Bike Transport: Feasible option? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory
Bike Transport: Feasible option?

Continuously doing research to prepare for next year, one of the obstacles to tackle is bike transport. On the occasions I do not have transport lined up, I've been trying to reason what would be a good way to get to track days alone and with minimum investment. Since I do not own neither a pick up / SUV or a home with driveway / garage I've been thinking this somewhat: a versahaul connected to an installed hitch to my standard 4 door sedan? I have an '04 Passat and an '06 Altima, and was wondering your opinions as to overall reliability & safety of this type of transport. I've seen plenty of people with hitches mounted on standard 4 door sedans (and in the advent I could borrow someone's SUV in the off chance) and the versahaul seems to be the most cost and space effective, since I can literally keep it in my basement and mount / dismount as I need. I've attached a photo of the product. My most major concern would be the reliability in which the hitch is installed to handle the weight. Thanks for your opinions / concerns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VH55_9.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	52366  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles
Re: Bike Transport: Feasible option?

I've seen a 2nd gen R6 carried on one of those.. I don't know how safe I would feel with it bouncing up and down, but I've seen it done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
MITICO

Bike: 07 R6 & 08 RSV-R Factory

Same worry here. My biggest hesitation is the drives home. Figure to get to the track late evening before or early morning I can't imagine much stop / go, but caught in traffic getting home etc I'd give me reason to question it.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

as long as it has 3 mounting points and doesnt rely solely on the receiver hitch... that would be a nice setup.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM
NCSportbikes.com

Bike: 09 R6

I'd rather have a trailer and keep it outside under a tarp than put my bike on one of those.

Sig Credit: GIJOE007
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Waiting On the weather...

Bike: 2009 Orange R6
Send a message via Yahoo to yfzttracer

First off these will only be for a class 3 or higher receiver hitch. You will not be able to get more than a class 2 for the above mentioned cars.

That brings me to the second thing. You are talking about putting a 400lb. bike approx. 1-2 feet off the back of a sedan that is barley rated for that much load in the trunk. The load from that much weight with that kind of leverage would likely have the front tires off the ground.

One last thing im not sure of the load rating for this one specifically but most are onlt rated for average weight of a dirt bike.

IMO your best bet is to save this money and find a small pickup for using to haul the bike around. Or at the least put the hitch on the car and get a small trailer.

09 Orange R6

HB flush mounts, Motodynamics taillight, Vortex frame sliders, PCV+Auto tune, Roth Block offs, Arrow "Dark Series" slip-on, Olson Mid Pipe,Kryptonbulbs.com HID Headlights , Driven D3 grips, Stomp Grips, Much more to come.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Bike: Pasta & Rice

Not worth the risk. Period.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post
Not worth the risk. Period.
I think its funny that you guys honestly believe that those hitch mounts are going to break. I would be suspect on like a class 1 or 2 hitch, but above that, they are rated to take more than enough tongue weight to adequately handle your bike. Assuming you can securely mount it and keep it from moving around, it will be just fine. Still though, I have a truck so I dont have to worry...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Bike: Pasta & Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
I think its funny that you guys honestly believe that those hitch mounts are going to break. I would be suspect on like a class 1 or 2 hitch, but above that, they are rated to take more than enough tongue weight to adequately handle your bike. Assuming you can securely mount it and keep it from moving around, it will be just fine. Still though, I have a truck so I dont have to worry...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So in other words, you'd be willing to put your RSV-R Factory on a Class III hitch on a VW Passat or Nissan Altima? If you're comfortable with it, all the power to you...

"Always be yourself... unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

"Anal is just like riding a bicycle... Except without the seat." -Mark Spiegler

If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened... -- Valentino Rossi

Unlike one made of concrete, the wall of adversity will eventually fall when we exert enough pressure. -- Max Edge

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -- James Dean

sig courtesy of the mega-talented dboyslade

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxxEdge View Post
So in other words, you'd be willing to put your RSV-R Factory on a Class III hitch on a VW Passat or Nissan Altima? If you're comfortable with it, all the power to you...
If thats what I had to do to get to the track, you would see it.

I went to an enduro once in Oregon with my CR250 and I didnt have a truck and my folks truck was in the shop. I took the bike apart enough to where I could fit it in the back of my VW rabbit and drove it up there in the back. Then I put it together, ran the race, and when it was over, I took it apart again and drove home. Its a question of common sense AND motivation. But then, as I said, I have a truck now..... but I am rather careless... 2 old tiedowns and a single baxley all the way to SLC and back was fine at 85mph... and I have full coverage....so.... yeah...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in