Optimal body work - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2014 R6
Optimal body work

Anyone able to get the race fairings to work with the stock exhaust system? I want to get some body work for the track and these fit the budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 AM
2 B 1 ASK 1

Bike: 07R1(street) 09R6(track)
Send a message via AIM to BOAZ
Re: Optimal body work

Take a sander and trim (slightly oval shape) away at the back of the belly pan where the exhaust cat touchs. I've with Optimal Racing and FBW plastics.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Hmm.... I'll be getting Optimal soon and didn't know that was a problem...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I eat my R6

Yes it will hit. The cat on the r6 is huge. Btw I have a set of optimal for sale 2008+
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

I had the optimals and the whole bottom fairing can get cooked and then you end up with fiberglass bubbling. But then, the optimal stuff is junk IMO. Glad to be rid of that stuff.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 07 R6

for the price, dont really have much room to complain about them.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
2 B 1 ASK 1

Bike: 07R1(street) 09R6(track)
Send a message via AIM to BOAZ

You're going to see this with a lot of the race plastics. Like I mentioned, sanding or trimming the edge where the cat touches the belly pan and add some heat shielding material and you'll be fine. You could take a more expensive approach and just get an aftermarket, full exhaust system.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
I had the optimals and the whole bottom fairing can get cooked and then you end up with fiberglass bubbling. But then, the optimal stuff is junk IMO. Glad to be rid of that stuff.
Not for nothing man but have you even tried other brands? Ur the first and only person I hear actually having a complain about them besides the exhaust issue which happens on mostly all the brands. I have had crappy eBay ones and also armor bodies and in my opinion they are on par with armor bodies. Everybody that can't afford shark skins buys optimal. I have crashed 3 times on mine and one of them even flipped the bike and dented my tank and I'm still using the same fairings, NOT EVEN A HOLE ON THEM and I even broke my subframe and fairing stay. I guess I did get lucky, but still, I still have and use them and look good. I would definitely not call them junk. They fit nicely even on 600rr and they have that freaking tank cowl to match up too.

Last edited by krisnet55; 03-16-2011 at 08:33 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnet55 View Post
Not for nothing man but have you even tried other brands? Ur the first and only person I hear actually having a complain about them besides the exhaust issue which happens on mostly all the brands. I have had crappy eBay ones and also armor bodies and in my opinion they are on par with armor bodies. Everybody that can't afford shark skins buys optimal. I have crashed 3 times on mine and one of them even flipped the bike and dented my tank and I'm still using the same fairings, NOT EVEN A HOLE ON THEM and I even broke my subframe and fairing stay. I guess I did get lucky, but still, I still have and use them and look good. I would definitely not call them junk. They fit nicely even on 600rr and they have that freaking tank cowl to match up too.
I have had other brands, I currently own three sets from two other brands, both of which have held up and are dramatically stronger than the crappy optimals I got. The optimals were thin, flimsy, fit like absolute shit, espeically around the windscreen and came out of the box with a cracked upper they were not willing to replace. IMO, they were poor quality and had poor customer service to match. Put them next to the Catalyst Racing Composites Ive had on my Kawasaki for 4 years now, and you can see the difference in quality and fit. The CRC stuff came marked for drilling, and fit excellent. They havent cracked yet despite being dropped, taken on and off tons of times, and being subjected to rain, sun, and snow. The paint looks great still, even. CRC is (or was) top quality and the price was good when I bought them. Best of all, they didnt require a lot of finish work to look good and be ready for paint. They also fit my stock and race exhaust just fine. The bottom fairing has also been repaired a couple of times, as its a drag bike and scrapes the ground pretty much every time you turn or launch the bike, which in turn puts stress on the upper and all of the mounts....All of which are fine to this day, where as the mounts on my optimals had hairline cracks after two removals.

If you review the first attached pic, you can see them now, on the bike, 4 years after purchase.

