Beater Bike For Track Days: Thoughts? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
HONKEY KONG

Bike: 2010 R6
Beater Bike For Track Days: Thoughts?

Im looking into picking up a beater bike for track days (250/500R, GS500, SV, etc) and wanted to get the opinions of you guys that do track days. Im looking to do this to improve my riding skills and really dont want to go the route of setting up my R6 to do it. Id snatch a beater, prep it and drag it to the track and leave the R6 for pleasure. That may change later but thats the plan for now. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2004 R6
Re: Beater Bike For Track Days: Thoughts?

When you say beater, what price range are you talking? I know here in Phila a guy had an 02 SV for sale that coulda made a decent track bike going for $1200. You can get a well set up 03-04 R6 for $2500-$3k...that's what I did.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
HONKEY KONG

Like $1500-$2k. Found a local 01 Kawi 250 in mint condition for $1200. Its cheap enough that I can insure it if I want to so I can ride here or still take it to the track to beat it up. Plus theres plenty of replacement parts available for that model

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

find a salvage/no-title third generation. i'm into mine for ~$2350.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
www.1seven1.com

Find a track prepped SV650. Great track day bike and easy on tires. Second choice would be a prepped '06+ R6 or '03+ CBR600

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
HONKEY KONG

Just found browsing. Thoughts?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2004 R6

For $800 you can beat the hell outta it...just not exactly close by. TPM is going to be at VIR next week, could ask him to bring it and check it out???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
HONKEY KONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuber2_S View Post

For $800 you can beat the hell outta it...just not exactly close by. TPM is going to be at VIR next week, could ask him to bring it and check it out???
PM inbound
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

If you've got the cash & space for it, seems like a great idea to me.

What's your reason for not wanting to take the R6 to the track? You mentioned not wanting to set it up for the track, but it takes about half an hour to get prepped to pass tech for most organizations. There's almost no setup involved.

If you'd rather not risk binning your shiny new bike at a track day, that's totally understandable - but if it's just the time investment for swapping between street/track, you shouldn't sweat it. I daily drive my R6 and have been doing a track day a month since February and it's really a piece of cake to prep the bike.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSickRip View Post
Just found browsing. Thoughts?

If you weigh 145lbs and the guy will take a little less, that's a great cheap track bike.

We still have a bunch of '03 CBRs running around Miller left over from Freddie's schools. They're beat, but good cheap track bikes.

-D

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in