Setting up the 07 r6 for the track? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Question Setting up the 07 r6 for the track?

I am setting up the 07 R6 for the track and would like as much info as you can.

Things I would like to know morw about

Supension set up?

Are you riding higher than stock if so how much?

gearing?

Tires and tire size?

Anything that may help in setting up this bike for the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
SLO Rider

Bike: 2006 R6 + 1982 XJ750 Cafe
Re: Setting up the 07 r6 for the track?

Will this be your first time at the track?

If so, all you really need to do is tape your lights, take out the fuses for them, probably remove your mirrors or tape them depending on the track day requirements. There should be a suspension guy there who will set your sag and adjust your compression/rebound for between $20-$50. Get this done in the morning, ideally before the 1st session. Some of them will work with you all day, but this may cost more.

The stock bike is more then adequate to get you into A group. I would approach any changes/mods from a need point of view. Are you trying to squeeze a couple more seconds off your already consistent laptimes, or do you just want the bike to be "faster" then the other 600s around you? These are the questions you should be asking yourself. Get the bike in good running order and you will be just fine. The track can be a humbling experience so go out there to have fun, not be the fastest.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
B4B

Bike: 2007 R6 (Race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post

Supension set up?

gearing?

Tires and tire size?

This is all relative man. Suspension set up depends upon what kind of tires you have and how you ride. Gearing depends upon what kind of track you are at. Etc...

If you are a beginner you won't need much more than what you have now. Tape up your lights and and learn as much as you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Everything you listed would change from rider to rider. Gearing is dependent on the track, a lot of guys run the -1/+2, but on some tracks you may need -1/0 or even stock gearing. Tires, well depends on how fast your running, some guys are running the 190 rear tire, but then you may need to shim you rear shock to compensate for the taller tire.

A good baseline suspension setup is the best way to go, then you can make changes based on what you feel out on the track.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

seat time is the best thing you can buy right now.

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6

If your looking for a starting point on the suspension setting you can try Sport Rider Magazine. They have suggested suspension settings archived for all popular sport bikes. These settings will vary with weight, bike weight, riding style, and may other factors but give you a general range.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
B4B

Bike: 2007 R6 (Race)

There should be a suspension person at the track. Get him to set you up for your weight and go from there. This is a great investment to start off with.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones View Post

Supension set up?

gearing?

Tires and tire size?

for suspension, i plan on giving my bike to the "turn one racing" guys at my first track day of the season (just like i've done in the past) and let them set it up for me. costs about $60

stock height

stock gearing

whatever the best deal is between the several "track day" tires available. in the stock sizes

start small. first track day should be done with a bone stock bike with the lights taped up. the bike is surprisingly track ready right from the factory...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Question Re: Setting up the 07 r6 for the track?

OK this bike is a dedicated track bike. I have already set the bike up with the some mods like

Shark Skinz race fairings (corrected fro my weight)
vortex rear sets
Penske rear shock (Triple)
Race tech springs ave valves in the front (for my weight)
Bazzax FiQs (quick shift)
Yoush full system
and a few other treats

my questions are more asking about tire, swing arm angle, ride height, and geometry setup more than anything else.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM
SLO Rider

Bike: 2006 R6 + 1982 XJ750 Cafe

What I'm trying to say is to not buy any more goodies and try to setup what you already have to be as close to stock as possible. Once you get some seat time you can start making changes based on your personal preferences and experiences, and the input of an experienced suspension tuner.

I realize that you have some money and are trying to set up the ultimate track bike before ever heading out to the track. Nothing wrong with that, wish I could buy all those toys. The problem is that to appreciate what those pieces really do for you it takes seat time and before/after comparison of the changes.

Don't go for the 190 rear yet. It will require suspension/geometry tweaks and some shims, basically more stuff to buy. Don't go for slicks. It will require tire warmers, a generator, possibly some suspension tweaks, basically more stuff to buy. Save the money you would spend on more stuff, get what you have working as close to stock as possible, and do as many track days as you can. The cost adds up really quick when you take into account gas, tires, brake pads, oil, and all the other disposables that get used up on a regular basis on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in