Spray painting track fairings - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6
Spray painting track fairings

What brand/type of spray paint do you guys use for your track fairings. Do you just hit up the local Home Depot or Lowe's and use whatever they sell or is there a specific brand/type that would be better suited for the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:41 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: Spray painting track fairings

If you want factory colors, hit colorrite (or colorite, not sure) otherwise just hit a hardware store...

Talk to ASTEBBS or Dieselboy or Agg2001-- they have/are doing track fairing rattle-can jobs that look pretty sweet.

EDIT: Or just post this thread in General Discussions. Lots of guys have painted track fairings around here (just not me.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

wait till i'm done with stebby's new paint. gonna be BAWLAH!

edit: i buy the cheapest white and black i can find, and then whatever color i want. :|

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Valspar from lowes and patience, lots of patience.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Waiting for remission...

Bike: '04 ZX-10R
Send a message via Yahoo to Ghost R6

I went and got Dupli Color from the local Autozone to do my bike. You can use the best paint in the universe but if you don't put in the time to prep the fairings it's gonna look like shit in the end.

Quote:
Nothing in any showroom punts you forward with such pure, concentrated, brute force. Its predatory silhouette alone makes small children, domestic pets and impressionable girls hyperventilate. If it lived next door, the ZX-10R would bet heavily on the Oakland Raiders. It would own an overwrought Rottweiler named Cujo and play all 11 Metallica albums every weekend—with the dial cranked up to 11. Your mother wouldn't approve. Your black-sheep uncle doing time for armed robbery would advise against it.

'90 CBR600F: Gone
'99 GSX-R600: Sold
'05 GS500F: Re-gifted
'06 R6: Sold
'04 ZX-10R: Current
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I have patience, so hopefully it will translate into something that looks decent.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 PM
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost R6 View Post
I went and got Dupli Color from the local Autozone to do my bike. You can use the best paint in the universe but if you don't put in the time to prep the fairings it's gonna look like shit in the end.
Most fairings come primed already, I just wiped mine down with IPA and painted.

NESBA A | CCS #686
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
B4B

Bike: 2007 R6 (Race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
Valspar from lowes and patience, lots of patience.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

p.s. Mine are almost completed. A little touch up tonight and pinstripe tomorrow. I'll post up a build thread some time this week and you'll see what can be done with just rattle can. Colin's looks
but mine might take the cake

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Do you guys usually leave your tank the original color as well, or just paint over it also? I don't want to ruin the original paint on my tank, but seems like I can't find matching colors without spending a good amount on ColorRite products.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM
B4B

Bike: 2007 R6 (Race)

we've all just left our tank that color.....its a bitch painting the tank as well if you do it by yourself. Here's what my old scheme used to look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0487.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	55678   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	55679  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in