times just to flush as much antifreeze out as possible.

I would just inflate the tires as you do normally and even add a psi or two and not worry about it.

My winter maintenance has varied for all of the different motorcycles that I have owned, and I have never had a failure due to something specific that I did or did not do.

-------------------------------
Sportbikes rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in