advice for riding in pairs? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
^

Bike: 07 yzf r6
Question advice for riding in pairs?

I've been riding by myself for almost a year now but i have no idea how to ride in groups. One of my friends just bought a new bike and i don't know whether we should split lanes or not? We usually run staggered formation but at a red light should we be splitting or sharing the same lanes? Also, at a stop making turns who is supposed to go first? when making a left does the person on the left turn first? and for making a right, does the person on the right turn first? and what hand signals do you use while riding together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 track bike
Re: advice for riding in pairs?

all my riding so far till the 15th will b on the road, all 36,000 miles. i think it would be a good idea to have 1 person the leader n 1 person the fallower, if u guys r going out spiltting lanes u dont want both of u to be a leader n end up into each other on accident. the fastest person at the front, lol. staggered as much as possible is good, u dont want the person in front of u blocking your view. always look ahead of urself and even ahead of the other person your behind , u dont want to really fallow them, just stay behind them n ride your own.

id like to see what other people think and what they do when they ride with someone on the track?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrhsix View Post
all my riding so far till the 15th will b on the road, all 36,000 miles. i think it would be a good idea to have 1 person the leader n 1 person the fallower, if u guys r going out spiltting lanes u dont want both of u to be a leader n end up into each other on accident. the fastest person at the front, lol. staggered as much as possible is good, u dont want the person in front of u blocking your view. always look ahead of urself and even ahead of the other person your behind , u dont want to really fallow them, just stay behind them n ride your own.

id like to see what other people think and what they do when they ride with someone on the track?
follow... say it again follow

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM
^^^ Ginger here...

Bike: 2009 R6 (totaled)

Quote:
the fastest person at the front, lol.
I don't really agree with this. I was always told in 2-3 person rides, put the person with the least experience up front so they ride at their own pace. If you put the fastest up front, the person in the back feels pressure to keep up and ride out of their skill level.

In large groups, don’t EVER put an inexperienced rider in the middle of the pack. They are being pushed both forward and back and will have problems, especially riding out of their skill level.

As far as stopping goes, both pull up to next to each other at a stop. Someone mainly stop left and the other pulls up right. This helps old ladies without depth perception not hit you. When you start to move again, whoever is leading goes first.

When making a turn, the follower needs to make sure to leave themselves an out incase the leaders washes out to avoid hitting them.

Never ride next to someone at speed.

Always ride your own ride…It’s very hard to do sometimes when riding with friends.

Remember that you are working together as a team to minimize risk. If you cut a car off, the person can’t follow you. This means that when making lane changes and quick decisions, make sure you leave enough space and reaction time for the both of you.

This list could just go on and on. My advise is really only for the street, track is totally different. Just be smart about it and have fun. Try riding with another group and let them know you haven’t ridden it groups before, they will gladly teach you so you don’t wreck them. Maybe someone on here can take you around your town and show you the ropes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vivid Orange R6v
Pirelli Diablos, Smoked integrated tail light, Yana Shiki smoked flushies, Two Broís carbon M2 exhaust, CRG brake/clutch levers, Driven -1 front 525 sprocket, Woodcraft sliders, T-Rex spools, SpeedoHealer v4, fab'ed fender eliminator / LED lights.

Quote:
I was never a big fan of them, but I'm going to keep it on forever just to keep the haters hatin'

Last edited by caszboy; 03-28-2011 at 04:03 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Like everyone said, ride your own ride. Don't feel pressured. If you're too nervous, continue to ride solo for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
^

Bike: 07 yzf r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by caszboy View Post
I don't really agree with this. I was always told in 2-3 person rides, put the person with the least experience up front so they ride at their own pace. If you put the fastest up front, the person in the back feels pressure to keep up and ride out of their skill level.

In large groups, donít EVER put an inexperienced rider in the middle of the pack. They are being pushed both forward and back and will have problems, especially riding out of their skill level.

As far as stopping goes, both pull up to next to each other at a stop. Someone mainly stop left and the other pulls up right. This helps old ladies without depth perception not hit you. When you start to move again, whoever is leading goes first.

When making a turn, the follower needs to make sure to leave themselves an out incase the leaders washes out to avoid hitting them.

Always ride your own rideÖItís very hard to do sometimes when riding with friends.

Remember that you are working together as a team to minimize risk. If you cut a car off, the person canít follow you. This means that when making lane changes and quick decisions, make sure you leave enough space and reaction time for the both of you.

This list could just go on and on. My advise is really only for the street, track is totally different. Just be smart about it and have fun. Try riding with another group and let them know you havenít ridden it groups before, they will gladly teach you so you donít wreck them. Maybe someone on here can take you around your town and show you the ropes.
i was thinking the same thing. good opinions. the first time i rode with a buddy i waited for him on the side of the on ramp. not safe but i wanted to wait because it was his first freeway run.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Live Love burn Die.

Bike: 09 R6

the leader must ride a whoolie at all times, even while turning. the "fallower" must ride in a t shirt and shorts.

If you love your bike.. let it go.. if it comes back.. you probably high-sided.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by caszboy View Post

In large groups, don’t EVER put an inexperienced rider in the middle of the pack. They are being pushed both forward and back and will have problems, especially riding out of their skill level.

Always ride your own ride…It’s very hard to do sometimes when riding with friends.

Remember that you are working together as a team to minimize risk. If you cut a car off, the person can’t follow you. This means that when making lane changes and quick decisions, make sure you leave enough space and reaction time for the both of you.

This list could just go on and on. My advise is really only for the street, track is totally different. Just be smart about it and have fun. Try riding with another group and let them know you haven’t ridden it groups before, they will gladly teach you so you don’t wreck them. Maybe someone on here can take you around your town and show you the ropes.
+1..for the most part..if someone in our group is new, we keep them towards the middle and put the skilled guys in the front and back of the group. We like keeping the new riders out of the back of the group tho so if they were to crash, panic, whatever, theres another rider/riders there to aid.

Give everyone space...new riders, seasoned riders..it doesnt matter...big group rides are a diaster waiting to happen because no one ever gives people enough space.

Buy/Sell your parts:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 track bike

he did ask for advice for riding in pairs, not in a group, so why would u want the new guy in front of u? i rather have the better rider in the front then the new guy in front messing up the flow.
if someone feels pressured to ride faster, then they shouldnt be riding, u have to ride your own pace or the person leading should know they got a slower rider behind them and b a good leader and slow down a little.
when i first started riding it took me a few weeks to get on the freeway, and when i got on the freeway i went by myself so that i wouldnt have to worry about being behind someone. once on the freeway i found it was easier then riding around town, but i did take it easy and went at my own pace n went when i thought i was ready, not when someone else told me to get on it

Last edited by arrhsix; 03-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
he did ask for advice for riding in pairs, not in a group, so why would u want the new guy in front of u? i rather have the better rider in the front then the new guy in front messing up the flow.
You really don't want that. If the new guy makes a mistake, you want it to be in front of you, where you can do something about it.

You don't want the new guy behind you, trying to catch up, getting target fixation on your rear wheel, failing to turn in at the right time, failing to get on the brakes soon enough, etc., etc. It much safer to have the experienced person ride behind. If the new guy messes up, the experienced rider will be able to see it and react appropriately. The other way around is a recipe for disaster.

If it's literally just a pair of guys, let the new guy lead the first run, then the next time through if the new guy is feeling comfortable with the route and he's someone you trust, I'd feel ok switching it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in