Advice on Cornering/BP/Seating etc.. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Advice on Cornering/BP/Seating etc..

I'm a fairly new rider who upgraded from a 250 to a R6. Its an amazing bike, lots of power and amazing flickability, which is good and bad atleast for me. The good is it makes it easier to corner and move around. The bad is that the slightest input and it moves the bike.

I know my body positioning is completly wrong and 300miles on the R6 and i still havent found that sweet spot regarding to seating. Im also having trouble gripping the tank which is causing cramps in my hands and horrible feedback when cornering.

I pretty much got everything else covered on the R6. Just having a real hard time taking corners correctly.

I set money aside for about 5 trackdays in the next two months, and will also be taking the classes there.

Besides that is there any advice, online articles or videos that can help me with my BP, correct way to sit and grip the tank and cornering?

Thanks, Victor
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6
Re: Advice on Cornering/BP/Seating etc..

locals are Chief and John, talk to them and have them SHOW you. They have a good head start when it comes to track and I think they will be willing to help out
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are lot of videos on youtube, to start off here's one that I used from my local TD instructor:

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM
AFM #327

Bike: 16 R3, 17R6

another one:

AFM #327
2019 Sponsors:

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Tank grip pads might be a worthwhile investment. It'll help you stay put and not slide up onto the tank on the brakes.

Also, are you talking about going out and hitting the twisties, or riding around in traffic?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6rammy View Post
locals are Chief and John, talk to them and have them SHOW you. They have a good head start when it comes to track and I think they will be willing to help out
The NJ Summer BBQ is this weekend, alot of members are going to be there. I'll be sure to ask alot of questions lol. I also plan on doing track days with John and Chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
Tank grip pads might be a worthwhile investment. It'll help you stay put and not slide up onto the tank on the brakes.

Also, are you talking about going out and hitting the twisties, or riding around in traffic?
Yeah i'm picking up some Grips. I'm talking about Twisties. New York City streets arent ideal for high speed cornering
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_R6 View Post
Yeah i'm picking up some Grips. I'm talking about Twisties. New York City streets arent ideal for high speed cornering
personally I think you need to get to know your bike better before you hit twist.

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamzeppelin View Post
personally I think you need to get to know your bike better before you hit twist.
explain please.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_R6 View Post
explain please.
Dude you just got the 6 it hasn't been a week and you want to do some canyon carving. I'm not trying to be an asshole but getting comfortable with the bike and really knowing how much power you had at the twist of your wrist doesn't come that fast. The R6 is a totally different beast then a 250, yes the bike is forgiving but only to an extent.

I just think you need more seat time before tackling some hairpins.

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I understand what your saying, but how will i improve my skills especially in corners if i dont go out on them?

I'm just trying to do anything i can to learn and improve my skills. I take all advice given!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: A snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherHalf View Post
Got permission from the hubby to get out of the kitchen and post on a thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoe007 View Post
"Never try and teach a pig how to sing. It just wastes your time and pisses off the pig."

RIP Jason (snocompton) you were an amazing guy and will be missed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in