Braking while blipping - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 R6
Braking while blipping

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for smooth braking while blipping the throttle down the gears?

Yes, I did use the search function
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, but all I found was endless threads about blipping technique... I feel like my blipping itself is fine, I知 just struggling to keep my braking even when doing it. I picked up blipping very quickly, but I知 just getting nowhere with the braking.

I know a lot of it is just going to come down to more practise, but if anyone has any tips they found when learning themselves, I知 very interested. I知 currently using two fingers on the brakes... index and middle... mostly because others have said they had better results this way... I feel like I was maybe a little smoother on the braking when I was using all fingers on the lever, but I do like being able to keep my other fingers on the bar now that I知 used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2012 R6 project tracker
Re: Braking while blipping

Well I only use my index finger to brake that way I still have control of the throttle but I know some guys use there index and thumb to control the throttle while the other three fingers brake. It all comes down to how you are comfortable in doing it. If what you are currently doing isn't working I would try somehting different. It might feel weird but just do something different. It does come down to practice but some teachers would tell you to just concentrate on one thing each session until it becomes habit. Until you just don't have to think about it until it is just a reflex instead of a reaction.

I am no pro by any means but this is some of what I have learned out on the track taking advice from lots of people. One thing to remember is there is not just one right way to do things there are many and it just comes down to personal riding style. If you ever meet ayone who tells you there is only one right way or one right line listen to them politely and just remember that they are wrong. Do what works for you and get plenty of practice.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

You can try adjusting your brake lever to be closer to the bar. That'll give you a little 'slack' in your fingers so that blipping the throttle isn't going to force you to pull harder on the brakes.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Derp

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching81 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for smooth braking while blipping the throttle down the gears?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, but all I found was endless threads about blipping technique... I feel like my blipping itself is fine, I知 just struggling to keep my braking even when doing it. I picked up blipping very quickly, but I知 just getting nowhere with the braking.

I know a lot of it is just going to come down to more practise, but if anyone has any tips they found when learning themselves, I知 very interested. I知 currently using two fingers on the brakes... index and middle... mostly because others have said they had better results this way... I feel like I was maybe a little smoother on the braking when I was using all fingers on the lever, but I do like being able to keep my other fingers on the bar now that I知 used to it.
You got an 08, don't worry bout blipping.

I actually blip out of habit, even though I really don't need to. I use two fingers on the brake and use my thumb and palm to blip. Hard to describe really.

STT SOUTHERN DIVISION STAFF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Like_You View Post
but some teachers would tell you to just concentrate on one thing each session until it becomes habit.
Good point, I think I might start just getting the hand position right and stable without actually putting a lot of force on the brakes, since that is when it all gets very sloppy... I usually start shifting down early when approaching say a red light anyway, and often end up using the brakes barely at all, but at least if I drag the brakes a little every time it might start to feel more natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallis View Post
You can try adjusting your brake lever to be closer to the bar. That'll give you a little 'slack' in your fingers so that blipping the throttle isn't going to force you to pull harder on the brakes.
I have Pazzo shorties, so I'll give this a try. I've just left it on 4 since I bought the bike. yut ught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
But it sounds so cool!
But seriously, on the odd occassion I haven't blipped lately, I've noticed how much rougher the shifts are, even with the slipper clutch. Back when I had my 250, I got the back end real gnarly a couple of times from downshifting without blipping,that sort of scared me into always blipping and I find it hard not to anymore.

Quote:
I actually blip out of habit, even though I really don't need to. I use two fingers on the brake and use my thumb and palm to blip. Hard to describe really.
Yeah, sounds pretty close to how I'm doing it at the moment.

Last edited by Searching81; 06-29-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Make noise.

Bike: The kind with pedals...

Quote:

^^^^This.

/thread.

RESPECT Jason Jones
2/23/87 - 11/4/11

Drawing by me, sig by GIJoe007.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM
track junkie

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching81 View Post

it's difficult to learn if you're trying to do it on the street. when on the track, it's a quick and violent action done while you have a FIRM grip on the brake lever. on the street it's sorta like trying to type with heavy leather gloves on...

s3aturnr

...the 3 is silent
2009 yamaha r6
WERA Expert #68
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
www.1seven1.com

Practice!

Actually, if you do the slipperclutch mod and are smooth with your clutch release you don't really need to "blip." I do, but only because I've done it for like 30 years and it's engrained in my riding technique. If I was starting out, I'd spend more time practicing smooth braking, throttle and clutch.

A really good drill Pridmore teaches is to keep a constant speed and go up and down in gears holding that speed. Stay at about 40, and go 1-2-3-4-5-6, 6-5-4-3-2-1 releasing the clutch each time. It's tough. I practice this a lot if I find myself getting choppy at the controls.

A HUGE thank you to my 2014 sponsors:

, Fast Line Race Tire, Galfer, Vortex, Sidi Boots, LP Racing,
, XT Racing. Come race at Miller with
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6

Quote:
you got an 08, don't worry bout blipping.

I actually blip out of habit, even though i really don't need to. I use two fingers on the brake and use my thumb and palm to blip. Hard to describe really.
+1...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Bike: 2005 R6 Raven

I've actually been trying to get the hang of this lately for emergency stops and practice when coming up to a light at higher speed. What started working for me was adjusting my hand on the throttle to where the cable had no slack and the throttle would open as soon as I turned it, then put my fingers on the lever and only use my fingertips. This allows me more room to twist the throttle to blip, rather than having more of my fingers over the lever and having to slide them over with the throttle turn (which just made my braking choppy). I use my ring, pinky, and palm with thumb to twist the throttle. It's pretty hard to explain but it's been getting smoother and smoother for me this way. Still mess up sometimes but it's a lot less than the way I tried it before. I can make a vid for you to show you what I mean if you want.

05 Raven

Mods:
Yoshi TRS Carbon Fiber Slip-on
K&N Air Filter
Power Commander PCIII
5000k HIDs
Black Shorty Levers
Black rear sets
Black passenger pegs
Black gas cap
Rear solo cowl
Dark smoke windscreen
Fender eliminator kit
Flush mount front signals
Integrated rear turn signals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in