track bodywork and exhausts - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 09 R6, orange
track bodywork and exhausts

So I'm doing my homework on exhaust fitment, before my wood craft armour bodies track bodywork arrives, and it seems like it'll be a tight fit. I've already bought some heat shield to throw on the fairings.

I'm running a stock exhaust system, with only a m4 gp style slip on muffler. Is this cheapest, with doing it right thing to do? cut the back of the headers off, and weld a connector pipe to the muffler and get a power commander since theres no back pressure w/o a cat?

I've heard several people talk about grabbing a set of 03-05 headers, any input on what thats all about?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
My R6 eat tires for lunch

Bike: 07r6-06r1
Re: track bodywork and exhausts

05 headers has no cat. So you'll get a little gain on HP, kind of like a cheaper full system.

btw got 1 for sale too
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09oranger6frommd View Post
So I'm doing my homework on exhaust fitment, before my wood craft armour bodies track bodywork arrives, and it seems like it'll be a tight fit. I've already bought some heat shield to throw on the fairings.

I'm running a stock exhaust system, with only a m4 gp style slip on muffler. Is this cheapest, with doing it right thing to do? cut the back of the headers off, and weld a connector pipe to the muffler and get a power commander since theres no back pressure w/o a cat?

I've heard several people talk about grabbing a set of 03-05 headers, any input on what thats all about?

thanks.
i think you're over thinking it. i have an 09 r6 with armour bodies race fairings and a stock exhaust and there were no fitment issues at all. none...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thanks for the pictures once again man. i plan on painting my track bodywork in the same vivid orange color. do you know the color code?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Aint_too_Ghetto, check your inbox.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
track junkie

Quote:
thanks for the pictures once again man. i plan on painting my track bodywork in the same vivid orange color. do you know the color code?
nope. and, my advice is this; don't bother. the problem is if you paint it with exactly the stock paint, you will likely pay double what the fairings cost you. my paint guy looked around and got a paint that was "close enough" and saved me a shit-ton of $$$. even in direct sunlight, the best i can do is tell that there's no metal flake in the race fairings paint.

if you do the same, you'll be happy you did. i'm a TOTAL perfectionist about goofy things (like paint) and i was worried that it wouldn't look right. i was very happy...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thanks, i sorta figured that. do you know who atleast makes the paint so when i go to a painter i can give him somewhere to start looking ? and btw, seems like you and i have similar personalities, lol. will the stock windscreen work with the track bodywork? sorry for all the questions man.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

o5 headers gave me fitment issues in the front so I just had to cut them down a bit. This is with optimals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
track junkie

Quote:
thanks, i sorta figured that. do you know who atleast makes the paint so when i go to a painter i can give him somewhere to start looking ? and btw, seems like you and i have similar personalities, lol. will the stock windscreen work with the track bodywork? sorry for all the questions man.
no worries. i'll check with my paint guy and see what he used. it may be a day or two before i get back to you on that, tho.

as far as the windscreen; there is a tab at the bottom of the stock windscreen that isn't notched out on the race plastics. so, you either need to notch the race fairings or grind off the tabs on the stock screen to make it fit right. the aftermarket screen i got from puig does not have the tabs, so it was a direct fit. also fits on the stock fairings without any problems...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

thanks for all your input man !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in