Building a decent track bike - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Remind Me Later

Building a decent track bike

Hope I dont agitate any of yall regulars with this post as im sure its the same as many previous to it, i just wanted to avoid sifting through dozens of other threads with a search even though i gained a small bit of knowledge doing so. im currently in afghanistan and like most people deployed i plan on spending a good chunk on my bike (wife willing hah). i want to hit chuckwalla sometime after getting comfortable again upon my return and just wanted a little bit of advice as to what add ons i should invest in, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Re: Building a decent track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velazquez View Post
Hope I dont agitate any of yall regulars with this post as im sure its the same as many previous to it, i just wanted to avoid sifting through dozens of other threads with a search even though i gained a small bit of knowledge doing so. im currently in afghanistan and like most people deployed i plan on spending a good chunk on my bike (wife willing hah). i want to hit chuckwalla sometime after getting comfortable again upon my return and just wanted a little bit of advice as to what add ons i should invest in, thanks in advance.
i'm sort of a minimalist by necessity. the total of my mods include; armour bodies race fairings, puig windscreen, spiegler lines, vesrah rjl pads and a fresh set of dunlop q2 tires.

you don't really need much to get your bike on the track. in years past, i was just using my street fairings and taping over the lights. save your $$ for track time instead...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Remind Me Later

hah thats seriously alot easier than dishing out a bunch of dough, i feel dumb, i felt obligated to spend all this money just to get it prepped

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles

Spend the money on track time and tires. Forget all the rest of the stuff "needed" for the track. Get out there with what you have and work up later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Agreed about the minimalist approach. The thing that's going to have the biggest effect on getting faster is more time on the track. Tank grip pads are pretty useful for what you pay for 'em. Once you do some track days you'll start to figure out what stuff is really useful for you.

But like S3aturnR said, just get some good tires, tape that bish up, and get out there! CVR is GREAT track. If you want some company in the pits, feel free to hit me up when you're back stateside and looking to get out there.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Remind Me Later

tires being the obvious no pattern soft ones meant for the track correct? how much do they usually run? and the obvious taping of the lights and removal of mirrors and suit what else is usually required?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Remind Me Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Agreed about the minimalist approach. The thing that's going to have the biggest effect on getting faster is more time on the track. Tank grip pads are pretty useful for what you pay for 'em. Once you do some track days you'll start to figure out what stuff is really useful for you.

But like S3aturnR said, just get some good tires, tape that bish up, and get out there! CVR is GREAT track. If you want some company in the pits, feel free to hit me up when you're back stateside and looking to get out there.
thanks man im definitely going to have to, i know ive probably acumulated a handful of bad habits riding on my own up the twisties, cant wait to improve
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
zomething different

Bike: 07 R6s

+1 to what was suggested. i recommend that you get your suspension dialed up properly. best 30 bucks i spent on my bike.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and thanks for your service!

...if i don't make it home today, god bless. dot cheers
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Remind Me Later

man i keep hearing about this whole suspension thing, im sure mine isnt where it should be seeing as how i bought it used and never messed with anything on it, can a local dealer do that for me?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
zomething different

Bike: 07 R6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velazquez View Post
man i keep hearing about this whole suspension thing, im sure mine isnt where it should be seeing as how i bought it used and never messed with anything on it, can a local dealer do that for me?
just get it set up at the track if you don't have a local suspension guy. there's also some very good info in the
section.

...if i don't make it home today, god bless. dot cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in