riding school/track day - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

riding school/track day

hello everybody i was having a conversation with a few riding buddies of mine and i was wondering how soon is to soon to go to a riding school for a new rider? a good friend of mines brother wants to go to a riding school and hes only been riding for a 2-3months do you think that its to soon? oh one last thing he has gone through his msf course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles
Re: riding school/track day

Too soon. At least six months of good street riding. It's not the ability of the rider, it's the awareness of the bike he's on. Beginning riders tend to get anxious and panic on the track. They need to be comfortable with everything the bike does. There's not a whole lot of time to react out on the track- much like the street- so being comfortable and used to the bike is the most important thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Speedy Claxton

Bike: '07 R6
Send a message via AIM to aleithauser

+1

basic mechanics need to become second nature before you bring in track riding. if you still have to think about shifting and how to do it, ect.. instead of it just happening, its definitely too soon to go 100+ at the track.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

thats what i was thinking. in nyc thats about one riding season for us. he has good intension but i was trying to advise him to get use to the bike and how fast things happen then try a track day. what do you think about him going to a riding school like keith code?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

I don't think it would be that bad for him to go to a track day already, but it depends. As long as he isn't at a point where he is stalling the bike from a stand still (meaning he has no clutch/throttle control) or not shifting properly. I have seen someone with years on the street try and go on track and I don't think they even reached highway speeds. So you can be dangerous with little or plenty of street riding.

You mention he is new to riding, but that doesn't mean he can't pick it up quickly or will be a danger.

Edit: He might even feel more comfortable on a track in a somewhat controlled environment and will advance his learning.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

drago010 he was looking for more of a school like keith code or something like that,not a full on track day. i think something like that can be good for him to learn with but a full on track day im not sure.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 08 R6

I have never been to a school like keith's code, but I would think it would be easier at a track day. You can go at your own pace and get help from control riders if need be. From my understanding, a school like keith's code is geared more towards those who have been on track at least a few times.

I feel like a school would be used to work on specific techniques to get faster, whereas a track day just allows you to get comfortable on your bike and being on track and negotiating turns without the specific focus on getting FASTER (at least for your first time out).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Can he ride the bike? If he can shift, turn, brake, etc.. he would improve by taking a school. He's not gonna come out of Kieth Code's school dragging knee, but he could go. Their information says you must know how to ride. It doesn't say you need to be fast, etc..

I would suggest he goto a trackday. I did my first one with absolutecycle. They will hold your hand if need be. There were first timers there who were hopeless. Like 30 MPH in the turns, just slow. One kid was under 17 no license, first time on a street bike. You just need to know how to ride to go. They will help him huge amounts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

Last edited by ChiefSmokeDawg; 02-14-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: their, not there.. LOL
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 05 R6, 06 R1, 06 KTM 250

At this point he may benefit more from a motorcycle safety course. Has he done trackdays at all? California superbike school requires that students have done trackdays. It's in their rules.

I wouldn't recommend trackdays to a newbie either. It is important to have a good handle on the bike before going to the track. A complete newbie would be a hazard to himself and everybody alse on the track.

Last edited by xTomKx; 03-05-2011 at 07:30 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTolles View Post
Too soon. At least six months of good street riding. It's not the ability of the rider, it's the awareness of the bike he's on. Beginning riders tend to get anxious and panic on the track. They need to be comfortable with everything the bike does. There's not a whole lot of time to react out on the track- much like the street- so being comfortable and used to the bike is the most important thing.
This
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in