Loading 2 bikes in pickup truck? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6 - Raven
Loading 2 bikes in pickup truck?

Does anybody have any advice for loading 2 bikes into the back of a pickup truck?

My friend and I each have an R6 and are headed to NJMP with Team ProMotion this weekend. We rented the largest pickup that Enterprise has. We measured everything, and the bikes will fit in the bed. Also, I previously had posted on here and other members advised me that they will fit as long as they face opposite directions.

I am trying to determine the best/easiest way to load them. Back one in first, then the other one in forward, or the other way around? Left side bike faces forward, right side faces forward? Anyone with experience that can help me out with some tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes
Drain the tank and lift them up. Muscle baby!

Lol all joking aside ramps and couple buddys should make it easier to push it up

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Re: Loading 2 bikes in pickup truck?

I have a couple ramps, and I'm hoping a couple friends who are free.

Also any tips on tying them down so they don't bang into each other. There are 4 hooks in the truck and we have 8 tie downs. Was going to put some bubble wrap on anything close.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

i fit 2 in mine, both facing forward, all the time. just have to feed the "inside tie-down" through the front wheel of the adjacent bike.

HOWEVER, this is a pita... and as a solution to this pain, i drilled my bed, and added two additional tie-down mounting points in the middle of the bed.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I eat my R6

Alright, me and my friend, another forum member did this. Very simple to do. Load the bikes one at a time. So for example, youlload yours on the left side. (if you have canyon dancers, itll be easier.) if not, your gonna tie it down through the your forks. Kinda hard to explain.

But load your bike first say on the left side. Try to get it as much as to the left as possible, just to prevent rubbing from the other bike, and itll be easier when loading up the other one as well, more clearance in the middle. Tie dowb the left side of your bike first, do it pretty decent, then leave a SOME slackk to let it lean to the right. So it will be able to be held up by itself. Then load the other bike up and do the same, but opposite. Your gonna have your bikes right side tie down run through the front of your friends bike's tire. Then same for his through your front tires. That's it!!

If you can load bikes by yourself, then one person can sit on the bike to hold it up if you dont want it leaning. Just be careful if it's leaning to not accidentaly hit it.

Hope that helps.

2013 Sponsors:
, Geared Up Moto,

Build Thread:
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

PM 3rd geer, he built a nice chock for pick up trucks.

For loading it, you will need 2 ramps, have friends help you as it's tricky at first. I prefer to feather the clutch and let the bike go up on it's own instead of having guys push it.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
The track is crack.

Unfortunately I don't have time to build or buy a chock, and I can't bolt anything to the bed since it's a rental.

The consensus seems to be that the bikes can both fit in facing forward. That would be much easier than trying to back one up a ramp. However, just looking at 2 bikes next to each other this seems like there might be some pieces that could get a little too close for comfort. I'll take your word for it though and give it a shot. Maybe I'll try to document it with pics and post a How To thread for future dummies like me.

Thanks.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by three3eye View Post
Unfortunately I don't have time to build or buy a chock, and I can't bolt anything to the bed since it's a rental.

The consensus seems to be that the bikes can both fit in facing forward. That would be much easier than trying to back one up a ramp. However, just looking at 2 bikes next to each other this seems like there might be some pieces that could get a little too close for comfort. I'll take your word for it though and give it a shot. Maybe I'll try to document it with pics and post a How To thread for future dummies like me.

Thanks.
Without anything holding your front wheel in place(chock) you can have it turn a bit and might be bad. Not sure how stable it would be.

What Walt built was done in 2 hours.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 AM
2008 R6

OK, so this is what you wanna do buddy. I was/am in your same situation until I buy a truck within the next week or two. I got the idea from Anthony (chief) and then John (jmejiaa) helped me build it. It's really easy to build.

You buy two chocks at Harbor Freight ($20 a piece I think), a bunch of bolts and washers from home depot, and some 1"x10" wood, and some 1"x4" wood. All together this cost me about $60-$70.

The idea here is that with a rental there are only 4 tie downs. This means you can only truly tie down one bike properly! So since it's a rental and you can't do what Agg suggested above, what I built was a way to add 2 more tie downs without f-cking with the truck. This way the two bikes line up perfectly next to each other.

To tie them down, you need to also buy Canyon Dancers from a bike shop or online (cost me $25 a piece I think), and some tie downs from home depot ($15 for 4).

Just copy this same thing I built below. I think I only made mine 4 feet wide because I would rather not have any issues where the wheels come up in the bed of the truck depending on which type of truck I got.

edit - You'll notice I put one chock ahead of the other. This was intentional. This is so the hand grips aren't bumping in to each other and have room to go down to the tie down.

2 hours to build!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------------------
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 r6, 2012 cbr 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-Geer View Post
OK, so this is what you wanna do buddy. I was/am in your same situation until I buy a truck within the next week or two. I got the idea from Anthony (chief) and then John (jmejiaa) helped me build it. It's really easy to build.

You buy two chocks at Harbor Freight ($20 a piece I think), a bunch of bolts and washers from home depot, and some 1"x10" wood, and some 1"x4" wood. All together this cost me about $60-$70.

The idea here is that with a rental there are only 4 tie downs. This means you can only truly tie down one bike properly! So since it's a rental and you can't do what Agg suggested above, what I built was a way to add 2 more tie downs without f-cking with the truck. This way the two bikes line up perfectly next to each other.

To tie them down, you need to also buy Canyon Dancers from a bike shop or online (cost me $25 a piece I think), and some tie downs from home depot ($15 for 4).

Just copy this same thing I built below. I think I only made mine 4 feet wide because I would rather not have any issues where the wheels come up in the bed of the truck depending on which type of truck I got.

edit - You'll notice I put one chock ahead of the other. This was intentional. This is so the hand grips aren't bumping in to each other and have room to go down to the tie down.

2 hours to build!

great build sir..how far apart was the two chock?

edir: what are those two O-rings thingy in the front/middle for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in