Yet another wrist pain thread - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 13 R6
Send a message via AIM to carnut101
Yet another wrist pain thread

Yes, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I searched and searched and couldn't find anything specific to the issue I'm having.

My left wrist hurts from using the clutch, and it's gotten progressively worse fairly quickly. The pain is in the outer (pinky) side of the wrist. My body position may not be perfect, but I do a good job of keeping weight off of the bars. My arms are not locked and I can completely let go of the bars and move my arms without my torso moving. Besides, if that were the case (which seems to be the most common problem in other threads that came up in a search), both wrists would hurt all the time. This is definitely from clutch use since the problem is worse when I ride around town shifting all the time compared to freeway riding.

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff
Re: Yet another wrist pain thread

Maybe you're not doing anything wrong and you've got carpal tunnel or something. If you know it's not wrist/elbow position or holding on to tight, here's some things to try...

- Make sure the clutch is adjusted. You should only need a tiny little pull on your downshifts.
- When's the last time you lubed the cable? I get a much lighter pull when I keep on top of this.
- Do you use the clutch on your upshifts? Might be able to cut out half the shifting you do and give your wrist a rest. I only use my clutch for starting out from a stand still, and most downshifts.
- Get an adjustable clutch lever so you don't have to reach so far.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Damn, I was hoping it would be rider error since that's the easiest thing to fix. Carpal tunnel is a possibility, but I've only had the bike for a few weeks and I thought carpal tunnel took years to get. Then again, I spend a lot of time typing. I'm going to look into lubing the cable since that has never been done, as far as I know.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Le Troll

Bike: Invisibike

are you new to riding? I had that problem for several weeks when I started riding. I like to compare it to soreness after working out. You have to work through it and sooner or later, it disappears. Worked for me. But I feel your pain, it is miserable at first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LIKE!--->
<---LIKE!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Not entirely new to riding, but I didn't ride as often until I got this bike because I didn't own any of the bikes I rode. This is my first sportbike, so it could be that. The problem didn't exist with cruisers. I suppose it could be that I'm not used to it, but it seems strange to me that it's getting worse.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 AM
ttd

One possibility is the height of your clutch lever (and brake lever)

When you are in the normal riding position for using your levers, lay your fingers over the top of the levers.

It should be almost a straight line from your elbow to your finger tips.

Most riders have the levers way too high or low... which puts undo stress on the wrist.

Tony
Ride the Track!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Adjust the lever so that when you are on it your wrist isn't at a sharp angle. The bike is meant to be layed on, not ridden sitting upright.. I'm sure that's part of the issue. Hold the tank with your legs and support your body's weight. If you don't your wrists will hurt. U should barely be holding the bars at all, and should have your arms loose enough to be flapped like a chicken. The only way to be that loose is to hold your body up with your legs.

I have carpal tunnel and have to use a mouse left handed now. Both my wrists are fcuked, and I can ride for hours. If I get lazy my wrists start to hurt.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Adjust the lever so that when you are on it your wrist isn't at a sharp angle.
This is it. I noticed it tonight. While riding at speed I'm totally light on the bars, and my wrists and elbows line up well. As soon as I hit traffic or a light, as I slow down to under 15mph or so, I start to stand up a bit and my wrist is at an angle. I can especially feel it when I'm standing at a red light squeezing the clutch.

So do I just deal with it? I can't imagine staying down low on the tank at low speed or while counter-weighting through a slow turn. Then again, there's a reason why these things aren't commuter bikes.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM
ttd

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut101 View Post
I can especially feel it when I'm standing at a red light squeezing the clutch.

So do I just deal with it? I can't imagine staying down low on the tank at low speed or while counter-weighting through a slow turn. Then again, there's a reason why these things aren't commuter bikes.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
If you think about it, your brake and clutch are not used when you are laying on the tank... they are used when you are upright.

Adjust your levers for the upright position... not a full tuck.

Tony
Ride the Track!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut101 View Post
This is it. I noticed it tonight. While riding at speed I'm totally light on the bars, and my wrists and elbows line up well. As soon as I hit traffic or a light, as I slow down to under 15mph or so, I start to stand up a bit and my wrist is at an angle. I can especially feel it when I'm standing at a red light squeezing the clutch.

Figured this would be the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post
If you think about it, your brake and clutch are not used when you are laying on the tank... they are used when you are upright.

Adjust your levers for the upright position... not a full tuck.
I would try this. Any updates OP?

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in