I also have two sets of fairings my friend Joe Machado makes. He has the equipment and moulds his from stock bodywork, then modifies them for racing. The result is an extremely durable, solid, excellent fitting race glass. The final finish requires a little more work for paint, but nothing extreme, a comparable amount of sanding and filling to the optimals I got. They were not much more in price ($450/set) than the optimals, but fit MUCH better, and didnt require me to shim or trim them to keep them from rubbing the frame. They are thicker and much more solid as well. I have been very happy with them, and I got to help out a friend. The R6 model requires the removal of the cat, so you need a midpipe or a full system, but so does the optimal, and with these, its just a precaution, not a necessity, especially if you use heat reflective material on the inside. The 636 required minor trimming in the header area only for stock exhaust clearance, and no trimming with race exhaust. These also do not crack. As for crash durability, my friend Wyatt had a set on his gsxr that he crashed 5 times and they are still usable....and fit well.

In the other attached pic you can see both sets, one on my R6, the other on my other 636.

There is no room in my crowded garage for optimals....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	58116   Click image for larger version

Name:	donezo.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	58117   Click image for larger version

Name:	r6thill-alt01.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	58118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	58119  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
I have had other brands, I currently own three sets from two other brands, both of which have held up and are dramatically stronger than the crappy optimals I got. The optimals were thin, flimsy, fit like absolute shit, espeically around the windscreen and came out of the box with a cracked upper they were not willing to replace. IMO, they were poor quality and had poor customer service to match. Put them next to the Catalyst Racing Composites Ive had on my Kawasaki for 4 years now, and you can see the difference in quality and fit. The CRC stuff came marked for drilling, and fit excellent. They havent cracked yet despite being dropped, taken on and off tons of times, and being subjected to rain, sun, and snow. The paint looks great still, even. CRC is (or was) top quality and the price was good when I bought them. Best of all, they didnt require a lot of finish work to look good and be ready for paint. They also fit my stock and race exhaust just fine. The bottom fairing has also been repaired a couple of times, as its a drag bike and scrapes the ground pretty much every time you turn or launch the bike, which in turn puts stress on the upper and all of the mounts....All of which are fine to this day, where as the mounts on my optimals had hairline cracks after two removals.

If you review the first attached pic, you can see them now, on the bike, 4 years after purchase.

I also have two sets of fairings my friend Joe Machado makes. He has the equipment and moulds his from stock bodywork, then modifies them for racing. The result is an extremely durable, solid, excellent fitting race glass. The final finish requires a little more work for paint, but nothing extreme, a comparable amount of sanding and filling to the optimals I got. They were not much more in price ($450/set) than the optimals, but fit MUCH better, and didnt require me to shim or trim them to keep them from rubbing the frame. They are thicker and much more solid as well. I have been very happy with them, and I got to help out a friend. The R6 model requires the removal of the cat, so you need a midpipe or a full system, but so does the optimal, and with these, its just a precaution, not a necessity, especially if you use heat reflective material on the inside. The 636 required minor trimming in the header area only for stock exhaust clearance, and no trimming with race exhaust. These also do not crack. As for crash durability, my friend Wyatt had a set on his gsxr that he crashed 5 times and they are still usable....and fit well.

In the other attached pic you can see both sets, one on my R6, the other on my other 636.

There is no room in my crowded garage for optimals....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CRC are more then dbl the price and its quite obvious you being bias since ur friend makes body work.
I will give you that they rub on fairings, but fitment on optimal is perfect. You seem to describe race bodywork like ur gonna put it on a street. I personally dont give a rats ass that it rubs on the frame, its a freaking track bike man. If your really that picky and want an OEM fitment the get CRC, or shark skins, I agree. I dont know but maybe cause in drag racing you guys barely crash. There is a 33 page thread of WERA Racers using Optimal, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me. I rather save $300 on fairings that I will eventually crash and buy me some tires.....

And as far as crowded garage I have 8 in mine of which 4 are track bikes with optimal race fairings. Here was a GSXR I owned and my 2 R6 and a couple of friends bike, all optimal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	58120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	58121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	58122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	58123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	58124  

Last edited by krisnet55; 03-16-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in