Does anybody NOT get sore from doing track days? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Does anybody NOT get sore from doing track days?

I had an absolutely awesome day at Streets of Willow yesterday - felt really good on the bike and was pushing hard (for me) and was out there for all but one session - but holy hell am I beat up today. Quads, hips, shoulders, lower back, neck, calves, forearms all have some amount of soreness. I can't imagine signing up for a whole weekend and having to do another full day the way I feel today.

I'm pretty new to the track riding thing. This was my 5th track day, but my first one was the end of this February, all with varying levels of next-day soreness. Today is definitely the worst. I exercise a decent amount, but I'm not super disciplined about it.

Is my sore ass par for the course, or am I in terrible shape and need to start hitting the gym a few more times a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I gotta ride!

Bike: 05 R6 Raven
Re: Does anybody NOT get sore from doing track days?

I did 2 days at Willow 2.5, and a 1 day last year. Being sore is a matter of using muscles your not used to using.... If you ride tense, your gonna be hurtting even more. Try to relax a little more on the bike. I ride dirt as well as wakeboard and being sore is just a part of it.... I was taught a while ago, just relax and ride. Hard to do when your banging gears and dragging knees but it does help.

05 R6 Raven
520 -1+3 conversion
gpr
gytr shorty
power comander
sliders
speedo healer
graves block off plates
woodcraft case cover

had led's, flush mounts, fender elimator, and yosh trs but stripped for the track now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM
My R6 eats me.

work the quads, man. major component of my and many AMA + SBK + GP riders' workout includes either stationary or road-biking. If you have a road bike, bring it to the track and ride it around to warm up/cool down from a session. Also, bananas & plenty of water will help you stay loose should you run a double-header.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
TRAVELER

Bike: '07 "50th Anniversary" R6

As an "older" guy, I found that core strength will get you a long ways. Streets isn't as bad as the Radical Loop at SMMR in Pahrump, NV. Get some decent cardio but get your core strong and you'll find that the soreness will not be as bad.

I am a gym rat and a certified personal trainer for 24HR Fitness and the Navy. I spend 5-6 days a week in the gym ranging from 1.5-3 hours at a time. Thirty minutes of that (two days on and then one day off) will be spent on core. At first, if you're not in good shape in your mid section, it's going to SUCK.

Hope this helps.

Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Bluer Than You!

Bike: 09 R6R Street,09 R6R Race
Send a message via AIM to SIKBLU
I'm rarely sore now even after a double day. Drink plenty of water and gatorade. I dont stretch or workout beforehand and I'm not sore. It's like a workout in itself. I'm on the track damn near every weekend I am home. I think I have 12 trackdays so far this year. I may just be used to the "workout" so it's not sore but it feels like a mild-medium workout.

Stretch, bananas, gatorade, and water. You should be fine and once you get more time out there you won't be sore!

2009 Yamaha Blue R6 - Race Bike

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
I had an absolutely awesome day at Streets of Willow yesterday - felt really good on the bike and was pushing hard (for me) and was out there for all but one session - but holy hell am I beat up today. Quads, hips, shoulders, lower back, neck, calves, forearms all have some amount of soreness. I can't imagine signing up for a whole weekend and having to do another full day the way I feel today.

I'm pretty new to the track riding thing. This was my 5th track day, but my first one was the end of this February, all with varying levels of next-day soreness. Today is definitely the worst. I exercise a decent amount, but I'm not super disciplined about it.

Is my sore ass par for the course, or am I in terrible shape and need to start hitting the gym a few more times a week?
I was really sore after my first couple track days. I eventually figured out it was mainly because I was hanging on to the bike for dear life the whole time. I was using my arms on the bars for support under braking and my leg on the inside peg to hang off. I was so sore the next day I could barely walk up stairs. Once I got more comfortable on the bike at speed, I was able to relax.
As mentioned before, your core should be doing most of the work. Squeeze the tank under braking, outside knee up against the tank while hanging off.
Anyway, maybe that's not your problem, just my $.02.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

i just got back from road america about 10 min ago and i feel like i was run over by a truck. VERY sore. i have been working out daily for the past 2 months to get ready for the track season, too. just the way it goes, i guess...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
TRAVELER

Bike: '07 "50th Anniversary" R6

As you get better/comfortable on the track, you'll find that you don't need to brake so much. You can carry a lot more speed than you think or realize entering the corner. As I enter a turn, I will shift my body and use my inner thigh (right if i am turning left and vice versa) to take the brunt when i slow down while I use my engine braking a lot more which means I am not "squeezing" the tank with my thighs and also less wrist/arm trying to hold my body up.

It does two things for you. One, your chassis and suspension is not getting tweaked as you come into a turn and two your arms does not put unnecessary steering input onto your steering. Relaxed means you're smoother. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Ultimately your not working so hard trying to control your bike which means you won't be as sore. HTH.

Robin

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Moderator Narcissist

Bike: 2009 White R1

Yeah, I got intensely sore after my last TD. It took about 4 days for my stupid legs to get over it...I learned: stretch.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Yeah, I *know* all the stuff about body position, holding on with legs / core, relaxing on the bars, etc. but actually doing it is a different story. The bike definitely does everything better when I'm nice and light on the bars. Bumps disappear, I can turn in faster, it goes exactly where I want... but my legs start tiring out after a few sessions and it starts taking a lot of focus to not start compensating with my arms.

When I'm on top of my game I'll hit the gym 3 times a week. Lots of deadlifts and squats with low weight and high reps, stationary bike and jump rope intervals for cardio. I've also started doing a bit of yoga which seems like it ought to be great for the track.

It sounds like it's possible to get myself sorted out so I'm not that sore. I'd really love to be able to hit up a whole weekend. Gotta get crackin' on those weights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in