03 r6 tech questions - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
ttc
My R6 eats me.

Bike: track 03 r6
03 r6 tech questions

posted already on wera but thought i see what kind of response i get here too...

hey guys been tinkering with a 03 r6 that was a track day bike. When the previous owner got the bike it came with ss lines, ohlins internals and springs in the forks, race skins, acropovic slip on and a pc3 not installed. He put on a elka rear shock. over the last 6 months i have scrounged up some more parts for the bike. Spare rims, rotors and cush, Yoshi header, bmc race air filter, newer r6 radial master, factory pro velocity stacks and 05 throttle body assembly. front seemed ok for my weight but back was sprung to hard so i got a lighter spring. setting suspension will have to wait till closer to the riding season to see what i weigh lol... A friend once told me losing 8 lbs is like gaining a hp to get me motivated to get in shape over the winter!

I have read on the Y.E.C. parts for there velocity stacks for road racing to put the outer stacks in the middle and put the yec ones on the outsides or use all 4 for hp at the top end. Can anyone comment on both setups

I got the 05 throttle bodies as they are a bit larger bore and since the thing will never see the street i was not concerned about start and stop riding or low rpm riding.

I have also looked at blocking up the slides, what i have read on forums is it is a big difference in throttle response. I ride a 99 fi srad on the street so the on off of the throttle when riding in town i am used to. again any comments on this.

since the bike is laid up for the winter i thought bout pulling the head and putting in a yec race head gasket. but i don't want to run race fuel so am wondering how much the compression would change. i thought i read that stock is 60 and you can get 55 and 50 yec gaskets. At the same time i wonder if a manual cam chain tensioner would be good investment.. I know they are a must for the srads. have one in my srad and b12.

after all the changes are made i will install the pc3 and get a dyno tune for it as i know it will need it. I never had much luck with generic maps and for what i would like to do it would be far from generic changes.

Please guys I would like constructive criticism and advice no flaming please i have been googling for any info also.

thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6
Re: 03 r6 tech questions

I would keep the original TB's for starters and I also wouldn't bother with the slide stops. You will have to get a 2005 ecu for the bike to run right with the 05 throttle bodies. the slide stops are a pain in the ass and you need a fuel pump regulator for them. The 05 bike is the only bike that has the proper fuel regulator stock. All other bikes don't have it. The slide stops even after a full dyno tune still don't work properly. Yes the throttle is snappier and all, but it doesn't work right with quick goosing. This will be exacerbated with the 05 TB's with a 03 ECU.

Forget about running thinner gaskets unless you really want to spend 8 dollars a gallon on race gas. That is the only thing that will happen if you go that route. The manual chain tensioner isn't a horrible idea but it won't add HP.

As for the Velocity stacks, it depends on which ones you have. If you have the standard ones, or the super flares. The super flares are very small and you use all 4. the standards you can play with the stockers and whatnot. I would just use what comes in the kit. Forget about switching things in and out. I have played with them and no difference can be noticed. I have the super flares in my 05. They are very nice.

I would look into an ignition advancer if you are looking for power and a snappier throttle. I went with a +6 deg. and it works great. +4 is fine too. I would leave the TB's alone and just use the full Velocity stack set. forget about the gasket set because you will need to run race gas with them. Loosing 7 lbs. is about like adding 1 hp. But it still won't make you faster. But I removed the cooling fans, emissions system, AIS system and any regulators and relays I didn't need and removed about 15 lbs. worth of weight with all that. I still didn't notice a faster bike. Honestly doing all that power up stuff is worthless and a waste of money unless you are racing for first place. That money is better spent on track days and keeping the GF happy instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
ttc
My R6 eats me.

already have the complete throttle bodies with fuel rails and all so i will have the regulator so it will have the higher fuel pressure. i was looking to get the ignition advancer. i know the mcct is not a power thing but an insurance thing incase of failure of the stock tensioner.I didn't think bumping the compression up a tad with thinner head gasket would drive one to need to run race fuel. but did think about throwing some leaded fuel in the mix. I was thinking that with a dyno tune for the pc map i would not need a 05 ecu..

Last edited by ttc; 01-09-2011 at 03:01 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 PM
crashing aint so bad

You may be lucky and not need an ECU with the PCIII. Depends on the quality of your tuner? I can tell you that people that run the 05 TB's on an anything other than an 05 bike have issues with fueling and ride-ability. As for the slide stops I highly suggest giving up on those. I had them and even had the bike tuned with them and the tuner could not get the bike to run right. I have talked with others that have had the same issue. It does make the throttle snappier, but if you goose the throttle hard and fast the bike will bog. I had nothing but issues with them. Not only that they are not legal in many race classes for supersport.

As for the gasket, hell yeah it makes a difference. It doesn't seem like much, but the bike is in a high state of tune already. If you go with a thinner gasket and an ignition advancer of any sort I would expect pre-detonation to be an issue on pump gas. This means you will have to use race gas. I don't know anyone that has a thinner gasket that isn't using race gas, put it that way. There isn't much to gain from it either. It is only good for about 7-10 HP. with race gas. It will be closer to 3-5 HP with pump gas. So the trouble of doing and possible costs are not really worth it. Another thing to consider is that those mods combined put you motor into what is known as a " Built State ", which means one thing. LIMITED LIFE SPAN. You take an engine that could do anything from 30k - 50k miles of trouble free service to somewhere around 5k - 10k of service. Doing the large number of power enhancing options decreases engine life exponentially. The more power you create, the less engine life you get. For some people with " Built engines " , 1 season of racing is all they get. The engine is on borrowed time after that. 1 season is only one year or 8-10 races and about the same number of practices or track days. the smaller 600 cc engines fair better than the 1000 cc's, but not too much better.

