Will I pass tech with an iPhone mounted to my clip-on? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Will I pass tech with an iPhone mounted to my clip-on?

Pretty much what the title says. I want to run a trackday with my iPhone mounted on my right clip-on via RAM mount.

I'm going to Fontana this weekend. I also found a lap timer app for my iPhone - Harry's Lap Timer. The built-in GPS isn't great, but I'd like to see how bad it is before I potentially invest in an external GPS to improve the accuracy, or ditch the idea completely. You get a transponder at Auto Club, so I'll have something to compare it to.

Anyone know if I'll get shit during tech inspection?

This is the mount:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It screws into the clamp that holds the brake reservoir onto the right clip-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330
Re: Will I pass tech with an iPhone mounted to my clip-on?

Just dont have it on there when you go to tech...the Track Orgs I have ran with didn't Tech my bike EACH time i go out, They do it once in the morning, and after a crash....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs32 View Post
Just dont have it on there when you go to tech...the Track Orgs I have ran with didn't Tech my bike EACH time i go out, They do it once in the morning, and after a crash....
Well, yeah, I could always take that approach.
I'd rather do it on the up & up though, and not run the risk of getting black flagged in the middle of a good session cause some corner worker spots it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Most lap timers are held on with velcro, and Go Pros are allowed out there too...So Why not that
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Yeah, that's a good point that didn't really cross my mind. I just got it bolted it up to the bike and it looked kind of weird and clumsy looking - but probably no more than a GoPro mounted on the tank. It's easy enough to take off if it's a problem. We'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Make noise.

Bike: The kind with pedals...

I agree with Tommy, just don't have it on when you go to tech, and you should be fine.

RESPECT Jason Jones
2/23/87 - 11/4/11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drawing by me, sig by GIJoe007.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:29 AM
ttd
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

As a trackday organizer, here's another point of view.

After having about 10 cameras/etc fall off over the years, we are now requiring all cameras and stuff to pass tech. We're going to give out "camera" stickers and if you don't have a sticker and try to roll out with a camera ... you'll be sent back and miss your session.

We are riding at 100+ mph and having things falling off bikes is very dangerous... and unnecessarily adds more risk to an already risky sport.

For us, the item the OP put up would pass as long as things had a backup tether like safety wire or zip ties. If something is bolted, that is fine... but any velcro, suction cups, etc needs a HARD tether backup.

My recommendation is to do this... regardless of whether or not your trackday org requires it.

Tony
Ride the Track!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM
B4B

Bike: my bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post

After having about 10 cameras/etc fall off over the years, we are now requiring all cameras and stuff to pass tech. We're going to give out "camera" stickers and if you don't have a sticker and try to roll out with a camera ... you'll be sent back and miss your session.

We are riding at 100+ mph and having things falling off bikes is very dangerous... and unnecessarily adds more risk to an already risky sport.

For us, the item the OP put up would pass as long as things had a backup tether like safety wire or zip ties. If something is bolted, that is fine... but any velcro, suction cups, etc needs a HARD tether backup.

My recommendation is to do this... regardless of whether or not your trackday org requires it.
Good point!

RIP Jason

R.I.P David

R.I.P Josh
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM
She wants me to twist it!

Bike: ^ That one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post

Ive got a contour HD and its got the double sided tape sticky back mounts. Ive got one on my helmet and I want to put a few on my the fairings. Does the sticky tape work fine by itself? Its got a quick release string/clip from the camera to the base plate but the base plate is only held on with sticky tape. Would I have to drill holes through the base plate and bolt it to my fairing too.

Sorry not trying to hyjack the thread But I saw it as a similar question.
Thanks.

2002 R6, Candy Red, Tinted Double Bubble, Euro Headlights, Krypton 5K HID's, Tinted Integrated Tail, Level One Racing Exhaust, -1/+2, SpeedoDRD FDB Shorty levers. Frame Sliders, Ect. Ect.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Theturtle7023

Bike: 2007 R6S, 2007 R6R

That thing looks pretty awesome. How does it ride? Does it get in the way of anything or hit the windscreen? It looks pretty tall.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in