Penske mounting question - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Motorcycles rock!!

Bike: 2005 Yamaha R6
Penske mounting question

The Penske shock has eyelet holes that are 0.500-inches in diameter, but the OEM mounting bolts are only 10 mm (0.393-inches). What are you folks doing: (1) using a sleeve/spacer to take up the clearance, (2) just using the stock 10 mm bolt, or (3) other?

If you are using a sleeve/spacer, did you just fabricate them yourself, buy them, other?

-------------------------------
Sportbikes rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: stupid ones and a Prius
Re: Penske mounting question

I suggest giving Penske a call and seeing what their tech support has to say.

When you want to win, when there is no substitute for the best, when you don't want to feel the sting of second place, you really only have one place to turn.

EDR Performance, because their fast is faster than everyone else's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Did u get it new or used? I know with ohlins the installation manual is step by step in detail and accurate to the 'T'.

Subscribed for info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Motorcycles rock!!

I picked it up used. The manual that was downloaded from their web site has a lot of information, just no installation notes. That is fine as the shock only attaches via two bolts.

I am most likely going to replace the fluid, so I may just ask Penske if the sell any spacers.

I was just curious what other folks were doing.

Sportbikes rock!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6forum997 View Post
I picked it up used. The manual that was downloaded from their web site has a lot of information, just no installation notes. That is fine as the shock only attaches via two bolts.

I am most likely going to replace the fluid, so I may just ask Penske if the sell any spacers.

I was just curious what other folks were doing.
+1 on wanting to know what others are doing. Keep us posted!

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Pin it to win it!

For the upper mounting I use the Penske supplied spacers. For the bottom clevis mount I use the OEM bolts and no slop.

2011 Sponsors- CS Carey Racing Inc., Woodcraft, Amour Bodies, Vortex, Amsoil, Bazzaz
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Motorcycles rock!!

Penske sells bushings that are $10.60 each for my specific application.

I could probably buy 1/2-inch OD spacers for less, but then I would have to drill out the ID to fit a 10 mm bolt. Thus, I will probably just buy the bushings from Penske and call it a day.

I am probably going to replace the fluid as well, so I will wait to see if it needs any additional parts and make one order.

Sportbikes rock!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
#113 MetricDevilMoto

Bike: '10R6 & '05R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6forum997 View Post
The Penske shock has eyelet holes that are 0.500-inches in diameter, but the OEM mounting bolts are only 10 mm (0.393-inches). What are you folks doing: (1) using a sleeve/spacer to take up the clearance, (2) just using the stock 10 mm bolt, or (3) other?

If you are using a sleeve/spacer, did you just fabricate them yourself, buy them, other?

i can point you in the direction of Penske's leading east coast tech who also happens to be my team owner. "Metric" Mike Faillace can answer your question pretty definitively if you're interested. he'd answer the question on his forum @
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Just trying to help. Good luck!

Team MetricDevilMoto Racing #113

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Parts Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by luta View Post
i can point you in the direction of Penske's leading east coast tech who also happens to be my team owner. "Metric" Mike Faillace can answer your question pretty definitively if you're interested. he'd answer the question on his forum @
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Just trying to help. Good luck!
Since you guys deal with Penske a LOT, what's your opinion on it vs the ohlins TTX or even the YA-606(which may be more comparable)?

-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
#113 MetricDevilMoto

Bike: '10R6 & '05R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Since you guys deal with Penske a LOT, what's your opinion on it vs the ohlins TTX or even the YA-606(which may be more comparable)?
Well, what I like best about the Penske is that the shock can be used on a different bike if you choose to get a new bike or whatever just by changing a few internal bits. I think thats much more practical than buying a new shock for each bike. I'm also seeing a lot more AMA teams going with Penske as well. Yosh Suzuki is one of the better teams rocking the Penske's alongside the Ohlins. They've said that the Penske requires a lot less set up to get the desired effect. I'm just not fast enough to feel a difference between the makes of shocks though. I just got the 8983 installed on my bike in the beginning of the season and love it!

Team MetricDevilMoto Racing #113

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in