This is why I say that unless you are racing for first place in a race club, it's not worth the cost. If you are just doing it for fun and track days, all your gonna do is spend a lot of money and you still may not be the fastest guy around. When you get to about 5-8 sec. off of the lap record, then it may be time to consider the power ups. You should be able to get to about 5 seconds off of the best lap times with a nearly stock machine. I am sitting really close to about 8 seconds off of the normal fastest lap at any track I go to and I have just the basic bolt ons with stock suspension. The power of the engine is costly and not worth it unless you are going for a first place. That is my thought anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 03 r6 and a Superduke 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke geis View Post
You may be lucky and not need an ECU with the PCIII. Depends on the quality of your tuner? I can tell you that people that run the 05 TB's on an anything other than an 05 bike have issues with fueling and ride-ability. As for the slide stops I highly suggest giving up on those. I had them and even had the bike tuned with them and the tuner could not get the bike to run right. I have talked with others that have had the same issue. It does make the throttle snappier, but if you goose the throttle hard and fast the bike will bog. I had nothing but issues with them. Not only that they are not legal in many race classes for supersport.

As for the gasket, hell yeah it makes a difference. It doesn't seem like much, but the bike is in a high state of tune already. If you go with a thinner gasket and an ignition advancer of any sort I would expect pre-detonation to be an issue on pump gas. This means you will have to use race gas. I don't know anyone that has a thinner gasket that isn't using race gas, put it that way. There isn't much to gain from it either. It is only good for about 7-10 HP. with race gas. It will be closer to 3-5 HP with pump gas. So the trouble of doing and possible costs are not really worth it. Another thing to consider is that those mods combined put you motor into what is known as a " Built State ", which means one thing. LIMITED LIFE SPAN. You take an engine that could do anything from 30k - 50k miles of trouble free service to somewhere around 5k - 10k of service. Doing the large number of power enhancing options decreases engine life exponentially. The more power you create, the less engine life you get. For some people with " Built engines " , 1 season of racing is all they get. The engine is on borrowed time after that. 1 season is only one year or 8-10 races and about the same number of practices or track days. the smaller 600 cc engines fair better than the 1000 cc's, but not too much better.

This is why I say that unless you are racing for first place in a race club, it's not worth the cost. If you are just doing it for fun and track days, all your gonna do is spend a lot of money and you still may not be the fastest guy around. When you get to about 5-8 sec. off of the lap record, then it may be time to consider the power ups. You should be able to get to about 5 seconds off of the best lap times with a nearly stock machine. I am sitting really close to about 8 seconds off of the normal fastest lap at any track I go to and I have just the basic bolt ons with stock suspension. The power of the engine is costly and not worth it unless you are going for a first place. That is my thought anyway.
hey how did you mount your go pro there? thats badass! if you have a video link I would prefer that but just telling me works also. thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
crashing aint so bad

The Go Pro come with stick on mounts. I used one of them on my wind screen. I then use one of the several camera mount adapters and aim it. I also use the suction cup on my upper fairing to get a rider facing cockpit view like this:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and the forward facing view looks like this:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

there you have it.......

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM

Bike: 03 R6

i'm going to have do diss agree with luke on all the intake stuff. except using the 05 throttle bodies. the tune in the computer is different for it. the pc3 might be able to compensate. but you will need the intake runners too. they don't fit in the 03 and 04.

but as far as getting more power, it works. my buddy's 04 has all that done to it and it's way faster than mine. after 100 he pulls at least 8 bike lengths on me.

and it has way more mid range than mine. his pulls in 5th like mine does in 3rd.

his has it all
velocity stacks
slide stops
ignition advancer
bmc filter

his bike doesn't run funny at all. in fact it has one of the smoothest idles on a bike i've seen
with slide stops you have to use the supplied regulator piece they come with and use the power commander to tune it. those 2 things are a must.

one more thing you can do that has been shown to add a good amount of power is send your injectors to factory pro and they'll send you flow matched injectors. they quarantee at least a 5 hp increase.
it's about $180

Last edited by blue03r6; 01-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
ttc
My R6 eats me.

I have the complete 05 tb including the fuel rail. According to graves the 05 with it's higher pressure regulator doesn't need anything done to the fuel side. Also I Have the 05 intake boots and boots on the airbox. I wonder what the difference in the stock maps for the 05 and 3/4 are. Has anyone seen dumps of stock ecu's. I wish I could get the injectors flow benches but the money is an issue as a dyno tune will run 400 where I am.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Bike: 03 R6

that makes me wonder if the fuel pumps are also different.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
ttc
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6 View Post
that makes me wonder if the fuel pumps are also different.
Na pump not matter... I didn't even bother checking the parts fiche but I bet they the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in