Getting bikes to the track - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6 - Raven
Question Getting bikes to the track

My friends and I signed up for the Team ProMotion weekend at NJMP June 18-19. There are 5 of us though, and only 1 pickup truck that can only fit 1 bike in the back. Does anyone have any advice on a temporary solution to getting all of the bikes to the track?

I am considering renting a pickup with a hitch from Enterprise, then picking up 2 Uhaul trailers with the pickups. Put 2 bikes in each trailer, and 1 bike in the bed of the rental truck. However, I have to go figure out what all the hitch ratings are to see if they can handle the weight.

Another option is to get a couple cargo vans. However, I am not sure how many bikes I could get into one. Also the last time I saw a cargo van at Enterprise the inside was stripped, so there was no way of tying the bike(s) to anything.

We are about 2.5 hours from the track, so driving back and forth is not an option. 1 or 2 of us may just have to ride the bikes there and back, but I need to be able to tow at least 2 just in case of a crash, and also for all of our gear.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Raven
Re: Getting bikes to the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by three3eye View Post
My friends and I signed up for the Team ProMotion weekend at NJMP June 18-19. There are 5 of us though, and only 1 pickup truck that can only fit 1 bike in the back. Does anyone have any advice on a temporary solution to getting all of the bikes to the track?

I am considering renting a pickup with a hitch from Enterprise, then picking up 2 Uhaul trailers with the pickups. Put 2 bikes in each trailer, and 1 bike in the bed of the rental truck. However, I have to go figure out what all the hitch ratings are to see if they can handle the weight.

Another option is to get a couple cargo vans. However, I am not sure how many bikes I could get into one. Also the last time I saw a cargo van at Enterprise the inside was stripped, so there was no way of tying the bike(s) to anything.

We are about 2.5 hours from the track, so driving back and forth is not an option. 1 or 2 of us may just have to ride the bikes there and back, but I need to be able to tow at least 2 just in case of a crash, and also for all of our gear.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If you have a "truck" you probably have a class 3 hitch... so your truck can town around 5,000 LB... uhaul trailer is 1,000lb.... 3 bikes at 500lb each bike + 200lb for gear... 3 people @ 200lb each = 600lb thats 3,300lb. (roughly)

Do you have ramps for your pick up truck?

Riding home after a track day suuuuuuucks! Just an fyi. You'll be very tired.

I own a 4runner, I pulled some big trailers with it & 2-3 bikes inside of it.
Also when I had a Subaru legacy & towed 2 bikes with it easily.

Have fun, I'll probably be there too.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

I do have ramps. I used them when I went to the track on my own and was just loading a single bike into a pickup.

I have also rode to and from a track day on the bike. It was quite a long day, and that track was only about an hour away (Poconos).

The truck isn't mine, and I am waiting to hear back from the owner on what the hitch is. Hoping for class 3.

Thx.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

If you go the cargo van route, you should be able to tie down to the seat brackets.

Might also be possible to get 2 bikes in the back of the pick-up if you face them opposite ways. I saw pictures on the forum somewhere of somebody doing that with a Tacoma-sized truck.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 R6 Orange
Send a message via MSN to budboarder

Uhaul has a trailer that should fit 4 bikes no problem. Or the large moving truck you can rent would probly fit like 6 bikes inside. Im pretty sure they have tie downs pre mounted inside as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DDM 5k HIDs,
Shogun Sliders,
Targa half cover,
FP Racing Levers,
Proton Flushies,
PUIG tinted double bubble,
K&N Air Filter,
Home made fender elim.,
Driven D3 grips,
Spiegel brake lines,
Were getting there.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2004 R6

I'd first suggest posting up on the TPM forum and see if anyone is coming through your area to get down to those track dates. With the way gas is, if anyone is hauling down a large trailer/toy-hauler I'm sure they'd love to give help out a rider in exchange for some gas $$$.

As far as a van you can get two bikes in there but you need to pack very tight...the trucks/double bike U-haul trailers may be your best bet in the end though.

Myself and my friends haven't planned that far in advance yet for TPM trackdays, but it's possible we may do that weekend and some ppl will come down from the Somerset area with space... don't think that's too far from you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
fok mi! fok u!

Bike: '08 & '06 Yamaha R6

Rent a Uhaul truck. fit 6 bikes, minibar, and a disco stage in the big truck.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

Not that I can help with hauling, but I will be down there those dates if you want to meet up with other people and hang. We usually have quite a big group down there( Scriptor from above included) so dont hesitate to PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

the problem with the Uhaul trucks is that they charge $1.99 per mile plus $20 per day. I am looking at almost 300 miles round trip, which means about $660 not including gas!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Even split 5 or 6 ways that's pretty hefty. I am hoping that's not my only option.

Schuber good idea on the TPM forum, i forgot they had one.

mx3TT will PM u when the dates get closer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

ok... u dont have a unlimited milage plan for in town? tell them your moving... we have a 65.00 a day unlimited milage in town. u just replace the fuel. to where it was when u got it.. it cost more to tell them u are taking it out of town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in