Cornering advice NEEDED! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Cornering advice NEEDED!

Hey guys, I just picked up a 05 R6 and I am newbie to a 600. Had a Ninja 250 for a few months.. and this bike feels completely different. Just a quick question about cornering..

When you are coming to a corner and you counter-steer to get the bike leaned over. Do you turn the front wheel back to face the corner after the initial lean? Or do you keep it counter-steered throughout the turn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001
Re: Cornering advice NEEDED!

don't think about it so much. just ride - under control - and you'll slowly get the hang of it. i know i can make turns, but i don't pay attention to what my hands are doing. they just DO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for the fast response..I'm trying to get an understanding of what you "should be" doing. I know most of it just happens naturally without having to think about it but still would be nice to have some info.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: A snail

Look where you want to go and not where you are going and be smooth and steady on the throttle and your hands should naturally do what they are suppose to with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherHalf View Post
Got permission from the hubby to get out of the kitchen and post on a thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoe007 View Post
"Never try and teach a pig how to sing. It just wastes your time and pisses off the pig."

RIP Jason (snocompton) you were an amazing guy and will be missed

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Don't think about it so much in terms of trying to change the direction of the front wheel.

How hard you press will determine how quickly the bike leans over. Press/push to get the lean and trajectory you want, then ease up on the pressure.

The front tire will naturally flop back over into the turn once you set your lean angle. If you physically try to turn it back, you're essentially counter steering the other way, and it's going to stand the bike back up.

The ergonomics of the two bikes may feel way different, but they will counter-steer in exactly the same way. Just do what you did on your Ninja and it'll behave as expected.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
The front tire will naturally flop back over into the turn once you set your lean angle.
This is what I experienced..which is why I'm asking this question. When I was turning, I pressed left and leaned left. When I started to lean I felt the front kind of turn back towards corner (bar turning left), so I'm trying to clarify am I suppose to keep the bar pressed left? Or do I let it steer back and hold/adjust from there?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

So basically after the initial counter-steer lean. Do I keep the front counter-steered or does it go back inline with my corner line?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Apply pressure to set the lean, once the bike is leaned as far as you want/need it, you can release the pressure. You shouldn't be trying to hold the wheel pointed in a specific direction. You want to let the wheel flop back.

You want to make a fast, smooth steering input to set the angle, and then be loose on the bars to let the front end do it's thing.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Apply pressure to set the lean, once the bike is leaned as far as you want/need it, you can release the pressure. You shouldn't be trying to hold the wheel pointed in a specific direction. You want to let the wheel flop back.

You want to make a fast, smooth steering input to set the angle, and then be loose on the bars to let the front end do it's thing.
That answers my questions, Thanks !
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800

Have you taken an MSF course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in