sprocket advice needed. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
my life is a SNAFU

Question sprocket advice needed.

So i have been doing pretty well learning my wheelies. the only problem is, as most of you know, the 07 r-6 is not the most wheelie friendly bike. I can really only wheelie first gear because the bike wont pop up second in a sit down. So i am looking to change my gear ratio so my gears are shorter making it easier to wheelie. The only problem is i dont want a stunters gear ratio. i still want to be able to cruise on the highway at 80 without winding the shit outta my engine. can anyone tell me what size sprockets they use or give me any advice on what ratio or chain size i should get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I eat my R6

Re: sprocket advice needed.

theres mad threads on this on here so im sure someone is gonna come in and bug out on you but ill answer it for u ..

You could go a few options ... you can do stock chain size and just go down -1 in the front

or you could do a 520 conversion and go -1 +2 or -1 +3

I have -1 on the stock 532 chain on my 03 r6 it cost me 30 bucks for the sprocket and took like an hr to do... I get alot more low end tq now/less bog and clutch up in 1st sitting is mad easy... havent done too many in 2nd gear

i had -1 +2 on my 05 ninja 636 and that makes sitting down and wheeliing a lot easier as well as crazy acceleration but lower top end
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles

Track tech
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
my life is a SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
theres mad threads on this on here so im sure someone is gonna come in and bug out on you but ill answer it for u ..

You could go a few options ... you can do stock chain size and just go down -1 in the front

or you could do a 520 conversion and go -1 +2 or -1 +3

I have -1 on the stock 532 chain on my 03 r6 it cost me 30 bucks for the sprocket and took like an hr to do... I get alot more low end tq now/less bog and clutch up in 1st sitting is mad easy... havent done too many in 2nd gear

i had -1 +2 on my 05 ninja 636 and that makes sitting down and wheeliing a lot easier as well as crazy acceleration but lower top end

Do you know a good place to order the parts?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

I've got a 15/50t 520 setup for sale. LMK.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Suk it, Lee

I have the 06 and had alot of trouble getting it up in second, and I still have stock gearing. If you really dont want to change the sprockets, try a different technique to get it up. Take the bike to 7-8 revs, while still on the throttle, all in one motion pull the clutch in just enough to slip it give the bike a good bounce rev the engine a good amount ( start small and work your way up until it really flies up on you ) and pull up, just stay on the gas hard when the tire comes off the ground and it will fly right up for you. The key is to stay hard on the gas, and get past the fear. Guaranteed with some trial and error it will come up every time for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Stunt Rider

Bike: R6/R1 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5544 View Post
I have the 06 and had alot of trouble getting it up in second, and I still have stock gearing. If you really dont want to change the sprockets, try a different technique to get it up. Take the bike to 7-8 revs, while still on the throttle, all in one motion pull the clutch in just enough to slip it give the bike a good bounce rev the engine a good amount ( start small and work your way up until it really flies up on you ) and pull up, just stay on the gas hard when the tire comes off the ground and it will fly right up for you. The key is to stay hard on the gas, and get past the fear. Guaranteed with some trial and error it will come up every time for you.
I know this shop that sells "SKILLS" you're free to buy some if you'd like. Hit me up, I'll send you their link.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLais813 View Post
Do you know a good place to order the parts?
the stock size -1 i just had my dealer get for me...

otherwise for the full conversion kit try motomummy.com someone recommended that to me... if your doing it your self your gonn ahave to order the chain tool kit as well
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Now you see me...

Bike: 2007 R6 candy red
Send a message via Skype™ to icepic

you need to give it more yut ugh!

REFLASHED YEC ECU
ZEITRONIX DATA LOGGER W/TWEEKER
SPEEDO DRD
DRIVEN 15T (-1) 525 FRONT SPROCKET
GYTR AIR FILTER
SMOG BLOCK OFFS
GP STYLE REVERSE SHIFTING
T-TUNER MID PIPE (WELDED)
STOCK HEADERS & SLIP ON W/ EXUP CUT OUT
ACCUMEN GEAR INDICATOR
GORILLA ALARM
90 DEGREE ANGLED RED ALUMINUM VALVE STEMS
TRACTION PADS
LP CARBON FIBER FRAME SLIDERS

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Suk it, Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepic View Post
you need to give it more yut ugh!
Agreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in