Putting the knee down - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca
Putting the knee down

Well Oct 2nd was my last track day. And it was a blast. After two instructor groups I felt good enough on the bike and knew the line well enough to go it alone. Well I ended up getting my knee down twice and it freaked the hell out of me both times. I didn't think I was far enough over when it happened. What tips or trick do you guys have for judging when you’re far enough to put your knee down? And how do you react to it? I'm a newbie on the track and now just waiting till next year.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
OMRRA #79

Bike: R6
Re: Putting the knee down

My biggest tip is to just stop thinking about it! If your are just out trying to get a knee down and thats what your are thinking about thats a recipe for disaster! You have way to many things to think about to be worried about trying to get off the bike or OVER lean into a corner. Just do what feals natural and all of a sudden you wont be able to get your knee off the ground and you will be pissed at the fact your are having to buy knee pucks every trackday!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
I hate you Turn 4!

Bike: 09 Orca

Thats the thing I wasn't thinking about it and when it did happen it freaked the hell out of me because I wasn't ready for it and almost lost the bike both times due to not being prepared for it. I'm not trying to get my knee down just trying to get smoother and faster every time I'm out. Just trying to learn how to adjust to the feeling of when it happens and trick to deal with it when it does from other track guys.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
OMRRA #79

Bike: R6

You will definatly get use to it the more it happens. I also found myself using it as a crutch as my riding got better and faster! I still keep my knee on the ground way more then I should, it just seems to keep my mind at ease knowing exactly where the lean angle of my bike is through whole corner.

Last edited by Jason D; 10-07-2010 at 01:07 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I eat my R6

my lap times are faster when i dont drag knee, plus then i have to buy new pucks every other weekend or so.

you'll get used to it, and then not care when you do it and even to the point of trying not to do it...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

i freaked out the first couple times it happened as well. eventually when it happens all the time you dont even think about it and you are able to stay focused on everything else. Its like with everything else, the more you do it, the more comfortable you are.

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Just a dumb racer..

Bike: Supersport R6

If my knee hits the deck I just lift it. If I can't lift it because my fairings are in the way, I'm almost out of tyre.

GIJoe007 ftw

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '09 R6

ive never touched a knee or been to a track day either
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
but how fast are yall going when you do touch your knee?

-David

facebook.com/velovelo
PSN-Shootr7

Mods:
-Krypton Bulbs HIDs 10000k-Olson Performance Y-Pipe-Custom Paint (more to come)-Motodynamic taillight-D2 moto fender eliminator-Joe Florida Led's
-IPhone mount
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Depends on the turn/track

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
Depends on the turn/track
this. ive had my knee down at over 100mph and im sure on the slower side as well, 50-60 dont really know.

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in