help with technique - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

Bike: 03 R6
help with technique

ok so i had my first ever trackday on saturday and im curious about my technique and some bad habits i may have had on the track. i wasnt able to hit it to hard and i was very conservative since there was a good inch of water everywhere and id never ridden in rain on top of it. the first turn after the straight was very off camber so i took it very calm and i left myself plenty of braking time on some parts. and i checked my blind spot like i was merging like a dozen times but other then that lemme have it. i have a vid from tailview around a lap and a couple pics. anything constructive is very VERY appreciated.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

Re: help with technique

btw air temp was 53 and track temp was 49 and rain all day except for one damp heat towards noon. this is a lap from heat 2
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
TRAVELER

Bike: '07 "50th Anniversary" R6

Keep your head down, point your elbow to the side where you are turning, place your head WAY towards the mirror (exaggerate like your trying to drag your chin because it is difficult to get used to if you ride on the street a lot) and trust your bike.

Also get your body off, place your foot properly, and start to point your elbow to the side your turning to BEFORE the turn. From your body position, it appears your ass is off but your upper body is still on the wrong side. Right TIT on LEFT side of the tank and vice versa depending which way you're turning. Try to place your head way left or right of your windscreen while you point your elbow towards the turn. Your body will follow and your bike will turn easier since the center of gravity is lower. I placed the a photo on my sig below from this weekend's trackday. My body position is not perfect but that is why we do trackdays.

But more importantly, get your suspension set up if you have not done so. Better tires (with proper pressure coz this will vary depending on your tire), and brakes. I can tell you that the DUNLOP Q2s are AWESOME!

HTH,
Robin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robinson75; 10-25-2010 at 11:24 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

O wow thank u, Ima have to print that out and take that to the track. I feel like its difficult to get my body that far over since I'm only 5'5 but its prolly just in my head. What's wrong with my foot placement ?

Last edited by motoguy; 10-25-2010 at 12:23 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

And I am running q2s and they are amazing and the track guys said 32 psi
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
TRAVELER

Bike: '07 "50th Anniversary" R6

Look at my foot placement and it’ll give you an idea what I am talking about. I cannot tell from your photos but this does make a difference. Do not worry about your height because I am maybe 2 inches taller than you are but have no problem getting the bike lower or dragging knees. Remember though that dragging knees is just a way to gauge how far you are from the ground. Do not use it as an eraser. Yes, it some use it as a trophy but after a while it becomes expensive since you have to get pucks more often.

I would recommend 28 rear and 30 front (COLD) for your tire pressure. This came from the Dunlop Vendor right from the trackday. And it did make a difference. I did feel the difference. But make sure you check this mid day

Work on different things on the track such as BP, foot positioning, hand position (and even arm) and soon you will notice that the bike can do a whole lot more than you thought. Relax your grip and let your legs hold you up on the bike. Little things like these will help you make better decision because you are not so uptight. And remember also to ride within your capabilities. Try things slowly. Another thing is to learn the track and where the apex of the turn is because this will give you an idea the lines you should be taking. These lines and knowing the apex is key to getting out of the turn faster but more importantly not opening that throttle too much and too early which can cause you to lay it down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Robin

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson75 View Post
Look at my foot placement and itíll give you an idea what I am talking about. I cannot tell from your photos but this does make a difference. Do not worry about your height because I am maybe 2 inches taller than you are but have no problem getting the bike lower or dragging knees. Remember though that dragging knees is just a way to gauge how far you are from the ground. Do not use it as an eraser. Yes, it some use it as a trophy but after a while it becomes expensive since you have to get pucks more often.

I would recommend 28 rear and 30 front (COLD) for your tire pressure. This came from the Dunlop Vendor right from the trackday. And it did make a difference. I did feel the difference. But make sure you check this mid day

Work on different things on the track such as BP, foot positioning, hand position (and even arm) and soon you will notice that the bike can do a whole lot more than you thought. Relax your grip and let your legs hold you up on the bike. Little things like these will help you make better decision because you are not so uptight. And remember also to ride within your capabilities. Try things slowly. Another thing is to learn the track and where the apex of the turn is because this will give you an idea the lines you should be taking. These lines and knowing the apex is key to getting out of the turn faster but more importantly not opening that throttle too much and too early which can cause you to lay it down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Robin
ive gone through a set of pucks of two lol, im really not worried about draggin a knee. the track condition was really worrying me a bit so i was holding back a lot. this was also heat 2 out of 5 and i got alot looser towards the end but even then im not gettin off the bike as much as your pic so ima work on that alot and point my elboz. i cant really see your feet but im staying on the balls of the front of my foot and i have griptape on my swingarm and thats where i rest my heels so to say. ive read totw and totw 2 and taken alot from those. but i def think that ur right about my street style riding taking over, im still in the ready to get the hell out of the way incase of roadkill, idiots, or something bad on the road. i need to realize that nothing is coming the other way and hang off the bike more. thank you again
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

From what I can see you are doing just fine. your throttle control is good and your lines are fine for your speed. I would work on downshifting. You seem to be waiting until the bitter end to get it done. You should be able to downshift almost as soon as you start braking and then another one at about the same time that you were in the video. Don't try to compress shifting down into a quick succession. Space it out a little by getting the first one done sooner.

I would also work on getting your chest down on the tank. You can do this by getting your butt further back on the seat. This will help in the turns as well by not being so crossed up. Just work on getting your head down a little more or getting the chest on the tank.

something like this:

See how my armpit is pretty much over the gas tank filler. You can also see how much lower I am on the bike. This lowers the cg of the bike a bit and can help reduce used lean angle. I have my butt further back on the seat in order to do this. I am 5' 8" tall so I am not much bigger than you. It will be weird at first but once you get used to the position it should help.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
From what I can see you are doing just fine. your throttle control is good and your lines are fine for your speed. I would work on downshifting. You seem to be waiting until the bitter end to get it done. You should be able to downshift almost as soon as you start braking and then another one at about the same time that you were in the video. Don't try to compress shifting down into a quick succession. Space it out a little by getting the first one done sooner.

I would also work on getting your chest down on the tank. You can do this by getting your butt further back on the seat. This will help in the turns as well by not being so crossed up. Just work on getting your head down a little more or getting the chest on the tank.

something like this:

See how my armpit is pretty much over the gas tank filler. You can also see how much lower I am on the bike. This lowers the cg of the bike a bit and can help reduce used lean angle. I have my butt further back on the seat in order to do this. I am 5' 8" tall so I am not much bigger than you. It will be weird at first but once you get used to the position it should help.

ok that makes alot more sense. i do ride right up on the tank. i was actually really scared to downshift because i dont have a slipper clutch so if i downshifted high in the gear my back end went nuts and i found myself spending way to much concentration on clutch instead of the next turn so i waited to the last second for my rpms to be lower and not so violent. im terrible at rev matching i found out
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
track is legal heroin

btw i love that full red setup it looks awesome!!!!! i bet noone misses you on the track hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in