Low speed turning issues - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 R6
Low speed turning issues

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, especially anyone that had similar issues when moving to a sports bike.

Iíve had my 2008 R6 for about 3 months now and put just over 2000km on it in that time (commuting and hitting the twisties... havenít been to a track yet). Prior to that, Iíd been riding a Honda CB250 daily for around 18 months. What Iím really struggling with on the R6 is low speed turns Ė particularly tight U-turns and hairpins on very slow sections of the mountain twisties. I feel quite confident on it otherwise and think my technique, (at least for the road) is good.

The way our license system works here in Australia means that the easiest way to get your license is to do a safety course. The initial course gives you a power restricted license, so you have to redo the safety course on a bigger bike to be licensed for anything decent. Iíve done that course twice, first on a CB250 and the second time on a BMW G650 X Country. The course contains some technique stuff in a car park before you hit the road and one of those techniques is to do a series of tight figure-8s in a set time, without going outside the marked lines or putting your foot down. I did this on both the bikes mentioned above without any issues and felt quite confident. I had the pegs scrapping on the CB250. It was tight, so technique was to use clutch + throttle in first gear, with a little rear brake as needed.

As Iíve been struggling with the U-turns on the R6, i went to an empty car park last night to practice. I discovered that I canít even come close to doing tight figure-8s on my R6, even after a bit of screwing around. I know part of it is psychological, i really donít want to risk dropping my R6, but part of it Iím sure is the bike... particularly: 1) the bars are hard to get to full lock without the tank getting in the way of my arms 2) while my throttle doesnít have a huge amount of dead zone or anything, it definitely does have a very on/off action right at the point it rolls on 3) iím not sure if itís the Pazzo shorty levers, but the friction point of the clutch seems hard to maintain right where I want it while doing the figure-8s.

Itís driving me crazy... Any advice would be more than welcome. (I did notice a couple of old threads in the forum about people struggling with the R6 at low speed, but I thought it was still worthwhile asking this again)

Thanks,
Cam

2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 | GYTR slip on | Pazzo shorty levers | LED brake light | Oggy knobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm a generalist

Bike: Black Bitch
Re: Low speed turning issues

That's because this biatch is made to fly not crawl..........

But seriously, the ergos on this bike are not set up for low speed maneuvers. I tried the DMV test on this bike and was like eff that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
^^^^Signature courtesy of the great one Twizzy.....featuring my beautiful wife
"Beautiful Wife, Great kids, beautiful home, fast bike, fast car........... now that I think about it....."I'm rich Bi%@#"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Calling me a woman after complaining that the r6 seat is too hard for your swollen pussy lips? You are using female logic.... This leads me to believe that you are, in fact, female. The next logical progression from this is tits or GTFO. If, in fact, you are genetically male, proceed to GTFO. Thanks.

Last edited by 06r6'n; 02-28-2011 at 02:49 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06r6'n View Post
That's because this biatch is made to fly not crawl..........

But seriously, the ergos on this bike are now set up for low speed maneuvers.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6

The r6 is just not designed for low speed manoeuvres. You can change it a little bit but doing -1 on the front sprocket. This will let you ride the bike in 1st gear and going around 15 mph without stalling the bike.

In short: keep doing the 20 point turns
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Bike: '03 Sliver R1'06 Raven R6

Here's what you need to do. Go back to your empty parking lot and set up some cones or red dixie cups. The trick is clutch friction zone and rear brake used together. Don't even touch the front brakes. As you are doing your turns pull the clutch in just enough to where it starts to engage, but not all the way. Use your rear break at the same time as you are going between the cones. You have to do these two things together. It will take some practice, so don't get frustrated. Remember, don't think about using the front brake.

Also, you don't want to look down at your front tire when doing this. You must keep your head up looking at the horizon. Looking down will only cause you to target fixate and you'll have to put your foot down. So, keep you head held up high as you do this. Again, it will take some time. Just keep at it...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
vroom vroom...

Bike: 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
Here's what you need to do. Go back to your empty parking lot and set up some cones or red dixie cups. The trick is clutch friction zone and rear brake used together. Don't even touch the front brakes. As you are doing your turns pull the clutch in just enough to where it starts to engage, but not all the way. Use your rear break at the same time as you are going between the cones. You have to do these two things together. It will take some practice, so don't get frustrated. Remember, don't think about using the front brake.

Also, you don't want to look down at your front tire when doing this. You must keep your head up looking at the horizon. Looking down will only cause you to target fixate and you'll have to put your foot down. So, keep you head held up high as you do this. Again, it will take some time. Just keep at it...
This sounds about right!

2009 Orange R6, Yellow Lamin-X, Hot Bodies Smoked Undertail, Hot Bodies Smoke Flush Mount Front Signals, Hot Bodies Smoked Double Radius Windscreen, Woodcraft Frame Sliders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: YZF-R6SPVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post

+1000 on don't use the front brake when going slow... Learned that the hard way once!

Racefit Growler Exhaust w/ Custom Midpipe
GYTR Air Filter
Flash-Tune w/ Custom Map
Drive Systems Sprockets (-1/+2)
D.I.D. ERV3 520 Gold Chain
Galfer HH Brake Pads
Galfer SS Brake lines
÷hlins Steering Damper
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 01 R6
Send a message via AIM to bluedemon01r6

That was my issue when i first got my bike was trying pass my DMV test with the R6. They made me do the cones, then a U-turn. i knocked out the cones, but when it came to the u-turn, i went outside the lines about 3 inches so i failed. Im gna barrow my boy's gs500f to take the test.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
faster than a turtle XP

Bike: 07 YZF-R6, 07 GSX-R 600
Send a message via Skype™ to YZF-202

i just don't do slow speed turns lol and its easier on the gsxr
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 02 R6 / 06 CBR F4I

i didnt find it too hard to do circles and figure 8s just gotta use the friction zone.. look through the turn and weight the outside peg a little worked pretty well for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in