First CMRA Race, Thanks and Pics! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
First CMRA Race, Thanks and Pics!

So I'd like to take the time and do a small write up on my first race weekend.

Friday - Novice Practice Group
Friday starts and I am seemingly alone with most of the people there I didnt know. I start off slow for the first couple sessions. I pushed and pushed trying to see a 1:53 but the best I could do was 1:55.8. Tire was starting to look a little thin so I decided to go ahead and get new rubber for the Sunday races.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunday - Practice Sessions
Tension is definitely starting to build. I become a little nervous and shaky, wondering how well I am going to place. The first session I take it easy so I can scrub in the new SC1 that SCRC put on. Second session out we go out and i start turning some seemingly faster laps when the session gets red flagged. I come in thinking practice is done so i put the bike on the warmers. They call us back out and by time i hit the track I got one or two more laps in. Last practice, I just go out and try and calm myself.

Race #3 SSB NV
I go for the warmup lap and slowly coast through hot pit. I see Thomas standing on the left at my row to help me with my grid position, 11-L. I breathe deep trying to relieve any nervousness so i could just focus on getting to the front pack and not crashing. First wave takes off. I grab half throttle. Green flag is up and I take off. YES! I was in the front of the second wave before turn 1. I start to feel the front end push a little and i know its the front tire being cold so i pay no attention and keep pushing. Pass after pass I make my way up to 7th place with no one in sight at the time. I hold my line for the remaining laps and get a great finish considering my start position

Race #6 SSC NV
Pretty much felt like Race #3 except I got meatballed for a jumpstart, didnt see it, kept going, and got penalized a lap so I ended up 43rd even though I believe I was 6th or 7th.

Race #7 SSA EX/NV
Uh oh, rolling with the liter bikes on the fastest track in Texas. This should be fun. I get a decent start, dicing through the pack making a few passes into turn one. I pass another on the brakes into 3 and twist the throttle. oops tire is slipping. Being a Prov Nov, last thing I wanted to do was crash, so i pretty much gave up at turn 6. I was putting around for a few seconds and thought, I bet the tire just cooled down from no warm up lap. Sure enough, I grab a fist full and she sticks. I put my head down and start making my way back through the guys that re-passed me. I see Guillermo in front of me and another just in front of him. two laps left i push. I catch up at the last half of the last lap. I am thinking how to set up Guillermo for the pass. So i decide to get him on the brakes into 13/14/15. I made it. Up to 6th. i crack the throttle coming onto the front straight and as i see the line, I see Guillermo's R1 barely nose me at the checker. I was happy and learned to take the low line on the last lap :facepalm:

Race #18 SBC NV
Final Race. Im loose. I start in row 7 with no wave start this time. No excuses for me not to be up close to the front. Take off, I go from 16th to 5th before turn 1 out of pit road. I think, YES! Ive got this. I know two of the guys in front of me I can pass. Get those two and try to hang onto 1st and 2nd. They put a little distance on me and I try my best to hold on to Donny Baker. He ends up tucking the front going into the chicane on lap 1. OMG!
mg: Im in 2nd place!!! I cant believe it. I just try and keep myself composed and just try not to crash. Lap 3, going into turn 3, here comes Jon Krez. Oh hell no am I gonna let another Prov Nov beat me so I latch on. he puts some distance on me and I reel it right back in. I could tell where his weak points were (as I am sure he knew mine) so I had to decided where to set up for a pass. The chicane is where I had made some great passes and I was seemingly faster than most of the other Novices there. He blows turn 4 and runs wide so I try and get up under him, but I chickened out and let off the gas for fear of hitting him. So i keep up keep up... I am right on his tail going into the horseshoe. Now i play the waiting game, he takes a slower line through the chicane as I expected and I get a good drive coming onto the straight. I tuck in behind him and use his draft to slingshot me back into second place for turn one. I pushed and pushed. One lap left. I keep pushing. here comes the final turn. I stay low because there was no way I was gonna lose a race to the checker again! And BOOM! My first race weekend and I take home second place.

All in all I had a blast and I cant WAIT to go to ECR next month!

Thanks to:
Thomas Delaney - Could NOT have done it without you man!
P-1 Racing
SCRC
My Family
WFORiders.com
Kirk, Dirk, Blake, AJ, Jimmy, Jose, Brandt, Will, Eddie T
Yamaha
Pirelli
CMRA
Ridesmart Motorcycle School
and last but not least, Hart Photography for the kick ass photos!!!

All Photos:

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
EMT/FF/Rider

Bike: '00 R6, '03 Track R6
Re: First CMRA Race, Thanks and Pics!

Nice dude, sounds like a blast. I'm upset I never got to bring my 6 down to Texas. Would have been a completely different college experience being able to ride with people on the forum and do track days with WFO. Grats on 2nd

Current - Two Brothers Exhaust, Smoked Windscreen & Flushmounts, Driven 520 Conversion (Red Chain/Black Sprockets), FDB Black Shorty Levers, 3k/6k HID, 50th GP Anniversary Fairings, Factory Pro Jet Stage 1, Stomp Grip, Galfer Brake Lines (Red), Targa Cowl
Future - GPR Steering Damp, '02 Tail Light Conversion, Etc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Bluer Than You!

Thanks... and I'll tell you something. All the tracks in Texas suffer from bad asphalt (a lot of bumps, seepage, grooves, patch work) and it will definitely make you a better rider and teach you how to control your bike in bad/sticky situations!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
You see me trollin'

Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6

Great write up! Sounds like good times.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
Thomas Jefferson

Bandrews
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKBLU View Post
Thanks... and I'll tell you something. All the tracks in Texas suffer from bad asphalt (a lot of bumps, seepage, grooves, patch work) and it will definitely make you a better rider and teach you how to control your bike in bad/sticky situations!
I noticed that in the videos man. The track has tar snakes everywhere and looks pretty bumpy! You were passing people left and right! VERY badass!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

thomas delaney = thomass on here, just fyi.

and thanks to agg racing, you could check your pressures and have type 4 lines.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I can ban you

Bike: 2013 GRB STi
Send a message via AIM to Mario J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post

Shameless plug Justin

I <3

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Bluer Than You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post

And IRC warmers to keep my tires toasty

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Yoga Pants Connoisseur

Bike: Kobe XI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in